• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

More AD's need to offer FedEx to CONUS

shizm23

23/10/10
EDIT: if you don't feel like reading this whole thread, just know that I realized FedEx/UPS is NOT the way to go as it is MUCH more likely to be seized by customs if you do so.

I have two orders outstanding, one was shipped via EMS on Dec 17th.. this is the most recent line on the tracking:

Foreign International Dispatch December 17 2010, XX:XX am GUANGZHOU EMS, CHINA PEOPLES REP
Yeah, 3 weeks later not even in US customs yet.

Now I did another order a little while ago from another dealer (names intentionally withheld as I don't want to place blame on the dealers, it's not their fault the shipping is slow as hell).
Shipped Jan 7th via FedEx, expected Jan 10th... by 10:30AM!!! 3 days, including weekend, and I expect it in the AM.

EMS from the 1st dealer is usually $20-25, FedEx from the 2nd was $30... easily worth it in my opinion.

And yeah I know, Christmas affected the 1st delivery big time... so it's not exactly a controlled experiment.. but still, I think more Trusted Dealers's (edit, used to say AD's) should at least offer FedEx to CONUS. I know that on my more expensive orders I'll easily choose the upgrade.

If there's a good reason why they don't, lemme know. Always good to learn new things.

cdot

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/12/10
FEDEX is risky. I just ordered fedex UPO, and its now stuck at customs for a week. I think they've seized it. EMS everytime now, even though its slower.
Not worth the risk, more time at the end of the day.

shizm23

23/10/10
WHOOPS meant to say "TD" for trusted dealer... I suck with acronyms.

Didn't know FedEx was riskier.. hmm.. fingers crossed for Monday's shipment

edit: why did I say thumbs crossed before... seriously my brain is fried today

majwilliams

14/12/10
CONUS
Yeah I had a rep shipped fedex, and it was seized. But I guess if it makes it through than its worth it.

shizm23

23/10/10
damn you guys are scaring me.. mine made it to their Tennessee home base, and is now at my local shipping center.. so I think I'm good?

Guess with the relatively high seizure rate it's not worth it in the future though.. thanks for the heads up guys.

majwilliams

14/12/10
CONUS
Yeah mine made it to memphis tn, then its status changed to "int'l shipment release" and then never moved again. fedex cs refers you to customs in memphis. So if its at your local sorting center you should be fine.

manickell

Horology Curious
26/12/09
My experience with Fedex was very positive. Customs cleared same day, made it to US from Greece in just a few days over the Christmas holidays

OI812

17/3/06
If it's mailed from China it's probably a VERY different story than Greece.....most probably anywhere in Asia.

horologik

I'm Pretty Popular
8/6/09
Montreal, QC, Canada
FedEx and UPS are much riskier. Your risk of being seized increases tenfold. I am not saying that it will not get through. But, customs are omnipresent with those carriers.
EMS is longer but I never had an issue going through customs.
This is hobby where PATIENCE is the key.

luch

19/12/10
I ordered fedex from one of out TD and he shipped it on the 27th of december. It arrived to TN on the 29th and has not changed status!! I called FEDEX and they said it was in customs. U guys think im screwed?? If it is seized does that mean I am out of my cash?

MrYesterday

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/10
Itinerant
I'm pretty sure Fedex and UPS are a "not a good idea" shipping option. I've seen it said several times, by some of the wiser members here.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
Customs could take weeks, so no need to panic yet.
As for your money, every dealer has a different policy regarding seizures. Aak your dealer IF it gets seized.
Good luck!

panerai153

Supporter
Certified
22/3/06
On the Mighty Mississippi
Customs could take weeks, so no need to panic yet.
As for your money, every dealer has a different policy regarding seizures. Aak your dealer IF it gets seized. +
Good luck!

FedEX and UPS packages take hours not weeks to clear customs. Both have their own in house customs clearing. If it's stuck in Memphis, then it is seized! Memphis is FedEX world headquarters. their operation is gigantic, and their air cargo fleet operating out of the Memphis airport makes it the busiest freight handling airport in the world. Every international package goes through Memphis, incoming.

I would never, ever use FedEx for reps. They look at every package, and if it's coming from China, it really gets scrutinized. FedEx is working hand in glove with Rolex, LVMH, Swatch, and all the other luxury goods manufacturers to stamp out counterfeit goods. If you send a package EMS, it's being scrutinized by a federal civil service employee who is primarily looking for explosives, banned substances, etc. He is probably taking a 30 minute coffee break every 15 minutes (get my drift) The FedEX folks are private FedEx employees, and their job, promotions, etc,. are based on performance. I can assure you they are looking. If a watch, wrapped in bubble wrap, inside a soft envelope, from China comes through, you can bet when it hits the X-ray machine, it raises all sorts of alarms. On the other hand, if it's in a nice Rolex box with all sorts of papers, they might let it pass, but you will get a customs bill from FedEx for the value of a new genuine Rolex. Which will probably be more than the rep is worth.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
+1000 on the above with the exception of the fact if it's a Rolex gen it will be seized. It is illegal to import a rolex privately into the US, new or used.

Epimetheus

I'm Pretty Popular
24/10/10
What if I as a Swedish citizen enters the US as a tourist wearing my gen DateJust?
Is it illegal to bring it into the country, or will customs let it pass as long as it´s not obvious that I´m doing it because I´m trying to make money out of it?

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
You are permitted to hand carry one Rolex into the US so that would be oke.
Don't start me on the unjustness of this law, it's bullshit. Land of the free my ass!

shizm23

23/10/10
Thanks for the info guys.. my watches ended up coming in okay this morning.. the HBB's minute hand isn't seated properly so I have to fix that still =(, but that's another story

but all of your points are very well taken and going forward I use other forms of delivery other than FedEx/UPS.

Thanks!

luch

19/12/10
Damn! Im thinking im screwed then! my watch has been in memphis since the 29th!!! I says "package available for clearance". Im bummed!!!