• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Most robust movement around?

ochaves

30/9/09
I'm wondering, which is the more robust movement around in replica watches?

I'm looking for a watch that I can use at work (not hammering, but neither at a desk all day) everyday without worrying to ruin it . I know and understand that these are mechanical wonders and that they are basically fragile, but I assume that some models must be more resistant than others.

Also know that the more resistent movements are quartz, but it's stronger than me, I just don't like to use quartz watches.

First I'll decide the engine and then I'll pick a watch with that engine inside

Regards,

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
I do not understand your question. Robustness has nothing to do with the specific movement as it does how the movement was put together, Reps are not made to the same standards as gens. If you're wearing it like a normal person most will do ok.

deloreandmc

I'm Pretty Popular
23/10/09
fakemaster is right, as long as you arent a construction worker or something similar you should be fine, but even still I would sudgest just a $25 watch from walmart, they NEVER die, as long as you stay away from velcro straps...

ochaves

30/9/09
Fakemaster:

Often I ride bikes, which tends to vibrate a lot (at least the ones I ride). Part of my job is being in production plants during start up process and is very common to get my hands dirty, which usually implies operating heavy machinery and suffering some impacts due to the use of tools.

For instance, I'm sure that 7750 based watches are not what I'm looking for.

I understand that rep movements are not the same as gens, that's why I'm asking which is the more robust movement used in reps that can be easy to find among the watches supplied by the trusted dealers or the ones you build.

Hope I've been more clear.

BTW, I'm hoping to buy a SMP from you next month. I love your work.

Regards,

timemaster

Horology Curious
27/2/09
I think the Asian Eta 2824 is a very impressive movement. They can withstand quit some abuse. Ride your mountain bike, hammer nails in the walls or use an axe to cut a tree or whatever while wearing it. It keeps on running great. However for very heavy abuse i would not suggest an automatic but quartz.

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
There will always be testimonials like the one above but the fact is they are in the minority. Even gen manufacturers don't want you playing raquetball with a 10k watch on. Why anyone would be I have yet to figure out. Then again reps are easy to replace which is why they are so cool. But if you look at what people are wearing in manual labor situations it is usually a utility watch of some kind. A G Shock, some other digital or a Wal Mart Special. I understand you don't like them. But quartz is the best way to go for the type of activities you are talking about. The only other thing that might have a chance would be a handwind.

ochaves

30/9/09
Thanks for your advice. It's been very helpful.

What manual winding movement would you recommend?

Regards,

I am Sam

Renowned Member
9/10/09
I understand that rep movements are not the same as gens, that's why I'm asking which is the more robust movement used in reps that can be easy to find among the watches supplied by the trusted dealers or the ones you build.

21J

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
6497 would be my guess. Eta best but Asian is also good.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
IMHO the A21J is the most bullet proof of the common MVTs found in reps. I got a year out of one before it started to ply up and that included bike riding, chain sawing, using grinders, hammer drills, splitting fire wood etc. There are however different grades of these depending which factory they came out of. Get a propper DG one and it is allmost bullet proof. Mind you even a cheapie is tough. My current beater is one of T4D's 69 dollar Explorer I Rollies. This contains the cheapest looking 21j I have ever seen yet it is still going strong after 6mths of total abuse. Last week I was holding a piece of 4x2 hardwood in my left (watch) hand while beating the other side of a chunk of 4mm plate with a 4lb hammer. Still works, still keeps time.

If you want a beater, get one of Rob's (T4D) 50 dollar cheapies and just forget about it. If the MVT dies buy another for 10 bucks from one of our dealers and a few tools from Watchbitz and learn how to swap it yourself. Plenty of folk here to hold your hand thru what is not really a hard opperation.

Col.