• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review of the new Submariner GMF V2

Lawny

23/7/19
UK
One of the best reviews I’ve read, the pictures are amazing as well. Well done and thanks for taking the time and effort! The GMF does indeed look good but the dial spoils it for me unfortunately the indexes are too fat.

Reactions: Björn_Ironside

Björn_Ironside

I'm Pretty Popular
10/6/21
Italia
One of the best reviews I’ve read, the pictures are amazing as well. Well done and thanks for taking the time and effort! The GMF does indeed look good but the dial spoils it for me unfortunately the indexes are too fat.

something that in sight from wrist distance, with a non supersonic sight you don't notice
:)

Last edited:

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
Thank you so much the time and effort you put into this! Great photographic skills and expertise. This is what makes this forum awesome - I have learnt a great deal from this!

Björn_Ironside

I'm Pretty Popular
10/6/21
Italia
Great review there! Big up for taking the time out.
I’m planning to get the Gold wrapped version that Andrew has for 720 odd dollars, can I have the privilege of asking you about what all part should one franken / fine tune / modify to make it the most perfect submariner rep in the market at the moment ? (Didn’t say closest to gen but most perfect rep so the haters don’t attack)

nothing more or less you would change to a vsf or clean or whatever to make it franken. however, if I really have to choose something, what can be changed, I would say the dial, but mind you, the dial is already fine as it is

Mixad

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/1/20
friends, I say clearly, if vsf did not exist, receiving this GMF V2 would make anyone who is not obsessed with GCs and lugs happy as a child. really nice piece. great advice from trustytime
I’m sorry but I don’t understand, what does GCs mean? Also is this review for the 40.50mm or the new 41mm case?

Thanks!

wubsub

i like subs
Patron
Certified
31/10/18
sorry who are?
I’m sorry but I don’t understand, what does GCs mean? Also is this review for the 40.50mm or the new 41mm case?

Thanks!

this review is for the maxi case. CGs are referring to crown guards which are wrong in almost all reps except for VSF

wubsub

i like subs
Patron
Certified
31/10/18
sorry who are?
@Björn - thanks for this nice review. just goes to show how good dial indices and case are from VSF

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
GCs stands for Gusset Closures. It's where the rehaut attaches to the case, and if the gusset closures aren't tight, then it can result in a detached rehaut.

People often mix this up with CGs, which are Crown Guards.

And this review is of the 116619LB. If it was the new 41mm case, it would be a review of the 126619LB.

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
Top Poster Of Month
12/3/18
Super presentation bro, WTG! Pics are excellent.

I think this offering should please most Smurf aficionados. GMF has stepped up their game in some key areas. The crystal looks good and should satisfy some OOTB if you're not too picky. The switch to the next-gen VR3135 is a huge improvement over the dismal SA3135 ‐ it's about time.

I love the dial. It looks very much like the old BP and Noob dials, they were very close. The marker surrounds are a little thick but I don't think that should be very noticeable on the wrist. The color is beautiful IMO, of course everyone is entitled to their own preference. The gen dial has seen a lot of color nuance over the years and even recent samples vary a lot in different lighting, etc.

Here are some comparisons pics of your dial shots next to a blistered gen currently listed on M2M by jcher This is mostly for dial print and marker comparison as color can't be fully realized.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...6668-gen-rolex-submariner-smurf-dial-116619lb

jyu3bD.jpg

jyujos.jpg

jyuZD3.jpg

jyuzTY.jpg

Here are some random actual gen dials for some color perspectives.
jyuK5k.jpg

One area GMF can improve on is the rehaut and the rehaut ledge, I cringed when I saw this pic, it is so bad. A few minutes with some 600 and 800 grit sandpaper would make it look like the VSF. If anyone changes the crystal it's a no brainer to touch up the rehaut ledge. I usually do that anyway but this one really needs it.

jyu5MS.jpg

As others have mentioned the CGs are off but that shouldn't bother most, especially on an SS rep that's mimicking WG. It's not something to wear to the Oscar's, but just to please ourselves with. I'd say it checks that block pretty well.

Kudos on the review bro, thanks for stepping up in a big way. Enjoy your Smurfs!

Last edited:

Itto

Bizzarro Superman
Patron
Certified
26/9/17
The 9th gate
Thanks a lot, Björn, for this amazing review.
This actually confirms my assumption that the GMF should be quite good, since they are the upscale sister-factory of BP and I recently got an op36 from BP, which is also really good. Blew me away, tbh.

diamonds

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
17/3/21
hello friends,

as promised I post here my personal review of the new submariner recently released by GMF in its version 2 (GMF V2).

I will take this opportunity to compare this GMF V2, photographically, with the 116610 vsf and zf submarines.

Beautifully written and excellent photos. Bravo!