• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New Member - Received First rep today!

dhickma

Horology Curious
17/12/10
Hello all, I've been a member for a little while now and have spent a lot of time on the board looking at beautiful reps and trying to learn as much as I can about the hobby. Today, I received my first rep, an SS Black Rolex Sub with the 2386 Asian eta clone movement. It looks great to me for an entry level first rep and I can tell it is going to be the first of many for me.
Very clearly, I have much more research and reading to do, because
I am still having some difficulty getting the minute and hour hand to run longer than a minute or so. The second hand sweeps beautifully, just as it should but I can't quite figure out the hand situation.
I have emailed my dealer (a trusted one from the board, not mentioning it right now because I don't want to imply that the watch is broken when I am sure it is just a newbie mistake on my part) so I am sure I will here soon on my oversight on how to get this to work properly.
Nonetheless, I wanted to introduce myself and say thank you to all of the contribution that makes this board such a wealth of information to newcomers and veterans, alike. Look forward to becoming more involved as my experience grows. Thanks everyone!

cptkirk

Renowned Member
30/12/08
Welcome.
The 2836 movement will automatically wind by a semi-circle weighted rotor which rotates as the watch moves while being worn. Set you time and give it several turns to get it started. As you wear it the watch will continue to wind itself (through movement of your wrist)

Good luck.

dhickma

Horology Curious
17/12/10
Thanks for the reply, cptkirk! I believe I have a fair understanding of the manual crown winding mechanism and the self winding feature as it is worn throughout the day, however I have had no luck after winding. I am hoping that I am not winding correctly and that is the reasoning behind my issue.
So far, I have done this: counterclockwise screw the crown so that it releases. Then I have wound clockwise about 50 times. When I wind, I can hear a slight clicking/rubbing sound within the watch. I have then pulled out the crown to set the date, and then once more to set the time. After this, I have pushed the crown all the way in and tightened it back so that the crown is sealed. I am wondering if it is possible that I am not winding it correctly. I have searched and not found much about many faulty noobmariners with this movement, although I suppose it is possible I have received an exception. I guess I will continue gingerly working with the crown to see if there is something I am doing incorrectly. As I wind the crown, is it supposed to give me more resistance as properly wind it? So far, I feel the same resistance winding it the first 10 times as i feel 35 times later.

trksh-bzr

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/9/09
welcome to you my friend.

you have the right approach for asking these questions without crapping the dealer, nice :)

it sounds wrong to me that the watch doesn't run after being hand wound.
that doesn't mean that the watch was dead from the time when the dealer shipped from his part.
the only reaason that the watch shouldn't run when wound, is when the crown is pulled out to the setting position, when the mvt stops running because of the hack mechanism.
however it doesn't seem to be the reason here.

wait and see what the dealer tells you, should be solved no problem

trk

dhickma

Horology Curious
17/12/10
Thanks for the advice trksh-bzr. I hope that I can get some advice from the dealer on what I might be doing wrong or what I should try to fix it. Every time I reset the watch, it will work for a couple minutes and then the minute hand just stops. The second hand has had no problems whatsoever. I don't know if it's possible to not wind it correctly or to tighten the crown down too much/too little. If I thought it was something that a watchsmith could easily/inexpensively fix then I would have no problem doing that, but I'm sure its probably going to be easier to just have the watch replaced. I understand that there are going to be watches that are defective from time to time, it's just hard not to have it working when I am so impressed with how it looks haha. This is the patience part, I suppose.
Either way, the dealer was very, very quick with questions during the selling process and fast with a QC pic. Due to this, I have great confidence that they will issue a replacement if this is not a quick fix. Thanks again.

Just found this link http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/...g-43262?t=43262&highlight=noobmariner+running
I think that this is the issue with my watch as well, it seems to be running fine when I do not tighten the crown down. I think it's a possibility that the stem on the crown may be a bit long and it is creating pressure internally. I wasn't aware that this was a reported issue with the noobmariners. I hope that this is the case, as I believe I can learn to shave down the stem and eliminate this issue. Wish me luck!

AHX

Renowned Member
3/12/10
I could be wrong here as I'm still a noob but if it were an issue of it not being wound enough wouldn't the seconds hand stop too? I suspect you're right about the crown, do what was said in the other thread and see what happens when the crown isn't screwed down properly. You shouldn't be able to tighten it too much when using a normal amount of force (ie not trying to really screw it in tight like an actual screw)

dhickma

Horology Curious
17/12/10
I have spoken with the dealer and he has offered to replace the watch or to offer a credit of up to $25 for another watch if I am able to have a watchsmith fix it locally. I was finally able to get the watch to run perfectly for about a day and a half before it stopped. Now, it will run about 3 or 4 minutes before the minute hand stops. As I have said, the second hand has never stopped running. My question is, what is a ballpark figure for a local watchsmith to examine the movement. I believe that it is possible that the movement could just be junked up with some type of dirt or something. I have also noticed that the movement seems to stop much quicker or never start working at all when I screw the crown in, so I believe it is possible also for the crown stem to be interfering with the movement somehow...

colt45gto

Renowned Member
22/12/10
there was a member here that has fixed a watch for another member, the watch had black goo in the movement and a screw missing. its possible it needs servicing or cleaning inside? i am far from an expert but it could be something that simple.

ask a watch smith locally if they service watches not AD and tell them its a rep. they might be able to help.