• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Solar Flare Radiation and Watch Lume

James9

Known Member
25/6/09
I noticed a strange thing last night. I have two watches on my nightstand, a Citizen Eco-drive and my IWC Big Pilot. I turned off the light to hit the hay, then noticed that my two watches seemed to be glowing a bit brighter than usual -- especially the Citizen.

Then I remember the report of an especially large Solar Flare currently hitting the earth. And I wondered if the lume on watches could catch any of that radiation. I'm no scientist, but I did read that solar radiation covers almost the whole electromagnetic span and optimum wavelenghts for lumed watches are from 200-450 nm. Has anyone else noticed this?

Any science types out there?

Jim

Matt Watch

I'm Pretty Popular
12/7/07
Interesting question James9, i would love to hear the answer. I have two of my high-lume watches outside right at this moment.

Member X

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/09
I guess the only way to tell would be leave them by the window and see if they were still very bright an hour or so before sunrise, when it's been dark for a long time and they should be very dim by then.

majwilliams

14/12/10
CONUS
Pretty sure the release of photons is governed by the material not the light source in terms of the lume. That being said, shorter lambdas will energize lume more quickly.

brtelec

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
Ok James9, I have to say this. You need a second hobby. You apparently have way too much free time! LOL

James9

Known Member
25/6/09
I do have too much free time, being retired and all. My second hobby is poker which helps pays for purchases from this, my first hobby. Anyway, regarding lume and solar flares, I sent and email to my old buddy who has several patents in physics and he said that yes, it is possible for solar radiation to enhance luminova for a very short period of time. However he doubted such radiation would penetrate walls enough to make a visible difference. So, nothing definite.

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
seriously I don't think it is strong enough to affect the lume. Luminous pigments asborbs radiation by photons, so only a direct blast can light up your lume:)

WatchnScotch

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
10/12/10
Next time I am going to leave my watches outside to see if they can absorb some of the radiation.... :facepalm:

James9

Known Member
25/6/09
Now here's a thought from somebody who has way too much time on his hands (as someone has already correctly surmised): Microwave overns release photons which heats up the water content in food which, of course, is responsible for the heating of said food.

You're probably shaking your heads seeing where I'm going with this.

But I'll go ahead and lay it out knowing full well the ridicule I'll (rightfully) received.

Luminova absorbs photons. Now just suppose you threw your watch in there for a few seconds -- just a few because the sparks would probably be frightening -- would that enhance the luminova?

So who has an old microwave oven and a cheap or nonworking watch to offer up for scientific inquiry? Naturally wait for the wife to visit her mother preferrably taking the kids (and pets) with her. I'd gladly do the experiment but I'm still recovering from some previous supid endeavor involving super magnets and my previous computer.

Awaiting your reports.

James9

Fiddo

-----
Patron
Certified
16/2/09
In a Causal Loop
Now here's a thought from somebody who has way too much time on his hands (as someone has already correctly surmised): Microwave overns release photons which heats up the water content in food which, of course, is responsible for the heating of said food.

But I'll go ahead and lay it out knowing full well the ridicule I'll (rightfully) received.

Luminova absorbs photons. Now just suppose you threw your watch in there for a few seconds -- just a few because the sparks would probably be frightening -- would that enhance the luminova?

So who has an old microwave oven and a cheap or nonworking watch to offer up for scientific inquiry? Naturally wait for the wife to visit her mother preferrably taking the kids (and pets) with her. I'd gladly do the experiment but I'm still recovering from some previous supid endeavor involving super magnets and my previous computer.

Awaiting your reports.

James9

.....or you just put a little lume powder on plastic dish and give that a try. Although, sparks can be cool!

majwilliams

14/12/10
CONUS
I don't think it would "enhance" the lume per se, but it will "charge" faster then just the visible spectrum. Shorter the wavelength (lambda) the higher the energy. Sunlight can contain a good chunk of the EM spectrum, not just the visible spectrum, this is why it tends to "charge" lume faster than say a desk lamp. That being said the radiation from a CME could "charge" your lume faster due to the higher energy (in this case more photons).

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia

Awaiting your reports.

James9

:facepalm:

TienHsueh78

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/9/09
I highly doubt that any solar flare that is not intense enough to devastate the ozone layer would produce any noticeable effects upon the brightness of a watch. Almost all the high energetic waves that would be produced are stopped by the magnetosphere (Generally anything more energetic than UV-B, so that's why UV-C is not a health risk on earth). http://www.amyshah.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/light-spectrum.JPG Here is an image of the light spectrum about halfway down the uv is where it stops entering earth. For fun though if you have access to a black-light (they give off UV, usually UV-B) shine it on your watch sometime it really lights them up fast.

Source: I am a scientist doing research on the biological effects of UV

chisin

Renowned Member
18/8/10
And this is why I love this forum.....it's more than just about reps...

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
Would an SUV have any advantage over standard UV - what with the more powerful engine and all?
;-)

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Now here's a thought from somebody who has way too much time on his hands (as someone has already correctly surmised): Microwave overs release photons which heats up the water content in food which, of course, is responsible for the heating of said food.

Eh?? Where on earth did you hear/read this?

The clue is kind of in the name, it uses Microwave Radiation...