• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

how do crystals "explode" .?

chromed.

I'm Pretty Popular
26/5/10
been reading quite abit about crystals exploding recently.. pams, rolexes, omegas etc etc.. what or how does a crystal explode.?

cheers.

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
Synthetic sapphire is a very hard material, meaning it is more scratch resistant than other materials, but it also break more easily.

The sapphires in our reps are usually quite thin, of poor quality (meaning that there can be impurities in it, and every impurity is a potential weak point), and not always correctly sized (if a crystal is a little too big, it will fit the watch, but there will be too much pressure applied to the sides).

All these together are why some of our crystals break while they haven't been hit too hard.

COLDI

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
23/9/08
Even pressure changes can cause them to explode. I've read where someone will get on a plane only to realize their 127/217's crystal has exploded.

SMIDSY

Put Some Respect On My Name
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
theres a loud bang then when you look the crystal's in lots of bits :whistle:

dustin

Renowned Member
7/6/10
They will also explode if you hit them with a hammer... :nuke:

MMs

I'm Pretty Popular
6/8/10
pressure differences inside and outside of the watch.

pressure put on the outer ring of the crystal from being pressed into the case.

humidity differences inside and outside of the watch.

impurities in the crystal.

all glass suffers microscopic fractures every time it is hit or banged. over time
these will build up and eventually may join to be noticeable to the eye as a crack.
but usually by then the crystal is already exploded. just because you can't see
any cracks or damages doesn't mean they're not there.

seems to be more common with the domed crystals where extra pressure from the
case is applied to the crystal.

chromed.

I'm Pretty Popular
26/5/10
oh my, i've actually dropped my pam a couple of times&knocked against metallic door handles, wooden furniture, etc etc(occupational harzards).. looks like i shld take better care of my reps :)

btw, off topic a lil, but still about crystals.. what does it mean if e crystals fogs up aft coming out of a a/c area(eg. car, bus, office, etc etc) &only recently..

SMIDSY

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
your watch isnt waterproof... if the fog's inside its condensation of the water =)

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
oh my, i've actually dropped my pam a couple of times&knocked against metallic door handles, wooden furniture, etc etc(occupational harzards).. looks like i shld take better care of my reps :)

btw, off topic a lil, but still about crystals.. what does it mean if e crystals fogs up aft coming out of a a/c area(eg. car, bus, office, etc etc) &only recently..

Yup, there is water inside your watch. You need to get it serviced asap if you don't want rust to do too much damage.
As for the fog, it appears when there is a change of temperature.

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
been reading quite abit about crystals exploding recently.. pams, rolexes, omegas etc etc.. what or how does a crystal explode.?

cheers.

I still think this is due to a good sealed watch and a drastic humidity differential between inside the case and out.

I have nothing to back this up but the inherent stress in the glass is amplified in this situation. It happens a lot with salt shakers but never with the pepper shaker right beside it.

Like I said I have nothing to back this up, it's just a thought.

chromed.

I'm Pretty Popular
26/5/10
Yup, there is water inside your watch. You need to get it serviced asap if you don't want rust to do too much damage.
As for the fog, it appears when there is a change of temperature.

it has never happen prior to sending to watch for modding.. it only happened when i got it back.. &it was both in&out of e crystal.. what could have caused it.? i live in SG, where humidity lvls here r crazy..

SMIDSY

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
hmmm I would suggest putting it in a bag of uncooked rice overnight - will take the moisture out... then get it sealed by a modder!

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
it has never happen prior to sending to watch for modding.. it only happened when i got it back.. &it was both in&out of e crystal.. what could have caused it.? i live in SG, where humidity lvls here r crazy..

Was the watch supposed to be waterproof after the modder worked on it?

offshore

Renowned Member
Gold Patron
17/3/06
If, when the watch was resealed, it was not done in a room which had dehumidified air, and there were medium to high levels of humidity on that day, the moisture was sealed in then.
I run a dehumidifier in my work room, as I am in a humid climate, however when I work in my shop at the markets, I have no way of controlling what I reseal.
This humid air is a nuisance in mechanical watches, and is diabolical in quartz!
Maybe 50% of quartz watches presented for a "new battery" are in fact seized in the drive train, and either line freeing, and/or a circuit and drive train clean are required.
Offshore

chromed.

I'm Pretty Popular
26/5/10
hmmm I would suggest putting it in a bag of uncooked rice overnight - will take the moisture out... then get it sealed by a modder!

how much rice wld tt be.? & what else can i do before i send it to get sealed.?

Was the watch supposed to be waterproof after the modder worked on it?

nope, just swapping of CG & dial..but as mentioned..this problem nv existed until it came back frm modding..tts y i didnt consider sealing it immediately..

Disclaimer: i am not blaming e modder for the current situation as it was unforeseeable at point of discussion&since e modder has chosen to remain unknown.. i think i shld stated this clearly before any unnecessary arguements arise..my intent is to see how i can deal with it..

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
But moisture is water.

Condensation can be summarized as a phase transition from a gas to a liquid as vapor condenses on a pre-existing surface, the exact opposite of the transition from liquid to vapor which occurs in evaporation. ...

Smidsey said: "your watch isnt waterproof... if the fog's inside its condensation of the water =) "

So, if it was water already, it couldn't condense. It could only evaporate.

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
nope, just swapping of CG & dial..but as mentioned..this problem nv existed until it came back frm modding..tts y i didnt consider sealing it immediately..

Disclaimer: i am not blaming e modder for the current situation as it was unforeseeable at point of discussion&since e modder has chosen to remain unknown.. i think i shld stated this clearly before any unnecessary arguements arise..my intent is to see how i can deal with it..

I say have the watch tested for waterproofness. If it passes, then the humidity was sealed in, and the modder needs to cover the cost of repair.

If, when the watch was resealed, it was not done in a room which had dehumidified air, and there were medium to high levels of humidity on that day, the moisture was sealed in then.
I run a dehumidifier in my work room, as I am in a humid climate, however when I work in my shop at the markets, I have no way of controlling what I reseal.
This humid air is a nuisance in mechanical watches, and is diabolical in quartz!
Maybe 50% of quartz watches presented for a "new battery" are in fact seized in the drive train, and either line freeing, and/or a circuit and drive train clean are required.
Offshore

+1

Humidity and dust: THE real enemies!

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
Condensation can be summarized as a phase transition from a gas to a liquid as vapor condenses on a pre-existing surface, the exact opposite of the transition from liquid to vapor which occurs in evaporation. ...

Smidsey said: "your watch isnt waterproof... if the fog's inside its condensation of the water =) "

So, if it was water already, it couldn't condense. It could only evaporate.
Got it, but if you want to be specific about the state, the correct fix should have been, "if the fog's inside it's condensation of water vapor." I've never encountered "moisture" being used to refer to gaseous water.

Apologies to everyone else reading this: :SLEEP::picard2: