• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

SD Gen and Rep

maxlawbr

Put Some Respect On My Name
27/9/06
Hello,

This morning, holiday here, I took some (a lot of) pics of my gen and rep SD.

As always, my disclaimer is that I don't have the skills to take pics and neither patience to fix my bad photos in the computer (I use Mac and don't know how to use preview very well) but, here are a lot of pics to compare.

The plane on the back was my son's idea, I think it should fit better a GMT shot, but is ok, he is my assistant in all my photo shots.

My Gen is a Y serial, 2002, the last model with lugholes and the Rep is from Hont, Z serial, 2006 with new bezel insert and the CG's trimmed by spirit.

The gen has lugholes and the stick on the back, the rep don't and have a little flaw in the insert at 12 o'clock (black marks in the silver triangle).

I'll put the gen, before the rep, but you'll notice the differences.

Gen
CIMG1703.jpg

CIMG1698.jpg

Rep
CIMG1733.jpg

CIMG1723.jpg

Gen Back
CIMG1716.jpg

Rep Back
CIMG1744.jpg

CIMG1743.jpg

Gen
CIMG1711.jpg

Rep
CIMG1735.jpg

HeV
CIMG1709.jpg

CIMG1754.jpg

Crown side

CIMG1710.jpg

CIMG1748.jpg

Gen dive extension

CIMG1759.jpg

And the black screw. God damn it, why those guys don't replicate this simple screw?????????

CIMG1755.jpg

Rep dive extension

CIMG1760.jpg

And some side by side pics.

CIMG1770.jpg

CIMG1776.jpg

CIMG1787.jpg

And some CG's compared shots, rep in front.

CIMG1779.jpg

CIMG1780.jpg

CIMG1782.jpg

Hope you like it, and thanks for visiting.

Max

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
Thanks for posting those pics. It just goes to show you how much we nitpick our reps and how good they actually are.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Nice pictures. The rep CG's just need to be squared off a tiny bit on the bottom front side. But that's real nit picking.

I love my SD. I looked at it side by side with a gen in a jewelry store window for 10 minutes one day while waiting for my wife and couldn't find any difference. I was pleasantly amazed.

wiscrna

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/10
I don't think you give yourself enough credit. Pictures look great! Nice gen, nice rep.

Will

rsh

3/4/10
that is a scary comparison....super rep all the way

maxlawbr

27/9/06
Hey frigpig, and rsh, yes, the SD rep is very good, almost unmoded and very good one.

My all time favorite, I love it.

Thanks wiscrna and KBH, your kind words are very good to me, and I'll take it as an incentive.

Thanks a lot for looking.

pippo

10/1/10
Thank you max,
excellent post to say the least :)

maxlawbr

27/9/06
I think TS source the exactly watch I have from Hont.

Very nice construction, and very nice watch. Check yours when you receive it and if you don't like the insert, buy one from watchmaterial, and be happy.

Sand the bracelet edges and it can be better than the original.

Post pics,

Max

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Great thread and very nice pics.
Thanks for all the time you put into this.
This is a great resource for SD lovers. :)

maxlawbr

27/9/06
Thanks Q5, kind words, I'll keep making those pictorials.

Thanks again.

Max

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
This was a great and very useful thread. I wish we had more gen vs. rep comparos to go by.
This one makes me want to order a SD from Hont. The only big tell is the CGs, and with a bit of shaving it would be nearly perfect. Other than a close-up side-by-side like this, anyone would be hard-pressed to tell it from a gen.
Thanks for sharing, Max.

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
I think this thread has just inspired me to get a SD instead of a Sub! :thumbsup: Many thanks for the pics!

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
Good comparison, thanks. I like the fact that the gen crystal sits as high as the rep crystal. I'd always been lead to believe that the rep crystal was too tall. The watchmaterial pearl looks good also, making the rep SD an excellent rep.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Good comparison, thanks. I like the fact that the gen crystal sits as high as the rep crystal. I'd always been lead to believe that the rep crystal was too tall. The watchmaterial pearl looks good also, making the rep SD an excellent rep.

Before I had Jackjo mod my SD, the crystal sat too low.
In most of the SD's I've seen the crystal is too short.
Which rep model SD do you think comes wit a crystal that sits too high?
Any pics?

Thanks.

Spirit

Rolex Connoisseur
25/8/06
Before I had Jackjo mod my SD, the crystal sat too low.
In most of the SD's I've seen the crystal is too short.
Which rep model SD do you think comes wit a crystal that sits too high?
Any pics?

Thanks.

I think the problem is more the insert than the crystal...
...On Noobfactory ones, you see the insert is very angled, thus making the crystal look low/short on the watch...when actually it´s just hidden by the "conical" shape of the insert, which should be a little bit more flat than it is.

There is where watchmaterial inserts come in handy, they´re gen-alike shaped, and make the crystal look alot higher on the watch, which is as it should, not only on the SD, but on all the Rolex in general.
Only thing is that the SD has a 4mm high crystal, while the Submariners have a 2mm high crystal installed on them.

Cheers,
Spirit.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Too bad to hear that they have been discontinued. I can't imagine why they would do that.

trksh-bzr

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/9/09
great great stuff MAX!! looks awesome
spirit great info
kbh, true, why on earth stop running this model? that's what I've aske muself bout the po 4.gen and the v1 sosf too? why stop these fantastic reps?