• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

NOS Explorer 1016 on Jubilee (JMB case & Yuki dial)

Pseudorep

Horology Curious
11/10/18
This is my first foray into vintage watches and I wanted to do things a little different. Since seeing the Explorer 1016 on a Jubilee I knew I wanted this look, but also I knew I wanted to swap it up with an oyster too.

Browsing through RWI in mid August I saw that jmb's excellent case was available again, and so was Yuki's Matt White lume dial for ETA. This was the time to start the build.

With a fair bit of research, I started the search for all the various options and how to go full rep and not have any major anachronisms.
The Yuki dial is closest to a service dial, so I knew I could get away with a late 70s case serial number, and claim it was a later service dial. With some more research, and the bracelet options available, this confirmed a 5.9m s/n (1979) was my best compromise. This way I could wear it on a mid/late-70s folded oyster (7386) or an late 70s jubilee (62510h) and be generally period accurate.

I'm not a big fan of the "faux ageing" so I asked Justin to leave it as-new and go for a NOS/serviced Explorer 1016. This may hurt some vintage purists, but I'd rather put 40 years of natural wear on this watch myself. The dial did have a very faint mark/line on it, but since it only shows up when you really hunt for it and the dial is meant to be a mid-90s era service dial, a faint mark looks more authentic than a pristine dial.

The watch is powered by a top-grade ETA 2824, sourced from B-Line Watch AG (via Ebay). I swapped out the standard date yoke for a 2-position yoke so there's no phantom date, and put a H3 hand set so the hands are almost the same height as on a 1570 caliber. Obviously this is the wrong beat rate, but since none of the older ETA calibers would fit without more mods and none would keep COSC spec (like the gen watch) this was a fair compromise. ETA 2824 winds and sets hands in the same direction as the gen 1570 caliber which is far more important for accuracy. The gen ETA is beautiful though, it keeps great time and winds like butter. I doubt a freshly serviced gen 1570 would feel any better.

The bracelets were sourced from Mary Watch (TD over the road), and they feel great. The end links (455b/380b) on both take 1.8mm springbars. The end holes on the jubilee are only drilled to take 1.8mm bars, but the oyster takes 2.0mm bars. I probably won't drill out the jubilee as there isn't much metal there to work with. I plan to swap out the 380b endlinks on the oyster with 580 endlinks from WSO in the near future so I can put the 2.0mm springbars on. The 455b end links fit great though, so probably won't swap them for 550s.

Springbars were from CousinsUK.

I didn't get many photos of the parts prior to the build because I like to keep everything sealed and free from potential damage until my watchmaker puts it together, but here's a few case photos from Justin and bracelet photos from Mary.

My watchmaker/builder for this was Ray at Blacktown Watch Express BLK.W.EXPRESS since I'm based in Sydney. He's a great guy to work with, did a great job here and has served me well over the past few months with all my other issues/mods.

Build cost:
$315 - Case (inc shipping)
$115 - Dial
$304 - Top grade ETA2824 Movement + No-date Yoke + H3 Hand set
$5 - Springbars
~$740

Obviously this is a lot more than a standard Cartel rep, and whether it's an upgrade is up to you but most of the cost could be slimmed down if I hadn't gone all out in movement.

Finally, here is the watch in the sunlight (with a wrist roll).

giphy.gif

Reactions: johnlogan

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Sweet build! The explorer is my Jam! JMB is a great guy to work with and provides a quality product and service to the community! In some of my recent builds I have gone with 2824 clones and have had success with them They have a lower beat rate than gen etas and keep good time.

Wear it well Cheers

wristonfire123

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
27/12/18
United Kingdom
I finished my build last month too. First one I've ever tried to do and I was adamant I wanted to make it all my self. Relatively easy when jmb does the hard parts!

I went for the T21 plexi rather than the T22 because I wanted the domed look.

Built by me, for me.

Next up will be a 1675!
184ee4f4e3ce715596e8aa635722d1dd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Reactions: 369mafia

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
I finished my build last month too. First one I've ever tried to do and I was adamant I wanted to make it all my self. Relatively easy when jmb does the hard parts!

I went for the T21 plexi rather than the T22 because I wanted the domed look.

Built by me, for me.

Next up will be a 1675!
184ee4f4e3ce715596e8aa635722d1dd.jpg

Nicely done.....where was the dial sourced? Raffles?

wristonfire123

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
27/12/18
United Kingdom
Nicely done.....where was the dial sourced? Raffles?

Thanks! 369mafia it was meant to be a build for next year but after talking to you about the raffles dials I got a bit carried away!

Dial & Hands - Yuki for Eta

Case - JMB with T21 Plexi

Movement - Seagull ST2130 (looses around 1.5 seconds per day OOTB)

Bracelet - Etsy

I'm still debating how I want to the dial. I've aged the lume slightly but I'm not 100% happy with the result so I may redo the lume on the hands & dial completely. Just need to decide which colour I want the lume!

Last edited:
Reactions: 369mafia

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Thanks! 369mafia it was meant to be a build for next year but after talking to you about the raffles dials I got a bit carried away!

Dial & Hands - Yuki for Eta

Case - JMB with T21 Plexi

Movement - Seagull ST2130 (looses around 1.5 seconds per day OOTB)

Bracelet - Etsy

I'm still debating how I want to the dial. I've aged the lume slightly but I'm not 100% happy with the result so I may redo the lume on the hands & dial completely. Just need to decide which colour I want the lume!

Nicely done I like it how it is. I prefer the lume to be a lighter toasted almond colour rather than a pumpkin orange

wristonfire123

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
27/12/18
United Kingdom
Nicely done I like it how it is. I prefer the lume to be a lighter toasted almond colour rather than a pumpkin orange
That's what I'm aiming for, I've used some coffee on the hands (that way the lume will still glow slightly. Although I know that it shouldn't as tritium has a half life of 12 years.) I'm looking for a creamy white / toasted almond. I'll be using real lume when I get round to re - doing it. I'll also make it little more puffy and gen like.

I've currently used my wife's tinted moisturiser mixed with a little coffee grain to darken the colour. Applied with a tooth pick!

The only issue after a couple of days it dried a couple of shades darker than intended!

wristonfire123

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
27/12/18
United Kingdom
Beautiful build! How did you colored the lume?
Tinted moisturiser mixed with ground coffee to darken the colour, applied with a tooth pick. Plus lots of patience.

I rushed it at one point and tried to use a hair drier to dry it faster. This caused the oil in the moisturiser to run a little and created pools around the lume so I had to clean it all off and start again.

I also didn't realise that it would dry a few shades darker than intended after a few days so I'm still not 100% happy.

For the hands I made some black coffee and lightly applied with a toothpick.

I'll be creating a post at some point with what I did, how i did it and and tips I've learnt to help others on their first builds.

Reactions: Matt5513

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Your wife must have wondered what you were doing with her make up.

“Ohhh nothing dear. Just using it on my watch dial “. ????????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Matt5513

Matt5513

9/3/18
Tinted moisturiser mixed with ground coffee to darken the colour, applied with a tooth pick. Plus lots of patience.

I rushed it at one point and tried to use a hair drier to dry it faster. This caused the oil in the moisturiser to run a little and created pools around the lume so I had to clean it all off and start again.

I also didn't realise that it would dry a few shades darker than intended after a few days so I'm still not 100% happy.

For the hands I made some black coffee and lightly applied with a toothpick.

I'll be creating a post at some point with what I did, how i did it and and tips I've learnt to help others on their first builds.

Thanks!!! Great tips!!

WatchMe63

Known Member
11/9/19
Northern California
This is a Beautiful build. Keep me in mind if you ever get tired of it. Did you perform the work yourself? if you used a Watchmaker can he do similar work for others?

rred5

5/10/19
I've been looking for someone to build a 1965 Explorer. I really enjoyed reading about your journey. Like "WatchMe63," if there any leads on someone to do all the work, please pass them onto me.

Reactions: HootschiGootschi

wristonfire123

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
27/12/18
United Kingdom
This is a Beautiful build. Keep me in mind if you ever get tired of it. Did you perform the work yourself? if you used a Watchmaker can he do similar work for others?

I did all the work myself. The JMB case comes already made so you're only putting a dial & hands, on the movement then cutting the stem to the correct length. It's a lot easier than you think it is. If I didn't manage to get the dial with ETA feet, it would have been a different story! I practiced on some old reps that I brought before I stumbled across RWI before working on this build.