• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

'Reliable' Rolex rep

Iconic

Horology Curious
8/2/11
Hey guys, I'm new to the scene and these forums. I'm interested in purchasing a Daytona. I've been doing a lot of reading up but I'm still confused. From what I understand daytona's with A-7750 and running second at 6 are refered to as 'ticking' timebombs. ((Like this one.)

Over here is about the same watch as far as I can tell, however people are saying it's reliable. Why is that? What's the difference between these 2 watches, as they both seem to use A-7750? How can I distinguish the reliable vs the non reliable? Hope I made myself clear. Thank you :)

slimslim

I'm Pretty Popular
18/9/10
the second link is for a21j daytona, it's not a chrono or a 7750. that is why it is more reliable.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
A 21J movement is much more reliable and less expensive, but the chronos are fake. They probably just advance 1 click when you depress one of the pushers.

Iconic

Horology Curious
8/2/11
Very clear, thanks :). I can't find a topic where the different kind of movements is explained for newbies like myself, so I'll ask it here. How does Japanese quartz movement hold up compared to 7750 and 21J? As seen here. Or is it as simple as staying away from the models that have working chronograph?

I'm also confused by say, this one, it's 21J but it says in the title it has chronograph.

murklemark

I'm Pretty Popular
28/7/10
Movements section has all the movement info you'll need.

Ok as far i know, quartz with the chrono movement is fine but will give you a 'ticking' seconds hand instead of the smooth sweeping motion of an A7750. Quartz is very reliable and needs minimal servicing (only a battery change n a quick clean every 3-5 years). But if you want the movement to be smoother a more 'gen' like then steer clear of watches with chrono's and go for 21J (still not totally smooth seconds hand but much better than quartz) or high beat Asian ETA 2836 (very smooth seconds hands and 48hour power reserve), they are both very reliable and are in most watches.

Hope that helps

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
I have seen Daytonas with a Lemania (Seagull 19) movement in them that I think would be an excellent choice. The movement is very reliable, the second hand sweeps nicely, and you get working chronos. I have one of those movements in an Omega Speedmaster and I have been very happy with it. However, it is a manual-wind movement not an automatic.

I have seen them for sale on Timeshop and the cartel sites (not trusted dealers for RWI). I'm sure others have them as well. You may want to have a look at them before you decide. Good luck!

slimslim

I'm Pretty Popular
18/9/10
if i ever buy a daytona it will be the handwind vintage. i don't mind the frozen subdial. and those vintage models have a really cool look.

Iconic

Horology Curious
8/2/11
So after looking at quite a lot of different Daytona's I'm close to settling on these 2:
http://www.timeshops.net/product.php?id_product=5929
http://www.watcheden.com/rolex-daytona-working-chronograph-full-gold-with-black-dial-number-marking-sapphire-glass-i-29830%7B0%7D1-p-1.html

As I said I'm new to this, so I'm sceptical about what I can expect for these kind of prices. However they're in a pricerange where it won't be the end of the world should I be disappointed. As for the gold one. I don't plan on wearing it all day, every day but I'm not buying it to have it in a box somewhere. I read a little about replating, so that would be an option once the original plating wears off. What do you think? :thinking:

Edit: thinking about it now, I thini I'd rather skip the gold daytona, and maybe save up for a 2836 day-date. Would the stainless steel daytona be a decent buy for it's price? Would you ever consider buying anything like it or recommend it to someone?

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
Looks ok and certainly cheap enough. Be prepared to throw it away if you don't like it. You'll have a hard time reselling a quartz Daytona.

Iconic

Horology Curious
8/2/11
The watch as shown on the above link could no longer be delivered by watcheden. Since apparently they updated that one, and all they could provide was this model:
reference02.jpg

I've contacted someone else to see if the original model can be sourced. Should I end up getting it I will upload pictures.