• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Help: Rolex Ref. 1500 Rep: Buy or Build

TheController

Known Member
18/1/15
EU
Hi there,

as mentioned in the other post about the Oysterdate Precision from Silix, Michelle swapped this model out (due to factory production change) to a Rolex Ref. 1500 replica.

I only got these two photos from her:

Close-Up of the "silver" dial:
https://imgur.com/W76C652

Overview of the available dial options:
https://imgur.com/DVqRDzY

Michelle told me, that the factory did swap out all the old domed crystals for flat crystals now - meaning a crystal mod must be done anyhow.

So my question is now, is this good enough of a rep to buy it for 248 dollar or would the outcome be much better if I let a ref 1500 be built by a knowledgeable member here on RWI with parts e.g. from Raffles etc.. (all replica parts)

I did not find any ref. 1500 rep dials on raffles and would like to have a good replica dial - if this is not an option I would go gen via ebay for around 250 dollar for the dial alone.

Any inputs would be highly appreciated.

Thank you and kind regards,
TheController

Reactions: aviditatis

deadpan

1/6/19
Over the horizon
I’m not sure that’s a question. There are too many variables. Depending on the modder/ your budget your own building skills a variety of results could be achieved. My limited knowledge would lead me to conclude that collecting parts and sending them to a talented modder would end up with a more ‘accurate’ result. But...it would obv. Depend upon your budget and how picky you are. I think from what I’ve learned, you’re going about it the right way (concentrating on the accuracy of the dial above other components), but it might depend on 1) how ‘accurate’ you want the end result. 2) what budget you have 3) if you would rather experience building it yourself.

In in terms of point 3, I’ve certainly spent far more breaking/ losing/ ruining parts trying to do things myself. But, I’ve learnt stuff along the way that has made me confident with what I do want to do/ try/ mess up/ lose & spend hours on my hands and knees crawling around on the carpet looking for a hand/ spring/ screw etc. That wouldn’t stop me from buying something like the above though, although I’d want to spend less/ have a go, and then decide if I wanted to buy more expensive components and send to a pro for modding/ assembly.

There are some amazing modders on here that will hopefully chime in

Last edited:

TheController

Known Member
18/1/15
EU
Hi deadpan,

thank you very much for your contribution.

Your observation is correct regarding that variables part in the equation so lets break it down a little bit clearer and hopefully some of our senior members and 4/5 digit date/datejust experts can help out to solve my dilemma :)

Option 1: Buy the silix ref. 1500 replica

This means also to mod the crystal myself (because it is flat now as stated by the TD and needs change to be period correct). Would need to source fitting & period correct crystal.

Question: According to the pictures (dial: LINK & case LINK - here pictured with the out of stock oyster precision dial). Is this replica any good to be legible for a somehow knowing onlooker (not an expert with magnification glass)

Option 2: Let a modder build a ref. 1500 (no gen parts - mainly raffles?)

This means getting the 34mm smooth bezel case incl. crown, tube & plexi (raffles?), 19mm bracelet - preferably jubilee (raffles?), hands (raffles?), movement (?), DW (raffles?), 27mm ref 1500 rep dial (???)

Question: if there is a very good (far better than silix replica) 1500 silver dial available, than this would have a benefit over the silix stock replica and justify the higher cost (probably around 550 EUR with good asian eta clone)

Option 3: Let a modder build a ref. 1500 (w/ gen dial)

This means same partlist as Option 2 - rep dial + gen dial

Question: ist this feasible with the listed parts and would have a great result (probably around 700 EUR)

Option 4: Let a modder spice up the silix ref. 1500 replica (crystal + gen dial)

This means partlist as Option 1 + crystal + gen dial

Question: Is the case from silix good enough to mod it with a gen dial, then Option 4 would be the best price/value for the best outcome probably (probably also around 550 EUR)

Any expert help is highly appreciated especially judging the silix ref. 1500 replica and its capabilities to go w/ a gen dial (maybe even afterwards).

KR,
TheController

Docrolex

Known Member
28/12/19
Germany
1500 reps are not very popular right now. Nevertheless, I love those smaller, thinner, lighter Rolex watches, wearing a stone heavy Daytona is awkward for me. I give you a hint: there are gen. 1500 Cases, often with dial ,Hands and crown, because people are cannibalizing the unloved 1500 watches because of their 1570 Movement, which was used in older Submariners, Explorers and other sought after Watches. Few weeks ago, on Ebay Germany a gen. 1500 Case ended for somethng around 200 Euros. I would recommend be patient and wait for a gen case. When you wear a Franken with gen. case, Crystal, dial and crown, it looks and feel gen, and in fact, it is. Completely different feeling, wearing such a watch instead of wearing a rep.

deadpan

1/6/19
Over the horizon
I give you a hint: there are gen. 1500 Cases, often with dial ,Hands and crown, because people are cannibalizing the unloved 1500 watches because of their 1570 Movement, which was used in older Submariners, Explorers and other sought after Watches.

agree. I have seen 1500 cases for sale here as well. Very tempting prices. I’m unsure of which movements will squeeze in/ crown alignment etc. Though.
here’s an example;
https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...explorer-airking-oyster-date-build-pics-heavy

ths thread may be of interest;
https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/modification-repairs/8869204-the-franken-1500-adventure

Aside from that people (amongst others) like watchengsketch yodog and tripdog have built a range of vintage Rolex models.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
agree. I have seen 1500 cases for sale here as well. Very tempting prices. I’m unsure of which movements will squeeze in/ crown alignment etc. Though.
here’s an example;
https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...explorer-airking-oyster-date-build-pics-heavy

ths thread may be of interest;
https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/modification-repairs/8869204-the-franken-1500-adventure

Aside from that people (amongst others) like watchengsketch yodog and tripdog have built a range of vintage Rolex models.

Those cases look nice but ... 15000 engravements so far from perfect ...

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
In my opinion the Silix 1500 case is quite nice but it has 2 mains flaws :
1 - case and caseback are engrevad 15000 and not 1500 ... not a problem if you pay cheap and as long as you keep the stainless steel bracelet and the caseback on
2 - the flat area of the caseback is polished ... but brushing that pat "as per gen" :p is really doable if you know how to proceed and have some experience

It should take both Gen 1500, 14000, 5500 and 1002 dials ... at least the ones I got easily took my own Gen dials
What I've never tried to do is to put a Gen 1500 plexi on the rehaut ... but I can check the exterior diameter of the rehaut and the interior diameter of the bezel and post this here ...
As long as the rehaut is not "too small" and the bezel is not "too large" a Gen plexi should fit with a little modding ...

Of course you will still need to source a Gen 6mm crown (not that difficult) and a genlike DW overlay if you decide to go with a Gen dial ...

So the main problem will be the dial ...
1 - the Gen 1500 dials on the web are often in bad condition or, IMHO, overpriced
2 - the dial feet are for 1570 movement so you'll have to clip them ... or drill the mainplate of your movement you'll use (sometimes possible / sometimes not / always tricky and risky)

One thing you could conisder, if you're happy with the writings on the Rep dial, is to put a Gen coronet and Gen markers if you can source a cheap damage dial than you can wampirize

Hope this helps

Reactions: deadpan

TheController

Known Member
18/1/15
EU
I just found out that my reply a few days ago hasnt been posted sooo.... here we go again:

Docrolex : You hint regarding a gen case set was very good and got me on the hunt fur such a "piece" - thank you!
deadpan : Thank you very much for the cases - I have looked at them and for me personally I am not fully convinced of its genuity :) / The other thread of the build update is gold ;)
manodeoro : This is absolutely great advice and therefore my current verdict is:

A new Option 5 arrives: Frankenwatch (gen case, tube, crystal, dial, hands , rest replica)
If a case set can be found for a reasonable price it will be bought and given to a modder to finish it with an Asian Eta and genlike DW plus crown etc.

If Option 5 cant be achieved Option 4 (Silix replica 1500 + gen dial & aftermarket crystal) will be followed through.

Any other recommendations are as usual highly appreciated.

Reactions: deadpan

Docrolex

Known Member
28/12/19
Germany
Not long ago, someone sold a franken 1500 on repgeek. Have a look at the specs. He used a movement holder to mount the eta into the original 1500 case. In my eyes, using a gen set with another movement is the best solution, because the watch looks and feels gen in every aspect, every part you are touching or looking at is gen. Thats a big difference in joy of wearing, believe me. I have a franken Datejust 16000 with VR 3135, which means, that even the hands are gen. Wearing this watch is the same feeling as wearing a gen, believe me. I am very interested in this thread, as in my boxes from my recent times collector period, I have a complete gen 1500 set as well as a complete gen. airking set , both complete with everything, dials, hand, crowns, etc. But without movements. Sooner or later i would like to revive them with eta movements.

38859163fo.jpeg

Last edited:

TheController

Known Member
18/1/15
EU
You are right, I have already decided to go for the gen case set and just source bracelet and movement from replica dealers. Will keep you posted what I end up with.

I already found a case set but its a bit steep in price... lets see what I can end up with :)

Docrolex

Known Member
28/12/19
Germany
Good decision. I finished my 16xxx build not long ago, did the last necessary work yesterday and am wearing it since then. Feels and looks great, complete different feeling towards wearing a rep, even if it is a nice rep. But you know its fake and that makes the difference.
Here pics:
38914724ml.jpeg

38914727mz.jpeg

But a 5 digit case is quite simple to do because it takes a VR 3135 clone movement which takes gen. dial, hands, stem and crown. Was not really plug and play, but not a difficult task.
Building a 1500 franken is a challlenging task. It requires a movement with correct stem height, pinion height, movement holder ring, fitting stem to gen. crown, messing around with the position of datewheel, other hands, or the gen. hands have to be modified, and dial feet have to be cut and remounted or resoldered, all this is quite a task. Would be great if somebody here had done this successfully and could help with advice. I even would be open to offers from experienced enthusiasts or professionals, to do it for me, using my gen. parts.

Reactions: TheController

TheController

Known Member
18/1/15
EU
Good decision. I finished my 16xxx build not long ago, did the last necessary work yesterday and am wearing it since then. Feels and looks great, complete different feeling towards wearing a rep, even if it is a nice rep. But you know its fake and that makes the difference.
Here pics:
38914724ml.jpeg

38914727mz.jpeg

But a 5 digit case is quite simple to do because it takes a VR 3135 clone movement which takes gen. dial, hands, stem and crown. Was not really plug and play, but not a difficult task.
Building a 1500 franken is a challlenging task. It requires a movement with correct stem height, pinion height, movement holder ring, fitting stem to gen. crown, messing around with the position of datewheel, other hands, or the gen. hands have to be modified, and dial feet have to be cut and remounted or resoldered, all this is quite a task. Would be great if somebody here had done this successfully and could help with advice. I even would be open to offers from experienced enthusiasts or professionals, to do it for me, using my gen. parts.

It turned out as a beauty! Thank you very much for the input regarding the Franken build! Also got good insights regarding a movement placement into the gen parts and yes you are right, hands need some alteration - in this case I decided to give it to an expert on this forum to mod once I find the correct case set :)

TheController

Known Member
18/1/15
EU
TheController I have a case, caseback and bracelet for a 1501 if that interests you. I also have a gen 1500. The 1501 set is actually posted on here for sale That includes the dial, hands etc

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...nken-parts-kit-would-suit-5500-explorer-build

Thank you very much for your reply! Parts do look very tempting - however I am looking for a smooth bezel, as the engine turned is a little to busy for my taste. Silver dial is top notch though. GLWS!