• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Can someone tell me about the dial of my gold day-date? Real, fake, or rare?

HublotSenna

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/11/10
I don't know much about Rolex's but I'm here to learn. Anyway I just got a new watch from my uncle. I think its real but anyway he claims the dial is rare... I looked at other day-date presidentials and the roman numerals are upside down? If anyone can help me learn about my watch that'd be great. Thanks!

19dd90121fbd2ea2ec908fe170326633_large.jpg

3f9632160c4aadddbb17c4962ae08ea7_large.jpg

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
One way to find out if it's real or not... Open the back and look at the movement...

Looks good to me!

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
I am no Rolex expert but I know enough to know that is not a rare dial combination. Just a champagne colored roman day-date.

They place the numerals like that so they are easy to read. Think about a regular clock, is the 6 upside down?

Dscn8376.jpg

Oh yah, and my money is on gen all the way. No amount of plating will still be there after that much abuse. You go yourself a real nice watch there my man. Now......try not to pawn it! ;)

HublotSenna

25/11/10
Thanks for the help everyone! But I see most of them like this...

why do they switch orientations like that?

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
It would appear they did make both. Sorry about that.

Looks like some that say T-SWISS-T are flipped.

DayDateBlackRomansGold.jpg

And newer SWISS MADE dials are not.

Day-Date%20dial%20white.JPG

d-rock

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
24/8/10
I also agree it's a gen based on the condition of the bracelet.... judging by the condition of it I would think the gold plating would shows signs of rubbing off...and yours doesn't. The date wheel looks to be better than most if it's a repl.

HublotSenna

25/11/10
Thanks frigpig that does make sense. I guess this dial is older than the newer based ones with the upside down numerals. And I think it was purchased new in the early late 70's or early 80's. Anyway, thanks everyone for the feedback.

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
Solid gold Rolex. Sigh.........I'll go stare at some Chinese stainless plated replicas and convince myself there just as good now. :(

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
Since I doubt I could convince you that it's fake, and that you'd consider my offer of $150 for it, there's no doubt in my mind that it's a gen. If you do discover it's not a gen, my offer stands- I'd love to have it. :)

shandroid

Put Some Respect On My Name
13/9/10
good one HS...

I'd be getting that one cleaned up and saved for special occasions! :)

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
Looks much like the Presidents made in the 1960's (Golden sticks were very popular for hour markers during that time period) .... also, when gold shows wear, the little scars look different that plated watches .... Judging that by your pics, I'd say it's a GEN!

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
I don't understand how anyone could look at that dial and call it a fake.

But if you think it is, I'd like to bid $151 on it.

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09

I enjoy your posts and think highly of you, but how do you really feel about people who quibble over mere dollars? I know how I feel, surely you must feel the same...

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
Oh, how gauche. Anyone who quibbles over mere dollars surely isn't Presidential enough to wear a golden Day-Date.

opus5

27/12/10
A great condition, your bracelet is ... a great uncle, u have ... looks like a classic..

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
Oh, how gauche. Anyone who quibbles over mere dollars surely isn't Presidential enough to wear a golden Day-Date.

Yes, that's how I felt too. I'm glad to see we're on the same page. :) There's hope for you yet.