• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Custom datejust

sawalke4

I'm Pretty Popular
16/1/08
I am looking for a datejust but none of our dealers seem to have the exact specs I want. These are the specs:

SS case with fluted bezel
Rhodium stick dial
Oyster Bracelet with polished center links + GMT IIc clasp
ETA movement
waterproof

I am getting a 21j daydate with the fluted bezel, can this accept parts to complete this project? Does anyone know who can perform a build like this? Thanks!

AHX

Renowned Member
3/12/10
Just as a heads up, if you intend on taking this swimming or whatever, I would not trust the factory water resistance. I've read of people here getting condensation under their crystals from time to time. Best to get it independently waterproofed or at least tested once you get it.

colt45gto

Renowned Member
22/12/10
this is a hard question to answer. by the time you bought the watch even 21j do a bit more searching i think you might find the watch you want,

ps if you want ETA why not buy an ETA equipped watch and ask the dealer to swap out a bracelet you want? it will be cheaper then all you have to do is find a dial. have that fitted the same time its being waterproofed ;)

sawalke4

I'm Pretty Popular
16/1/08
this is a hard question to answer. by the time you bought the watch even 21j do a bit more searching i think you might find the watch you want,

ps if you want ETA why not buy an ETA equipped watch and ask the dealer to swap out a bracelet you want? it will be cheaper then all you have to do is find a dial. have that fitted the same time its being waterproofed ;)

because the 21j case can take a gen dial and the ETA case cant. So ive heard.

Just as a heads up, if you intend on taking this swimming or whatever, I would not trust the factory water resistance. I've read of people here getting condensation under their crystals from time to time. Best to get it independently waterproofed or at least tested once you get it.

thanks, i know that reps arent waterproof, that why I swim with my gen SMP!!

If you see Kay

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/1/09
Don't forget that if you go for a gen dial you also will need a datewheel overlay and an aftermarket crystal as well. You'll have to snip off the dial feet and reattach it to the movement some other way.

colt45gto

Renowned Member
22/12/10
yes with either relocating the feet using epoxy or dial feet stickers

jumpope

Supporter
Certified
3/12/09
Nashville, USA
because the 21j case can take a gen dial and the ETA case cant. So ive heard.

thanks, i know that reps arent waterproof, that why I swim with my gen SMP!!

The factories use the same case. There is not a 21j case and an ETA case. There is, however, a 21j dial and an ETA dial as the dial feet are not in the same position. To retrofit an ETA movement under a 21J DG dial, you must clip the dial feet off and glue the dial to the movement. Everything then has to be lining up manually.

Also, the case can take a gen dial but the same is true...the dial feet being in a different position.

sawalke4

I'm Pretty Popular
16/1/08
Don't forget that if you go for a gen dial you also will need a datewheel overlay and an aftermarket crystal as well. You'll have to snip off the dial feet and reattach it to the movement some other way.

thanks for the info. What are all the steps needed to perform this? i have no clue about watchmaking and would need someone to perform this for me. Does anyone offer this type of custom service? Thanks!

Kerbus

Renowned Member
16/3/06
FL
The 21j model might be the best bet also if you want to build a rep of a slightly older Datejust (prior to the present Rolex engraving on the rehaut)-that has a blank,smooth rehaut and non concealed,buckle on the clasp. To the best of my knowledge, it looks like they stopped making ETA versions without the engraving but I have seen some 21j versions without it still around. (I'm not sure how successful attempting to sand off the engraving of a watch may turn out and look.)

Add a gen dial/crown/date disc, maybe a high end aftermarket bracelet and you ought to have a very sweet watch! Ebay is a good bet to get them. I'm sure one of the modders/watchsmiths on the boards might be open to taking on the project.

jmb

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/09
PM me if you have trouble finding somebody to do this project for you...

If you see Kay

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/1/09
thanks for the info. What are all the steps needed to perform this? i have no clue about watchmaking and would need someone to perform this for me. Does anyone offer this type of custom service? Thanks!

Well I am still in the process of doing mine. I got mine semi done already. I just had to get some extra parts. I think JMB will be the best person to help you. Most of it is actually quite straight forward and a step by step procedure. Alot of it is improvisation. Finding the right parts is hard. I got the wrong hands at first and hand to exchange it for the correct version. For my Rolex 1016 I got three crystals, all of which don't fit the way how the factory version crystal. I also ended up getting 4 sets of mercedes hands, all of which didnt' fit till the last set, which I had to mod to make fit myself. As you can see, it's a trial and error stage for me still.