• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why are straps so outrageously expensive?

MrYesterday

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/10
Itinerant
+1 orloff there's a difference between what a lot of sellers call croc, and what is GENUINELY croc. Most are just cheap reconstituted leather (glued together bits from scrap leather, kind of like plywood) with a faux overlay.

DikkePoppe

Known Member
17/12/10
Thats not a hand made strap...
The stitching is too small to be hand made, plus is a really thin strap to fit that buckle..
Is that real croc or just leather.?..
Croc is really hard to find, and one skin may work 110usd or more, and you only get one or maybe two straps..
So price always depends on what you want.... but all my prices are around the same if we are talking about caw leather
Oh, my mistake, I found it here:
http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/leather-colors-55296
So I assumed you made it but in fact someone else posted it.

jesseharmon81

I'm Pretty Popular
17/6/10
You don't have to pay $150 to get a good strap. I'm having Crocodile from the boards make me a custom cobra leather strap for $80(Check out his section, Primestraps). Yes, that is still quite a bit of money to pay for a strap, but there is a LOT that goes in to that process, and I know I'm paying a fellow board member for a high-quality, hand-made product that will last many years. Think of it more as a long-term investment. A high-quality leather piece of any kind can last a very long time.

+1 croc makes great straps, have a black leather w/ red stitching for my Avenger Blacksteel! JH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
I agree a good handmade can be had for $40-80, if one does enough digging. There's Croc here, and a few sellers I like over on WuS as well.

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
hello
I do not think that $ 50 you can get a genuine crocodile strap, and I'll explain why
a crocodile skin of good quality, at a cost that can range from 6 to 9 € x cm. width, the price varies by type of tanning
usually for the wide leather straps are used from 24 to 28 cm, the cost is easy to calculate and can range from 200 to more than 300 €
with a skin of this size, if you're a good cutter, and do not make a mistake you can get 6 / 8 straps.
add sewing everything by hand, finish the edges, making passers-by about three hours
try to make some accounts (if you do not have underpaid Chinese workers) with the risk of making mistakes and ruining a strap
Mario

http://www.panatime.com/24dkbrgecrsk

BTW you're thinking of normal prices in Europe, think wholesale prices also, a strap maker will usually buy a vast amount of skins instead of individual ones.

The Dude

Renowned Member
18/2/09
Why is it we can buy leather belts, shoes, even jackets for less than the price of a watch strap? There's certainly a lot more material in those products. I understand that handmade straps are a different story because they're, well, handmade :). But the prices of mass produced straps are not justified.

I recently contacted a trusted dealer about a rubber replacement strap for an IWC Aquatimer originally purchased from him. The price you ask? $45 plus shipping! It probably costs 45 cents to manufacture these in China. The reason I need a replacement is because this strap was junk in the first place, and now I have to pay $45 for another of the same? Outrageous I say! I bought my wife a whole latex French Maid outfit for less than that...

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
Very funny, I'm merely making a point. And looking for alternative quality straps at reasonable prices. Apparently they don't exist, and you can afford the $150 ones...

congrats

Sorry mate, but you can find more than decent straps for $40-60. The $150 straps you're talking about are luxury straps, made out of fine leathers, by hands, ...

No suprise they are pricey.

The Dude

Renowned Member
18/2/09
:ttiwwop:

maidl.jpg

MrYesterday

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/10
Itinerant
I get all of my beater straps from panatime. But I'm having Croc make me a custom cobra strap, and his prices are great. 8a is also starting a sale for RWI members, selling $85 straps for like $35... you can't beat that.

DikkePoppe

Known Member
17/12/10
I get all of my beater straps from panatime. But I'm having Croc make me a custom cobra strap, and his prices are great. 8a is also starting a sale for RWI members, selling $85 straps for like $35... you can't beat that.
Where can we find that sale?

MrYesterday

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/10
Itinerant
David showed us some pics of the straps this morning. He said he would be updating his site with them in the next couple of days. Here's his site. But, since it's a special for RWI members the sale will probably end up here.

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
I was planning on a Kain Sub strap for the 111, but I'm gonna hold out for that sale!