• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Breitling B01 - first impressions

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
Hi everyone,

Earlier today I received my B01 running an A7750 movement... I've been looking forward to this rep for a while, and it's exciting to finally have it in front of me. I promised that I was going to post some immediate reactions and pictures asap, so I'm taking advantage of my lunch break to do just that.

How does the rep compare overall? Pretty well, actually. The weight is nice, and the feel is also of a high quality watch. This is my rep, with black dial and SS bracelet:

B01a.jpg

One of the questions commonly asked is whether the "square" in the middle of the dial is visible like in the gen. Well, yes. I think they replicated that fairly well. The effect is created by some vertical lines that reflect light differently depending on the angle. Hard to capture in photos. Sometimes the square is there, sometimes it's not. I don't have a gen in front of me, but I have seen numerous gens at the AD's. I have to say, this aspect of the replcation is fairly nicely done.

The second thing people have commented on, is the huge pearl. How did the Chinese pull it off? Not too badly, actually.

B01e.jpg

B01f.jpg

Whether you like the giant pearl on not, is a matter of personal tastes. But what matters is that the replication is by no means offensive. I should also add that the lume on this rep is also of the higher quality seen on reps. Not nearly as good as the gen, but not too bad either. I would still advise purists to get it superlumed if they think the watch is a keeper.

The AR is similar to the quality we have seen on recent Breitling reps (e.g., the latest BCEs). So it's the best you're going to get on a rep. But again, the purists would have to get this double AR'd, because it's not quite as good as the effect of the gen, where the crystal is simply not there.

The hour markers have some issues. Mind you, nothing to pull your hair out about, but they are not quite prefect (e.g., the ones next to the subdials are wider). Also, I wonder if the pushers are a fraction longer than the gen (though I might be wrong about that). The crown is not as well defined as the gen, which has slightly deeper cuts.

The bezel rotates nicely and comes with 240 clicks, which I believe is like the gen.

B01b.jpg

Now, on to the main source of concern... The dreaded recessed datewheel. That's a massive problem, and like I said elsewhere, perhaps the only reason why this one runing an A7750 is never going to be a super rep. It's an immediate give away. Having said that, the font is quite accurate (and whether you like the font of the gen, that's a different story). My advice is to go for a colour combination where the background of the DW is similar to the dial. That way the recess is less visible. Indeed, when looked at from a straight angle, the problem is not so significant, but from the side... you can't get away with it. Also, the DW window and font are smaller than the gen.

B01g.jpg

Now, those weird bits of white on the inside of the DW are not visible without the gift of macro sight! But they're still a bit odd...

The caseback is spot on, with perhaps a slightly darker background on the centre logo than the gen. But nothing to whine about here.

B01c.jpg

The bracelet is the typical rep quality we seen on these. It's good, but doesn't have that silky buttery feel of the gen. Nothing some oil and capecod can't fix though. What I find odd is the way the bracelet meets the case. I just don't like it. But that's another weird Breitling design issue. By the way, the links are on a slant like on the gen. Though note that they are not as diagonal as on other Breitling models.

So, what are my final thoughts on this rep? Well, it's another amazing indication of what those crazy Chinese can pull off. When you think about it, it's incredible how much reps have developed in recent years. But as long as we don't have a clone movement that allows DWs to be higher in the 4.5 configuration, this is never going to be a perfect rep. The DW is a big issue (unless you find someone willing to do the raised DW mod for you). But other than that, the replication is nice. It doesn't "shine and sparkle" like the gen (I suspect because of the crystal and steel?). And there are a few small issues to do with the dial. But besides that, they've done a good job. And importantly, the price is also fair for a first generation. In the end, I think people are still going to be more critical of the design rather than the replication. If you don't like the oversized pearl, the bezel font, the DW font, the square effect, etc, then you're not going to buy this no matter what. It's definitely one of the boldest design statements I have seen from Breitling.

TheLoveOfBotham

28/9/09
Very nice review Roo. Comprehensive, and answers pretty much any question I could think to ask.

For me, I'm still not sold on the new design direction that Breitling have taken with this. It's too jarring a mix of classic Breit asthetic with quasi-futuristic accents, and I can't make up my mind if it actually works. Still though, you have once again demonstrated how far the rep industry has come. Hell as soon as they clone a 7753 I think my days of covering gens may be over!

Thanks for sharing

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
great review, and I will pay for the beer!
I will vote for this as post of the month

aneki

31/7/08
Nice, I wondered when we'd see a writeup of the B01.

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
Thx for the very fast comments right after you received it :)
I choose it as the post of the month :lol:
Since I've enjoyed FineDD's gen pictorial, I've been quite impatient in seeing how the replica would really look like.
As you mentionned, the Chinese did the best possible replication with today's means : the A7750
BTW wouldn't it be time to have an A7753 clone, it should not be so difficult and would fit in so many reps, and put everyone in a win-win situation : the collectors and the manufacturers who could issue the super-ultimate versions ;)

It's true that the recessed DW seems to be an issue, although not new as a flaw. It looks (I said looks) even deeper than usual. The black on black is probably a solution, but I must say I've been seduced by FineDD's brown dial and have more than enough of black dials.

Otherwise I do love the square effect and the design... although it will still take time until I'm fully convinced by the bezel's font. BTW, 240 click is a nice performance too :)

pcsam

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
22/3/09
nice review mate ................ the cheap quartz version would fix the DW issue ?

Importr

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
23/10/06
Good stuff Roo - thanks for that ;) Congrats on your new watch and for being the first reviewer?

It seems that you are overly satisfied with the watch, as nothing seems to have upset you by surprise. Granted, its not like the SOSF, but on the whole its good enough.

Maybe one day the factories can offer it with the eta 7753 (like they did with the PAM daylight) - still not the same as B01, but the recessed dw issue is gone.

Good to know that the square pattern is visible... I guess the gen macros really emphasised it. Looks like i'll be ordering one soon! :)

fine dd

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
5/8/06
First-class review roo
applaus6uy.gif

If you want to buy my gen for a good price go to the link

My gen B01

I am Sam

Renowned Member
9/10/09
Thanks for the review Roo... very nice watch. Though I think from 5 feet you really can't tell how sunken the DW is but apparently it can be more visible depending on the proximity. I remember seeing a solution to sunken DW by Taka not sure if the same can be done on this model/movement.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Hey this is a nice watch, a shame about the sunken datewheel. I would not recommend this watch over Chronomat Evolution rep though (which I think is a well made watch too).

JellyJoe

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/9/09
Great review Gallino, I dont like that watch cos the new bezel is not up to snuff imho.
Anyway accurate information as always for any member concerned
JellyG.gif

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
regarding the 7753, just remember, the date setting pusher is at 10 and not integrated in the crown setting, but I could be wrong?

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
yes that's right.

Importr

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
23/10/06
regarding the 7753, just remember, the date setting pusher is at 10 and not integrated in the crown setting, but I could be wrong?

True, but like the calibre 23 Navitimer, the date can only be set by advancing the hour hand until the correct date is finally reached.

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
Five feet. :lol:

On a serious note. That DW is not sunken, it is a gravity well.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Remember, the gen uses B01 movement. So the date advancement is done via the crown. The movement is not based on ETA7753.

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
Thx for the info Taka :)
So here it is, a real inhouse movement ?
http://www.watchtime.com/2009/04/breitlings-chronomat-b01-with-manufacture-movement/

Caliber B01 has been in development for 5 years, and its launch coincides with Breitling’s 125th anniversary. A new, four-story addition to Breitling’s facility at La Chaux –de-Fonds houses the caliber’s construction. The movement incorporates a column-wheel switching mechanism and a vertical clutch, two hallmarks of a well-made chronograph. The vertical clutch assures that the chronograph seconds hand does not jump when the chronograph is engaged. The B01 has central chronograph seconds, continuous seconds at 9, and a jumping 30 minute totalizer at 3. The instant-change date is located at 4:30. The date can be changed at any time, including near midnight. The movement includes a patented system for adjusting the start, stop and reset hammers. The 47 jewel movement uses a flat hairspring and a smooth balance wheel. A single barrel provides 70 hours of power reserve. The B01 ticks along at 28,800 vph, and as with all Breitlings, the Chronomat B01 is COSC-certified.