• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

truth or myth?

mononcle

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/1/11
I heard, if you lean a mechanical watch against the crown it will accelerate the movement, the other way around it will slow it down.

True?

Epimetheus

I'm Pretty Popular
24/10/10
I heard, if you lean a mechanical watch against the crown it will accelerate the movement, the other way around it will slow it down.

True?

I think it depends on what movement it has, but there´s some truth to it, yes.

SMIDSY

Put Some Respect On My Name
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
movements vary depending on crown up or crown down... I think what you say is true for a 7750

mononcle

9/1/11
in what range could the variation be?
And am i right, that it wouldn't have an effect on how the watch is running while on the wrist, or would it be possible to adjust a watch like this?

SMIDSY

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
in what range could the variation be?
And am i right, that it wouldn't have an effect on how the watch is running while on the wrist, or would it be possible to adjust a watch like this?

quite large there's a thread somewhere on this....

crystal up gains a few secs, crystal down losses etc etc... it can be quite a large variation

this is why high end watchers are 'adjusted in X positions' where X is anywhere from 2-5.... the positions are these positions we are talking about....

you move your wrist so it doesnt matter but this is what a toubllion is for!

SMIDSY

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
found it!

Note: Depending on what position you store your automatic watch in, will play a role in determining how many seconds it gains or loses every night--this is why I keep them on a winder, so that they are constantly moving and not at rest (in the same position).

1) If you lay an automatic watch flat & level (with the crystal facing up), it will usually gain a couple of seconds per night.

2) If you lay the watch on its side (with the crown facing down) it will lose a second or two per night.

3) Contrarily, if it's stored on its side (crown facing up), it will generally lose more than 2 seconds--or more--per night.

mononcle

9/1/11
just another quick question: up to how many seconds/day gain or loss would be tolerable for an A7750?

SMIDSY

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
I would say anything under +20/day is acceptable... under +10 is exceptional.

Remember B&Rs gens only are regulated to +10/day

stiff muckler

Known Member
26/8/10
da urban myth

I heard, if you lean a mechanical watch against the crown it will accelerate the movement, the other way around it will slow it down. True?

stiff loves debunking da urban myth:

If da watch is compliant to even COSC's minimal standards but da hairspring is not "fully" adjusted for dat particular installation by da master "springer" the rate "may" be affected by da position. But da better watches are going to exhibit similar rates in all positions - dat's why they are da better watches (dat and da cosmetic appointments and da complications).

However, if you got a watch dat ain't so good - da comparative positional rates will vary more.

Meanwhile, back to da crown. If da escapement on one watch is offset 90 degrees from da next and one of dem exhibited a particular lack of adjustment in a specific plane, wouldn't it follow dat all things being equal dat da same type of error would be offset by dat same 90 degrees in da second watch?

Now dat dat's all as clear as mud, here's da "take way":

You can take da cheaper movements and adjust da hairspring and tweak da escapement and alleviate much of da positonal error. stiff has done this on even da 2813 and eliminated much of da positional variation.

Just like people - you can't generalize very much about broad groups of uhren.

Dis is da stiff muckler!
("No, I am not related to dat other guy!")

If you see Kay

26/1/09
yes, crown up/down face up/down thing is true. It is even part of the Rolex servicing papers you get every time you get your gen Rollie in for servicing.

I had my gen Omega timed on a vibrograph watch timer and each position the watch was in provided a different accuracy.

On my other gen Omega, I could place it down a certain way each day at the end of the day. After one month of continuous daily wearing, it was out by +2 seconds, all due to the way how I placed the watch overnight.

I thought this was common knowlege amongst watch affincionados. . .

stiff muckler

Known Member
26/8/10
precisely

yes, crown up/down face up/down thing is true. It is even part of the Rolex servicing papers you get every time you get your gen Rollie in for servicing.

I had my gen Omega timed on a vibrograph watch timer and each position the watch was in provided a different accuracy.

On my other gen Omega, I could place it down a certain way each day at the end of the day. After one month of continuous daily wearing, it was out by +2 seconds, all due to the way how I placed the watch overnight.

I thought this was common knowlege amongst watch affincionados. . .

da rolex, ya - not da PP or VC or better watches . . .

but stiff can make da rolex do it!

stiff muckler

SMIDSY

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
Oh my gosh... please can we use Queen's English? Us older folk cant understand you!

Member X

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/09
Oh my gosh... please can we use Queen's English? Us older folk cant understand you!
+100000000

It must take more effort to think how to write 'street' than it does to actually write properly...

Dis street chat iz doin me ed in bruv - speek lyk wot da queen duz, innit.

(Not to mention english is not the first language to what must be a large number of people on this board, so if you start writing in some incomprehensible drivel, no-one will understand what the **** you're going on about and soon stop reading your posts...)

Fortey

21/7/10
I need more chav talk in my life, please ship some of them over to NYC

chav.jpg

At least thats how it sounded to me, what do I know....