• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

moisturize the cigars?

BarkeepCat

Looking Around
1/9/10
Wow, I sneak around and get all the valuable info from you folks (much appreciated) and my first post is about cigars.

You can use a new Tupperware container and a moist sponge as a quick fix. Then get a small humidor and it will come with a disk with foam and add DISTILLED water. If you can get a hygrometer and keep the humidity between 65 and 70.

You should season a humidor for a few days first to get cedar to hold humidity. Or you can do it in a day by taking a fresh sponge and LIGHTLY moistening the inside of the humidor every few hours. If you get too much water onto the wood, you could split it. And remember, DISTILLED water for humidors.

If you have a dry cigar, a few days in the Tupperware or humi will get it back in shape.

Hope I helped.

LOTS more to tell...
If you have any further questions, feel free to send me a message.

Cat

wiscrna

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/10
You can use a new Tupperware container and a moist sponge as a quick fix. Then get a small humidor and it will come with a disk with foam and add DISTILLED water. If you can get a hygrometer and keep the humidity between 65 and 70.

+1. Excellent advice.

You should season a humidor for a few days first to get cedar to hold humidity. Or you can do it in a day by taking a fresh sponge and LIGHTLY moistening the inside of the humidor every few hours. If you get too much water onto the wood, you could split it. And remember, DISTILLED water for humidors.

Mmmm....I hate to threadcrap on your first post, but everything I've learned says that you should never do this. The reason is that you cannot precisely enough control the amount of water that is absorbed by the wood.

The joints on the interior cedar box of your humidor are possibly glued, and you are taking a chance of them becoming loose if they get too wet. Also, if the wood warps at all from being too wet, the lid won't seal and you'll never be able to hold moisture in the humidor.

If you don't get enough water on the cedar lining of your humidor, the wood will be too dry, and actually pull moisture from your cigars instead of giving moisture to them.

I recently charged a new humidor, using a Boveda packet specifically designed for seasoning a humidor (84% RH). It took 14 days, but in the end, using the boveda packet was simplest - just put it in the humidor and put your sticks in 2 weeks later. Now I use a maintenance packet from Boveda. Couldn't be easier to maintain.

I'm certainly not a pro at this - dustin, Matyoka and R2D4 have much more experience at this than I do. Guys, can you lend a hand?

Just my $0.02...

Will

BarkeepCat

Looking Around
1/9/10
+1. Excellent advice.

Mmmm....I hate to threadcrap on your first post, but everything I've learned says that you should never do this. The reason is that you cannot precisely enough control the amount of water that is absorbed by the wood.

The joints on the interior cedar box of your humidor are possibly glued, and you are taking a chance of them becoming loose if they get too wet. Also, if the wood warps at all from being too wet, the lid won't seal and you'll never be able to hold moisture in the humidor.

If you don't get enough water on the cedar lining of your humidor, the wood will be too dry, and actually pull moisture from your cigars instead of giving moisture to them.

I recently charged a new humidor, using a Boveda packet specifically designed for seasoning a humidor (84% RH). It took 14 days, but in the end, using the boveda packet was simplest - just put it in the humidor and put your sticks in 2 weeks later. Now I use a maintenance packet from Boveda. Couldn't be easier to maintain.

I'm certainly not a pro at this - dustin, Matyoka and R2D4 have much more experience at this than I do. Guys, can you lend a hand?

Just my $0.02...

Will

Good points....
I have used Boveda packs before and they work, just too slow. Usually seasoning new humi because I have run out of room and have more gars incoming! LOL.

I have personally seasoned many (20+) humis with a sponge and distilled water and have been good to go. As stated lightly moisten, you are correct, too much water can warp. But if you lightly do it every few hours you should be fine.

As for maintaining, I like to use 65% beads. Last longer, better control and much cheaper.

Nice to see some cigar fans!
Right now my favs...
PAMs, LP T52 Robusto, Flying Pigs and ACIDS!!!

J/K on the ACIDS! :biglaugh:

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
In my personal experiance it takes about 4 months at 69% to get a dry one back to life. Rush it and they will split. i know the op prob doesn't have a humidor, but when you get one, put them in the back and forget about them for a while.

BTW most good tabacco shop will rent space in thier humidor if you buy product from them.