• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Viet Gen-Spec 16710 Frankens are here to stay - byebye BP!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Who knows, maybe the commissary receives some different stock?

I don't see a lot of difference between our Coke inserts. The 2's are alike, the 4 has a wide top with a little serif on the top left. Some of it is angle of view but your 12 and 14 appear to be touching the bezel same as mine.

jWhTZv.jpg

jWhXI1.jpg

The newer ones have some different numbers that are closer to the crystal edge. Look how much closer the 10 12 14 are on this one than ours.

jWhddj.jpg

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Aside from a hanging 2, one of the biggest tells of an aftermarket GMT insert is that the bases of the 2's in 22 are straight across and don't gently curve to follow the arc of the insert inner perimeter. I search for and buy a ton of inserts and have yet to find an aftermarket 5 digit GMT insert that gets the 2's right in all respects.

There are some very accurate looking aftermarket 1675 inserts. It's always bugged me that they can get the 2's right on those but not the 5 digit ones.

Last edited:

LetMeHearItNow

Renowned Member
27/8/19
CONUS
Here are a few more examples… and yes, I’m aware I have too many Coke inserts. Reach out if you need one.

Most of these have serifs, but the first one with the blue arrow pointing at it was the original insert on my 16760 Fat Lady from 1985 and it oddly does not have serifs. The rest range from a little serif-y to a lot. The last insert on top is a Coke insert too it just changes colors to blue and orange-ish when light hits it.

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
I’m embarking on this project starting with a case order from tripdog Received a nice gen dial and hands and gen crown. Other parts on order as well.

Question: what’s the part number for a gen date disc?

Another question: I’d like to add a gen bracelet if possible. Most jubilees I see are horribly stretched out. I have a tool to dismantle them for repair but I’m not sure I’m ready to risk that on this project. I’ll probably go Oyster. My dial is a SWISS MADE version so everything should be a reasonable and appropriate match with the bracelet. Comments/suggestions from those in the know will be much appreciated.

Reactions: keisuke_z

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
So I got this from Adrian 3 weeks ago after over a year in production, Mind you it started out as a BP cased build and transition to a viet case build. Almost everything you see is genuine sans the case.... The dial however is a refinish with dommed lume in the round indices .. This is my fault, I bought the dial in a hurry and shipped to Adrian.. Now I really need a better dial.

Viet-16710-310c87e38a06a4a12.jpg

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
It’s beautiful! Not sure I would ever notice the domed lume. Can’t see it in the pic. Can you shave it off a bit so it’s flatter? Really nice build. Did you install a gen datewheel? If so, do you know if all 3135 datewheels are the same?

easy_beaching

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
2/7/20
Right by da beach, USA
Thrasher, that looks great man! You should probably post some more pics to show off the case shaping that was done. Wear in good health my man.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

kadeee

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
Just a few actual pics from my build.

In the meantime I was also able to source a gen bezel, the case is still the Vietnam case and a VR movement works inside the case. As I wear the watch frequently and I did not clean it please do not expect showroom like photos.

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
Just a few actual pics from my build.

In the meantime I was also able to source a gen bezel, the case is still the Vietnam case and a VR movement works inside the case. As I wear the watch frequently and I did not clean it please do not expect showroom like photos.

]

Looks great! Gen bracelet?

kadeee

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
Markiemark has access to excellent aftermarket bracelets from Italy. They also do 78790 bracelets with 501b Endlinks for a reasonable price

Reactions: WatchSmith.US

d.brocke

I'm Pretty Popular
Can anyone tell me know the gasket required when using a gen 295c Crystal? Will the gasket from the viet case do the trick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't really say in regards to the GMT cases but the 16570 Exp. II Viet case I recently received accepts the gen xtal with Viet ( and gen ) gaskets.
Same goes for the gen. Exp.II bezel.
Because this 16570 project of mine was geared towards yielding a "daily beater" I hadn't really planned on going gen crystal but the placement of the cyclop on the Viet crystal is way too far inboard.

If you're refering to which height gasket would be correct ( between the 2.5mm and 2.7mm ) I believe it's the 2.5mm gasket you're after.
If the Viet GMT cases are the same as the Viet 16570 Exp. II cases, ( and I believe that they are ) the crystal gasket height is 2.5mm ( at least on mine it is )

Last edited:
Reactions: Hor-Fan

d.brocke

I'm Pretty Popular
It’s beautiful! Not sure I would ever notice the domed lume. Can’t see it in the pic. Can you shave it off a bit so it’s flatter? Really nice build. Did you install a gen datewheel? If so, do you know if all 3135 datewheels are the same?

That would depend on what you mean by "the same"
In regards to the thickness and the direction of rotation for date progression, yes.
In regards to date wheel font, no.
There are at least 3 variations in font ( that I know of, anyway. ), being: serif, open 6 and 9 and modern "bold" ( for lack of a better term.)

WatchSmith.US

-- Watchmaker --
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
13/3/16
That would depend on what you mean by "the same"
In regards to the thickness and the direction of rotation for date progression, yes.
In regards to date wheel font, no.
There are at least 3 variations in font ( that I know of, anyway. ), being: serif, open 6 and 9 and modern "bold" ( for lack of a better term.)

Thank you! So I assume all gen 3135 datewheels have numbers in the correct location/placement and will work for a 16710 build without any surprises. I wasn’t sure if the GMT datewheels were the same as subs and other models or not.

Now I get to geek out learning which font will be most appropriate :)

Reactions: keisuke_z

d.brocke

I'm Pretty Popular
Thank you! So I assume all gen 3135 datewheels have numbers in the correct location/placement and will work for a 16710 build without any surprises. I wasn’t sure if the GMT datewheels were the same as subs and other models or not.

Now I get to geek out learning which font will be most appropriate :)

Correct.
If I'm not mistaken, the 3185 was based on the Cal.3135, with an added GMT complication.
IF the GMT II's followed suite in regards to dw font, the open 6 and 9 would date you at 1989.
The serif font would date you from late '89 though late '94, but again, ONLY if the GMT II's are like the 16610's in regards to date disc's.

Fortunately, this community is chock full of experienced members that can "remove all doubt" for you. :)

Reactions: Danza1813

Danza1813

Tempus Fugit
Supporter
Certified
28/11/09
UK
So I’m planning on constructing my 16700 build myself having done a few planet ocean frankens and a tc sub in the past. Anyone got any tips on hand installation, is it best to do it with the movement in the case, then press on the crystal and bezel after?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk