• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

vintage dial making

swisstswiss

Known Member
3/5/18
Hi to all,today I want to show you my project custom dials
as we all know there are a lot of source for vintage dial like mq,phong and some other Vietnam dealers...but We know that a lot of that have a lot of flaws and need some modification to fit in cartel case or eta movement
So the first thing I do I study a 1680 dials all the variation of font type of printing,crown,word ecc
The first step I make a cad drawing of dial mainplate for eta and for 1570,after I make a vector file whit a graphic design, we start from a genuine 1680 mk1,after that I spent a lot of time to correct the flaws...we do the drawing for about 6/7 time before have the finish one...now I have the correct draw and I’m doing the cliche for the dial printing...next week I finish the cliche and I can start the first sample....I choose the 1680 red because is one of my fav watches and I’m also doing custom case set for it...after the 1680 I will do some other dials...I have already some draw for different model.
thanks a lot let me know if you have any advice :)

Sent from the RWI App

Reactions: Dan71

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Neat! Look forward to the prototypes.

I have noticed the red in the Submariner often has a slight white offset and in my reading it's suggested the red has a white base. You should look into it.

Reactions: p0pperini

k4jun

Ω Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Certified
25/4/15
Fingers crossed for your project.

That cliche for the dial printing, could you tell more how does it work?

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Fingers crossed for your project.

That cliche for the dial printing, could you tell more how does it work?

Cliche is a synonym for stencil. It's what is used in pad printing, a technique used to transfer ink that is sharp and clear even when extremely small, and can be printed on irregularly shaped surfaces like a golf ball for example.

https://www.uniquepadprinting.com/what-is-pad-printing

oldtools

14/6/11
Nice! I look forward to seeing your dials. Since you are making a 1680 dial, how about making a cliche for a date wheel overlay with open 6 & 9? I'm sure many of us will want to get a date wheel overlay that looks like gen.

Reactions: irishjohn

swisstswiss

Known Member
3/5/18
Neat! Look forward to the prototypes.

I have noticed the red in the Submariner often has a slight white offset and in my reading it's suggested the red has a white base. You should look into it.

Yes because the mk1 is fort printed all white and after the red submariner is printed before in white and after in red but not in all mk...

Sent from the RWI App

swisstswiss

Known Member
3/5/18
Nice! I look forward to seeing your dials. Since you are making a 1680 dial, how about making a cliche for a date wheel overlay with open 6 & 9? I'm sure many of us will want to get a date wheel overlay that looks like gen.

Yes have already cliché for that

Sent from the RWI App

swisstswiss

Known Member
3/5/18
Yes for the moment I have dw also in making...but is not 100% correct i have to buy a gen one to make photo and after draw...and before I have to do the eta plate 3d draw for it....

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando RWI

swisstswiss

Known Member
3/5/18
Submariner in Mk1,2,4 is printed before in white and after in red...the other only in red

swisstswiss

Known Member
3/5/18
Cliche is a synonym for stencil. It's what is used in pad printing, a technique used to transfer ink that is sharp and clear even when extremely small, and can be printed on irregularly shaped surfaces like a golf ball for example.

https://www.uniquepadprinting.com/what-is-pad-printing

Yes correct is like a stencil...is a engraved plate you put the paint on it and after whit the pad you transfer the paint from the plate to your object...this technique is used also for golf ball,bottle,pen ecc...for the dial I have to use special pad whit different shape...and also is a bit more difficulty for the alinement but I already make a stand for the dial plate...

Sent from the RWI App

Reactions: KJ2020

Dan71

Renowned Member
24/4/15
Italy
Subscribed..

Like do you already know the gen dial for 1680 is 26.5mm but the cartel jkf 1680/5513 at the moment accept only 26mm dial.
The new jkf 1665 instead accept gen 26.5 dial.

So if you want make a 1680 dial for a cartel 1680 you have to set for a 26mm dial
If you want a dial for a gen spec VIetnam dial the diameter is 26.5

Reactions: KJ2020

swisstswiss

Known Member
3/5/18
Subscribed..

Like do you already know the gen dial for 1680 is 26.5mm but the cartel jkf 1680/5513 at the moment accept only 26mm dial.
The new jkf 1665 instead accept gen 26.5 dial.

So if you want make a 1680 dial for a cartel 1680 you have to set for a 26mm dial
If you want a dial for a gen spec VIetnam dial the diameter is 26.5

Yes thanks I know I do two dial plate different one for cartel
And one gen spec... also in the dial I will put feet for eta and gen mov as I say before also I’m doing also the case set for 1680 but for the moment is a sterile version...

Sent from the RWI App

maikols

5/10/18
And talk us about the price please..

Will you do a gmt version?

Inviato dal mio STF-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

maikols

5/10/18
When you will sell your dial mate!

Inviato dal mio STF-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

swisstswiss

Known Member
3/5/18
Ah I don’t know how to sell and if is possible...for the forum ecc but let’s wait for the finish of the project after I will discuss of the mod if it possibile also for me for the quantity ecc also I have to relume all the dial...ecc