• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

AP Mod

abekat

Horology Curious
6/1/11
Hey all

This is my first post about modding. And im very new to this. So go easy on me..

I want to replicate a good AP Watch. So i've search a lot around and came up with this.

Buy this watch
http://www.puretimewatch.com/product/royal-oak-offshore-ultimate-rubberclad-black-updated/

then get a eta 7750 and mount it. (Does it need mod for running 12 secs)
and get a gen dial
Like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AP-AUDEMARS-PIG...708?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f065a3ca4

and then get hold of gen bands etc. all the small things.

Am i totally wrong or is it possible?

Christian

trksh-bzr

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/9/09
hey christian din abekat :)

in order to install a gen eta 7750, you need to mod it by using the module, that already is in the watch, when delivered with A7750. (or have it done, I would)
this however doesn't fit the gen dial, though I heard talk of that being possible to mod also. -I think I would get a good rwi modder to just boost the lume if needed instead.
gen band- ofcourse, if you find one, why not :)

btw, welcome to rwi, are you danish, by any chance?

Edgematic

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/08
Christian,

It seems you want to have a franken AP ROO.

Well, the modding you suggest is not as easy as it would seem but it is possible.

Although what you suggest (using a gen 7750) would not be possible. The main problem here is that the date window of a 7750 movement is more to the right comparing with the movement AP uses. Best thing is to use the modded asian7750 and get it serviced instead of a gen 7750.

If you really want to use a gen dial then you would have to use an LWO movement, basically an eta 2892-A2 movement with Dubois Depraz module. This to solve the datewindow positioning problem.

You'll also have to lower the crown of the watch and file down the caseback to make it more gen like.

All in all, those mods are difficult, take a lot of time and are definately an investment. But imo they are worth it if you really want to have a franken one.

I hope I cleared it out a bit for you

abekat

Horology Curious
6/1/11
Thanks for the answers. It sounds very complicated.

What is franken? hehe sorry for the noob question. And actually i was planning doing it myself. Just ordered tools for a fortune and some cheap rolex watches i was going to pratice on. Thats why i like replica's. I got a Submariner and seamaster gen. But i think they are a bit to expensive just to open and play with.

And yes I'm danish :)

trksh-bzr

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/9/09
franken is a watch put together of rep and gen parts, some use the term about a watch put together from parts of different models....around here it means mix of rep and gen.
good to see a fellow dane :) remember to join the countryclub in my sig :)

abekat

Horology Curious
6/1/11
Ahh ok. But whay your guys are telling me is that i shouldn't attemp to do this? Like i said never took a watch apart before. :) But hey it's a first time for everyone. :) But i would be sad to order all the stuff now. And be able to do it by myself after a year. And then new models has bin launched etc.

trksh-bzr

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/9/09
you could get all the stuff and send it to dmuit (aka domi), or fransisco but you have to get all the parts yourself then.
personally I think it would be great if you went and did it, but you need to be sure you are able to get the stuff, and that you have the patience

Edgematic

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/08
+ you have to be sure you won't screw anything up because those parts are rare to find and quite expensive.

abekat

Horology Curious
6/1/11
yea i understand. It seems like there is no good structure of spare parts in the replica world (Wich fit what). So i might buy wrong a couple of times. But i think thats the fun with replica's. Its like putting your own car together if you are into mechanics :)

I've bin looking all over ebay for spareparts. Only the big brands like (Rolex, Omega, AP etc) has a good selection of gen spareparts

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
I thought the 7753 was the movement that should go in this instead? I might be confusing it with something else- or just not know what I'm talking about. :(

APROO12-RC-BLK-BDW-01.JPG

champ_21

Horology Curious
20/6/10
Hi just wanted to say welcome to the board

Im also danish

altid lidt rart med andre danskere på diverse boards :lol:

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
All my APs have a gen Eta 7750 in it, that is not a problem. The transfer bridge from the rep watch will be used and modded with a jewel. Then send the dial to vac for reluming. Get AR from fine dd and a hornback strap from Aron or APbands. After that, you have a watch with some flaws but from 10000 people nobody will know.
And that watch will run and run and run

abekat

Horology Curious
6/1/11
Hey Guru.

Thx for reply. But where do i order the movement?

Hej Champ

Yes its nice not to be the only one from DK :)

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
try ebay for 7750 movement, wait 2 more weeks and all major 7750 dealers from switzerland will be back from vacation and sell them for around 250 EU.
ebay.de........
but if you need someone to put it in, you can contact Domi for the mod and he also has the movements for sale.

I thought the 7753 was the movement that should go in this instead? I might be confusing it with something else- or just not know what I'm talking about. :(

APROO12-RC-BLK-BDW-01.JPG

this statement will not bring you in the HoF, sorry buddy

Imaknockov

18/1/11
All my APs have a gen Eta 7750 in it, that is not a problem. The transfer bridge from the rep watch will be used and modded with a jewel. Then send the dial to vac for reluming. Get AR from fine dd and a hornback strap from Aron or APbands. After that, you have a watch with some flaws but from 10000 people nobody will know.
And that watch will run and run and run

Hi Guru. I guess there are no issues transferring the rep hands from the Asian 7750 to a gen 7750?

abekat

Horology Curious
6/1/11
Naa i wanna try it myself. So i gonna need a lot of 7750 :p Ill might destroy a couple ;)

trksh-bzr

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/9/09
you wont destroy the mvt, you'll probably eff up some subdial hands though :) nothing is as annoying as removing those little effers....