• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

First post! First rep! First franken project! - ST19 Speedmaster

dan_j

5/11/10
Hi guys!

I joined the forum a couple of months ago but this would be my first post! I've been collecting watches for just over a year now but only got into the world of reps recently and it has been fun. I'm a student and can't afford most gen watches that I want so reps have provided me the joy instead. Hopefully in a few years I'll be able to afford some reps!

Anyways, I acquired my first rep Omega Speedmaster with ST19 movement in November from a member here (it was a very smooth transaction thanks to horologik). The watch came at a very low cost due to the fact that it was missing its stem and the crown. I figured I should be able to get it fixed by a watchsmith so I purchased it. However, when I brought it to a (rep-friendly) watchsmith here in Toronto, I was quoted over 100 dollars to get it fixed. So I decided to make this my 'franken' project. I started looking for genuine Omega crown and the stem that would fit the watch. After a couple of months of research I finally got the parts from the Netherlands for ~$25 CDN. And today I finally got them all together after some effort (The keyless mechanism was actually slightly out of place).

I think the watch is absolutely beautiful. Although the subdials are too far apart and the subdial @6 needs to be freezed (my next project) I think it is just as beautiful as the gen. Anyways enjoy the pictures! (Excuse the poor photography skills...)

IMG_0114.jpg

Love the hesalite
IMG_0116.jpg

Wrist shot - 6.5"
IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

My Current Collection
IMG_0121.jpg

Daniel

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Great first post and nice job on the stem repair.

A big welcome to you.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
My hat is off to you for your willingness to get resourceful and dive right in!
Nice job and nice salvage of a nice watch. Did I mention it was nice?
And I really like the Tissot above the G-Shock. That's a sharp looking watch.

I'm looking forward to many more posts from you in the future!

karesz501

I'm Pretty Popular
10/8/10
European Union
If people would start dealing with reps the way you did (and not the way I did for e.g.), nobody would use the phrase "noob".... :)))

Very nice and keep it up!

Btw.: what's your following project?

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Welcome mate, nice job!

Col.

shandroid

Put Some Respect On My Name
13/9/10
Very cool watch, and great first post! A colleague of mine has the gen, and it is a beautiful piece! Enjoy it brother :)

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
Let me be the first to call you a ding-dong!

Why? Why so mean TB!

Well, I'll tell you: here we have a nice story about someone who does all the right things and has a nice result because of it. Then he shares his story. The story talks about a gen crown and stem. He shares photos of the nice watch. Does he take and share a photo of the newly installed crown in a way that highlights it? Noooooooooo... He does share a nice side shot of the case, where there IS NO CROWN, but sadly we must use our imaginations for the rest. :(

So, this is why you are a ding-dong. :p

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas

Why? Why so mean TB!

Well, I'll tell you: here we have a nice story about someone who does all the right things and has a nice result because of it. Then he shares his story. The story talks about a gen crown and stem. He shares photos of the nice watch. Does he take and share a photo of the newly installed crown in a way that highlights it? Noooooooooo... He does share a nice side shot of the case, where there IS NO CROWN, but sadly we must use our imaginations for the rest. :(

Hahaha! Good point, TB. And yet... my imagination is usually wayyyy better than reality. So I'm good!:google:

dan_j

5/11/10
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I'm definitely looking forward to getting more involved here.

Why? Why so mean TB!

Haha! you know what you're absolutely right. I'll take some more pictures tonight of the crown and post them :p

Daniel