• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Update on off-center "Swiss Made" sub

jll3

You're Saying I Can Sell?
7/7/10
I just took new pictures of the sub I just received. All opinions are welcome. Refer to my earlier thread titled "Does 'Swiss Made' look right..". I was told I was buying a Noobmariner. I'm no expert, but everything looks okay to me except for the off-center crown above "Rolex" and the off center "Swiss Made". I was also told it was a high beat Asian movement, but it appears to just beat 5 times per second. That's low beat, right? Also, doesn't snap over immediately at midnight. Subtly turns over the period of an hour. Anyway, its from a very well respected/trusted dealer here who I am still trying to work things out with. What kind of sub rep does this look like? Serial number on the rehaut is F437091. What would you guys do? Thanks.

dsc00264y.jpg

dsc00267yx.jpg

dsc00271i.jpg

dsc00272gx.jpg

JC7

Put Some Respect On My Name
15/6/10
if you ordered ceramic then be pissed. i belive this is a noob mariner from back in the day prior to ceramic. doesn't look so bad, and the crown logo doesn't look off center in the new pics and the serial number spacing is great!

However, in the future you may want to do a liitle reading as most of the members who have been here a long time will tell you to avoid "swiss" and just get the asain clone. Again, IMO leave it alone unless you paid for ceramic otherwise it "looks" like you got what you paid for (aside from the date change).

jll3

7/7/10
Thanks for the input. Any more is welcomed. The crown is off-center and you can tell how the point of the triangle at 12:00 doesn't line up with the center of the crown. Also, I was told that the serial numbers ending in 7091 are GMT's. So, apparently this is a GMT with a sub dial? Is this common? And, I was trying to avoid the swiss movements, but was told I was getting a "high beat" Asian movement. 5 beats per second is not high beat, right?

JC7

15/6/10
i think it's 8 but i'd be amazed if you could tell it was a 5 with your naked eye. as far as the crown goes give us a straight on shot don't turn the watch to the side. yesterday you had the watch at an angle and it looked really off today it's not so bad. what did you pay for this watch? I don't know anything about serial numbers belonging to what model.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Definitely not a noob case and not the correct serial number for a noob. Also not a noob type pearl. Is that one of the cheapo specials from PWC? No, on second thought, he wouldn't have told you it was hi-beat.

Also the normal A21j movements are 6 beats/second.

Interesting thing is the RolexRolex on the rehaut is lined up properly which it's not on the noob.

It wouldn't be too terrible if the printing on the dial wasn't crooked.

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
I like to point out that this member did things the right way (someone in another thread could use a lesson) he didn't tear it open, size it, and then complain later about the dealer.
No the guy takes pics, asks questions, and keeps an open mind.

I hope all works out for you but at this point I'd probably send it back.:sub4me:

jll3

7/7/10
jclouston, what makes you think its 8 bps? I measured it based on sight and hearing. If you hold the movement up to your ear and count the beats with a stop watch, you count 5 (maybe 6) beats per second. Also, doesn't seem too difficult to count 5 or 6 beats per second with the naked eye. Am I mistaken?

If you see Kay

26/1/09
high beats and low beats are easy to tell by just listening to them. Even easier with 5 beat movement. I have 5beats, 6 beats and 8 beat movements in my watches.

Put the watch right up to your ear. The high beat 8's go ping,ping,ping really fast, whereas the low beat 6's go tick,tick,tick and the 5 beats, well, they just plod along really slow.

jll3

7/7/10
Furthermore, I have a gen Baume & Mercier Classima Executive which I imagine has a high beat Swiss movement. Holding them both up to my ear, the Baume ticks MUCH faster.

JC7

15/6/10
I thought i read that hi-beat was 8 per second which would be 28000 bph. pretty sure I'm right but there's always a chance I'm incorrect.

I do think it's tough to check manually but again I'm non-commital on this I just can do it myself.

What if it goes ping, tick, and plod??

then it would sound like your ex-gf. :sub4me:

jll3

7/7/10
Here's a shot of the out of alignment crown above "Rolex" from straight on.

dsc00281d.jpg

JC7

15/6/10
my opinion is that one is jacked up.. pearl is off centre too. can't really be too picky on that piece. See if the dealer can make it right? Give them a real chance to help you out before blasting them though you'll earn some good will with everyone that way.

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
the swiss made lettering is off center, the rolex coronet is ok but the 12:00 marker is crooked and that is why it looks off. the pearl is off center. i would ask for a replacement.

a 28,000 bph is 8 ticks per second. hope this helps,

jll3

7/7/10
Thanks. I would never mention the dealer's name until there's been a chance for resolution. I anticipate a good outcome, but will keep everyone posted. In terms of the pearl, its in pretty good alignment, I just didn't have the bezel lined up in those shots.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
I like to point out that this member did things the right way (someone in another thread could use a lesson) he didn't tear it open, size it, and then complain later about the dealer.
No the guy takes pics, asks questions, and keeps an open mind.

I hope all works out for you but at this point I'd probably send it back.:sub4me:

+1 on that SUB. Welcome home friend. :)

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
'taint no noob, that's fo sure.
My guess is fellas that our friend here can count to five, six and eight well enough to tell the beat rate, I can. If the date change takes an hour it definitely ain't a gen ETA or a clone for that matter.

Am I mistaken (hard to tell from the angle) or does the bezel insert fold under at the inner edge as well? Looks like the numerals are right on the edge.

I think you need to take this one up with the dealer, chances are they sent the wrong watch. Please PM me the name of the dealer involved.

Col.