• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PAM 127 Hand Fell Off

tony_the_danza

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/10/09
I have a PAM 127 and the minute hand fell off. I have the case opener and I'm pretty good with repair. Is putting the hand back on an easy task? If so, how do I do it?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

14060 or 16610?

Renowned Member
2/3/07
Yes, it's easy. All you do is put it back on. Literally.

The challenges are getting the movement out, which requires removing the stem and case clamps. Also you must press the hand on straight without scratching it or damaging the dial. Finally, you must re-case everything. Not too difficult depending on your level of patience and skill.

tony_the_danza

11/10/09
How do I remove the stem and case clamps? I think I'm supposed to turn a screw on the movement next to the stem 1 rotation and unscrew the stem by moving the opposite direction from winding it?

And then how do I remove the case clamps? where are they on the 127?

Thanks for your patience,

Ryan

katt

Trusted (Watch Repair)
Trusted Dealer
Vendor (Watch Repair)
14/9/09
You Have to loosen the detent screw to release the stem -- but not too far .

Simply loosen the case clamps screws and then carefully remove each one and clamps using your tweezers . The movement then is free to come out of the case .

tony_the_danza

11/10/09
I have removed the case clamp screws and the clamps, along with the stem. now. the movement will rotate in the case but will not come out. any ideas?

katt

Trusted (Watch Repair)
Trusted Dealer
Vendor (Watch Repair)
14/9/09
Short of trying to pry it up and out with a screw driver, which can be risky, you could set it down dial up. Then carefully tap it along the edge with your finger and see if she can be persuaded ? Try not to use force on anything . Good luck .

tony_the_danza

11/10/09
It doesn't quite feel "stuck," it just feels like there's a ridge in there or something retaining it. It's a PAM 127. Any chance I'm missing some other release mechanism? I turned the stem screw a turn or so -- but I don't touch that anymore, right?

And I don't have to have it in any certain position?

katt

Trusted (Watch Repair)
Trusted Dealer
Vendor (Watch Repair)
14/9/09
No don't touch that screw anymore . Mine does have a ring on the outside . If yours does that may be the key . Remove it .

tony_the_danza

11/10/09
If there IS a metal retainer, how would I remove it? There's definitely something keeping this thing in there. It rotates very freely, but just won't pass a certain point.

katt

Trusted (Watch Repair)
Trusted Dealer
Vendor (Watch Repair)
14/9/09
Excuse me , I went back into mine . There is a retainer ring on the outside of the movement that the clips go into . Try removing it .

katt

Trusted (Watch Repair)
Trusted Dealer
Vendor (Watch Repair)
14/9/09
Did you check ? There is indeed a retainer ring on mine. Try to remove it .

katt

Trusted (Watch Repair)
Trusted Dealer
Vendor (Watch Repair)
14/9/09
Gently and carefully try to pry it up with a screwdriver .

tony_the_danza

11/10/09
I got it out, but in the process somehow dropped and cannot locate a case screw :( One of them is in there, but for the other one, I just have the clamp (not the screw). Where would I go abut getting another one of those? Are they standard, or specific to Panerai/rep?

katt

Trusted (Watch Repair)
Trusted Dealer
Vendor (Watch Repair)
14/9/09
Try posting for these kind of parts on the boards. Also, you could try this place for Pam parts :http://jacksontse.com/

Congrads on finally getting it out , you're on your way .

tony_the_danza

11/10/09
Hm. It gets worse. So, now, the CG won't go back on. The CG screws only poke out a tiny bit, and they don't seem deep enough to catch the holes on the case. It's not an issue of pushing the screws down -- they are definitely sunk in the CG as far as they can go. I also tested the screws individually in the case, and they work fine. Just don't seem to sink deep enough.

I think it's an issue of the screws being too short. Is that possible? Any ideas for this one?

katt

Trusted (Watch Repair)
Trusted Dealer
Vendor (Watch Repair)
14/9/09
Are you sure you don't have the screws mixed up ?

tony_the_danza

11/10/09
Yep, positive. I kept them with the CG. They only come down about a millimeter or two. Definitely do not seem long enough. I'd expect them to sink in a centimeter or so.

katt

Trusted (Watch Repair)
Trusted Dealer
Vendor (Watch Repair)
14/9/09
The CG should be open not closed when putting the screws in .