• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

I want a daymariner

ispytonyv

Renowned Member
16/8/09
I know some Rolex aficionados are the purist type, going crazy w/mods to get closer to gen, but I wish there were more fantasy models like this... would creating some kind of franken watch be possible?

D-D1-1.jpg

trksh-bzr

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/9/09
why do everyone keep calling this seatona-daydweller all kinds of different things?

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
Because it is a photoshop of a lot of things. Think of it like inkblots. When people look at it some see a particular model first.

trksh-bzr

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/9/09
I know, i'm just thinking it's funny that it's a dssd bezel, not a sub...:)

donaldejose

I'm Pretty Popular
20/12/08
I think the white dial/black bezel "look" is striking; just not functional for a Daytona. I wonder how many people looking at across the lunch table it would even realize that it makes no functional sense.

jmb

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/09
Hmmm. I do have a case with rotating/click bezel from a cheapo a21j Daytona. Put it in the lathe, carve out a groove for the insert, a little glue, and...

jmb

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/09
The tachymeter bezel rotates and clickks! It was a " Canal Street quality" cheapo (about $20) but the bezel sort of amused me and it had a surprisingly nice band so I grabbed it, tore it apart, and kept the band and case. I'd have to take some measurements but I don't see why I couldn't turn or mill a slot in it to accept a Sub insert. A fitting tribute to Dr. F!

donaldejose

I'm Pretty Popular
20/12/08
jmb

Great! Do it, wear it and see if anyone says anything. It would be a good test of the "stupidity" of the general public when it comes to "calling out" reps. Will even one out of every 10 people who hold it in their hands even realize something is wrong? How may owners of Rolex gens will even realize something is wrong? If you do it, post your experiences. It would be interesting and I expect you would have some funny experiences.

amptor

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/5/07
hmm not as ugly as a daytona but still close..

jmb

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/09
I very well may add this concept to my ever-growing list of future projects.. :p

donaldejose

I'm Pretty Popular
20/12/08
Instead of carving out the bezel why not try just substituting a SS sub bezel? Even if some fitting is needed it would seem to be much less work since you already have the underlying mechanicals in place.