• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Cost to adjust +/- secs at a watchmaker

thicklove

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/8/09
Here is a drawing I made of my regulator screw. The middle slot where I stick the screwdriver in does not go all the way through the head. I don't know if the side labeled in red is the point, or if it's the side labeled in blue. I thought it was the blue, so I've been pointing it towards the negative side. I've also turned it counterclockwise about 3 full revolutions towards the negative side because it won't slow down.

I really wish you had waited before messing with this.

I do too now. Too late for that though. It seems no matter where I position the regulator screw, it doesn't seem to slow down the timing.

If you see Kay

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/1/09
Your tool set is missing the Roberston screwdriver. Arguably much better than Philips

CBR

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
2/7/07
This was a new watch? I dont think I have ever seen a new movement that was not centered. I have always expected that the factories did not bother to adjust them at all.
BUT, these are not meant to be adjusted in this manner more than a few of the notches. Any further adjustment needs to be done by other means which is basically not a do-it-yourself operation.
The good news is, you can get it fixed... But it is most likely going to need to be put on a vibrograph timing machine to accomplish this. The bad news is, your probably going to get charged for a full service.

thicklove

29/8/09
Okay, I figured it was at a point that it needed professional servicing. Yes, it was new. Only a week old. I don't know why it just kept getting worse, even before I touched the regulator screw. I think it was at 30+ seconds a day before I tried adjusting it. Will look around for a watch shop locally.

14060 or 16610?

Renowned Member
2/3/07
Did you check to see if the curb pins were actually moving when the screw was being turned? It's possible the screw was doing nothing.

thicklove

29/8/09
He doesn't need to be messing with this anymore.

LOL, I really laughed. You are so right. Though I am tempted to try more.

Did you check to see if the curb pins were actually moving when the screw was being turned? It's possible the screw was doing nothing.

If you're referring to the wishbone looking thing that surrounds the screw, then no, it was not moving. it is a little off centered with the screw, but not much since it physically doesn't have much room to go anywhere since the screw is there.

thicklove

29/8/09
Update: the Curb Pin does move!!! It goes back and forth if you keep turning it in a single direction. It was all the way at the positive side. My watch has been running about +75 seconds per 24 hour period if I calculate it at about +3.1 seconds per hour for the past 20 hours.
I've just re-adjusted it so that the curb pin is on the - side. This should do it! Will update.

14060 or 16610?

Renowned Member
2/3/07
Glad to hear it - let us know how it ends up going. By the way, running majorly fast like that could indicate a problem with the hairspring if your adjustment doesn't correct it.

thicklove

29/8/09
14060 or 16610, the watch used to run +3.5 seconds every hour consistently. After the adjustments made using your tip off, it now ran +/- 0 seconds in the past hour! As far as I'm concerned, problem resolved! I'm sure it will be a little fast slow after 24 hours, but will be pretty close to zero at this rate. Thanks so much again for your help!

thicklove

29/8/09
In the past 18 hours it has run +10 seconds. So, based on that, it is running about +13 seconds every 24 hours. Not too bad. It looks to be as far to the negative side as possible.

14060 or 16610?

Renowned Member
2/3/07
Glad to hear you worked it out. It could probably be improved further if you put it back in beat, but you're probably best stopping here for now. Good job!

rsh

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/4/10
One thing you can do at night when taking the watch off, rest it on its side with the crown up....

14060 or 16610?

Renowned Member
2/3/07
One thing you can do at night when taking the watch off, rest it on its side with the crown up....

Not necessarily. That really depends on the movement and the watch. There are indeed some general guidelines, but no hard and fast rules. It certainly varies, and the only way to be sure which positions help a particular movement gain or lose time is to use a timing machine and observe the differences. Then you can decide how to store it at night to offset the gain or loss observed during normal wear.

As an example, note these DateJust results:

CD -54 s/d

100409_rolex_cd2.jpg

CL +30 s/d

100409_rolex_cl2.jpg

DU +10 s/d

100409_rolex_du2.jpg

So in the case of this particular watch, you would actually need to set it crown down to average out the time gain during the day. And yes, I know the watch is out of beat. This was just a "before" timing; the watch will be adjusted later this week.

thicklove

29/8/09
Update: in 44.5 hours, my watch has gained 14 seconds. I've been wearing it for most of that time. It gained about 8 seconds overnight the first night on the night stand. Second night was left on the wrist. So, it seems my watch gains less time when worn.

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
That's how it usually works. As you hit all the different positions throughout the day your watch will speed up, slow down etc. and it all balances out.

thicklove

29/8/09
Great. It seemed to have settled down during wearing and is not really gaining much time at all. Maybe 2 seconds in a 24 hour period.

katt

Trusted (Watch Repair)
Trusted Dealer
Vendor (Watch Repair)
14/9/09
I always remember to demagnetize my watches before checking them on my timing machine and regulating them for rate .