• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How To - Disassembling a Replica B&R 03-51

kohanjj

21/6/10
Purchased a B&R 03-51 with a modified A21J that came with a known issue of random stopping, and figured I'd tinker with it and get it working, tinker with it and need a new movement, or get frustrated and part it out.

Yes, I was one of those kids that took their stuff apart pretty much immediately.

Very nice watch, wears like a tank though, almost too big for my 7.75" wrist. Wore it the evening I got it, and yes, it stopped randomly.

Anyhow, first issue was how to get the thing apart, and what would I find when I did so.

Here's a pictorial view of what I did...

Getting Started (front of watch) ...
startyl.jpg

Getting Started (back of watch with wrong info)...
wronglabel.jpg

Tried the screws on the face of the watch (they're just for show, and don't do a thing on this particular rep), so then tried the wad of packing tape to see if the crystal / surround would twist off. It twisted, but didn't move up or down.

This led me to just try to removing the face by popping it off with a caseback knife. SUCCESS!
removeface.jpg

Check for rubbing / catching hands (nope) ...
checkforrubbing.jpg

Put the crystal back on, flip it over ...

Remove the "DO NOT UNSCREW" screw...
crown1o.jpg

... and depressing the crown release button, remove the crown.
crown2.jpg

Gently lift the movement out of the watch and reinstall the crown...
movementpops.jpg

... leaving a gaping hole ...
emptyhole.jpg

... and immediately find a grey hair.
findhair.jpg

Reassemble, test to see if the random stops still happen (they do)

Disassemble again, remove movement, hands, and dial to access the movement front...
frontcover.jpg

Remove front cover to see if there's anything catching (there's not) ...
frontnocover.jpg

Flip over, find that the balance wheel isn't moving easily at all. Disassemble to find the trident shaped piece that 'links' to the balance wheel is cracked and barely hanging on (and then it immediately falls off) ...
trident2.jpg

C'est la vie, time for a new movement (hopefully)...

front of movement
mvmtfront.jpg

rear of movement (automatic weight removed)...
mvmtrear.jpg

case opening diameter (29.4mm)...
29mmwide.jpg

height of movement (29.4mm)...
294mmtall.jpg

width of movement (27.4mm)...
274mmwide.jpg

Obviously on the lookout for a new movement for this watch. Failing that, would be interested in a 'generic' 21J movement and a non-GMT B&R dial.

Anyone who can help source one, or lead me to a potential source would be greatly appreciated!

SMIDSY

Put Some Respect On My Name
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
1:1 construction then LOL