• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Best replacement bracelet for Spinmaster Daytona

aceofdiamonds

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/9/09
Hi,

I have a beautiful Spinmaster built Daytona (circa 1981 vintage) which I love to bits. But I have one niggle which is the bracelet. Basically its pretty rubbish and I'd like to replace it with something much nicer and of the same period.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find either the very best replica bracelet or even a genuine rolex.
Proviso is that it suits the age of the watch.

I'm ready to spend upto £200 for the right piece!

Many thanks

aceofdiamonds

6/9/09
Thanks guys, Just placed an order for the bracelet in JellyJoes link. I can't wait!!!!!

advuk

18/12/09
without diverting this thread, it's the first time I've seen yuki's site and see he provides parts (including v72) for 6263 builds..

..does anyone know how much a build/ components would be from him compared to spin or DW and any difference in what he's supplying?

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
Wish I'd seen this thread earlier, aceofdiamonds...

If you ordered the Yuki riveted bracelet, then it's the wrong size. Yuki only sells the 7206, which is a 20mm bracelet and 1mm too wide for the Daytona's lugs. What you want is a riveted 7205 (or 6635), a folded-link 7835, or a solid-link 78350. Technically, a riveted bracelet on a 6265 is period incorrect, but it's not an inconceivable pairing. Endlinks are another issue, which we can deal with later!

Note, however, that all of these bracelets feel a bit cheap and light compared to modern designs.

One hopeful note: A few months ago, I heard from several sources that Yuki was working on a 7205 riveted bracelet. If I were you, I'd send an email to them to see if they're close to finishing it, and if it would be possible to change your order. If not, you can still use that 7206 on a vintage Sub or Explorer.

jmb

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/09
I may have a 19mm riveted band laying around somewhere. PM me if interested and I'll start the treasure hunt! Seems I remember a brushed Oyster and a Jubilee as well...

JellyJoe

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/9/09
Wish I'd seen this thread earlier, aceofdiamonds...

If you ordered the Yuki riveted bracelet, then it's the wrong size. Yuki only sells the 7206, which is a 20mm bracelet and 1mm too wide for the Daytona's lugs. What you want is a riveted 7205 (or 6635), a folded-link 7835, or a solid-link 78350. Technically, a riveted bracelet on a 6265 is period incorrect, but it's not an inconceivable pairing. Endlinks are another issue, which we can deal with later!

Note, however, that all of these bracelets feel a bit cheap and light compared to modern designs.

One hopeful note: A few months ago, I heard from several sources that Yuki was working on a 7205 riveted bracelet. If I were you, I'd send an email to them to see if they're close to finishing it, and if it would be possible to change your order. If not, you can still use that 7206 on a vintage Sub or Explorer.

I aint sure Spin's cosmographs are 19mm, I hope AoD checked that already before placing order, anyway.
Spring bracelets were available on all models, just an option, so on vintage models is not incorrect, just personal taste. I have seen them on Air Kings 19mm and even on Explorer II Smq 20mm, just like jubilees; officially on GMTs, but widely ordered on Subs and all models.

If you don't want that bracelet AoD or its size is wrong, I will be more than glad to buy it from you, full price. I was planning to use one on my Sub anyway, so glad to have it. Just let me know ;)

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
JellyJoe: Spinmaster uses the DW cases and these are definitely 19mm. As for the "period incorrect" comment, I wasn't referring to the springy links but the riveted links themselves. Unless I'm mistaken, I believe Rolex stopped offering the rivet option around in 1967 or 1969. (I know it's one of those years, and not 1968!) Then again, I often see these C&I "Rolex USA" riveted bracelets made as recently as the late 70s, so I could be wrong.

JellyJoe

28/9/09
Springed riveted bracelets (the ones Yuki sells) are available in several mid and late 70's catalogues without an official year of withdrawal. I have a few of them, some show riveted bands on "non officially riveted" models, some don't.
On some models the serials were even reset, creating a messy situation with old papers, and thats why imo Rolex is not officially servicing old models anymore. It's not that they can't, it is cos they aren't able to positively path every serials on vintage models and are scared of good frankens.
Provided his cosmograph is a 6265, officially on 6265 there are two options:
1) ref. 7835 with 271 or 371 endlink until 1974-1975
2) ref. 78350 with 571 endlink.
Well, I have a few mid and late 70's catalogues with 62xx with rivet bracelets, even gold ones ^^

Take my word, everything is possible. My gen 6241 should have a 7835 according to its age. It came instead with a 6635 (which btw the previous idiotic owner had broken into pieces, curse him), probably because that's what the buyer ordered or simply found in that shop. I have seen 78360 and even 7836 Jubs on daytonas and SDs, which is not officially possible and somewhat weird.
Some ExplorerIIs (1655 on USA market) came out with a 7206 (prolly custom orders, officially 20mm riveted 7206 only on GMTs 6542-1675 and Subs 1680). I have seen tons of 551x Subs and 1665 SDs too with Jubs on em. There is not a single model NEVER mounted on this or that model. The only serious limit is lugwidth, (which is the issue we are discussing here).
Rem that Rolexes were never seriously back ordered until late 90's, riveted and springed bracelets had half-heartedly success until they became vintage, so anything is possible on custom orders.
Look here, 1978 6241 with riveted springed bracelet (officially discontinued around 1970 as you said, but that's clearly a lie) ;)
http://www.mazzonishop.com/scheda_articolo.asp?IDARTICOLO=590

Anyway, if AceofDiamonds was misled by my link, I will happily buy his 20mm Yuki's bracelet full price + shipping, so he can fully refund his wrong purchase and search a proper 19mm one, I will have something I need and we'll all be happy :)

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
Jelly: Thanks for the very enlightening post. I see there are no hard and fast rules when it comes to Rolex, just hearsay and generalizations that are eventually proven wrong!

By the way, would you happen to know the differences between a 6635 and a springy 7205?

aceofdiamonds

6/9/09
Hi Guys,

I ordered the springy bracelet as per the one in Jellys link. I've had the email saying its been shipped so too late to change now.

I'll wait for it to arrive and check to see if it fits, but sounds like it won't.

Jelly, don't feel you have to buy the bracelet. It was my decision, my mistake. However if you really want it you're very welcome to have it.

JMB you have mail

JellyJoe

28/9/09
AceofDiamonds mate, no worries, I will be happy to cover your expenses and acquire something I actually need. It would be the wisest way to face the matter with no malcontent for anybody. You do me a favor to bump something I need from China and I relieve you from something you do not need. I will also cover your shipping, two gentlemen will never question over a few bucks.
Let me know when you are ready for transaction ;)

aceofdiamonds

6/9/09
Well the bracelet arrived from Yuki Watch and its a beauty, just a shame it wont fit my Daytona!
Anyway, JellyJoe you have mail so if you'd still like it, let me know.
Cheers,
AOD

aceofdiamonds

6/9/09

I emailed Yuki watch about this and got the following reply....

Hi,

We are development the 7205 bracelet. Hope can finished it soon. If we finish we will post in our web.

thank you

yukiwatch

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
That's good to hear, so long as "soon" doesn't mean "sometime this year... maybe"! If Yuki makes one that's the same quality as their 7206, and sell it with the correct, chronograph-specific end pieces, then they have at least one guaranteed order from me.

JellyJoe

28/9/09
Yes, Yuki's stuff is great and that springed 7206, atm on my 5514, is abs 1:1.
The only missing part is the tiny date fonts inside the clasp but thats easily fixed with a small punch mod and some aging.
Btw a 19mm 79350 oyster is now available on Yuki's site for an affordable price, interesting option for all vintage 19mm Rollies (fcourse not Brevet which means not a riveted nor springed one, rem its thinner than modern oysters).

http://www.yukiwatch.com/catalog/item/6784664/8017259.htm

For 7205 I am afraid we will have to wait :/

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
From previous research, here's a list of bracelets used on the vintage 19mm Daytonas:

End Links:

71H