• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex Milgauss 1019

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
This build took quite a long time to complete - around 6 months. The case and dial took several months to be made, then the maker forgot to include the hands in the parcel - only discovered when it was delivered, obviously.

A second set of hands were shipped, and they never arrived. . .

A third set went out and were finally delivered.

The case, dial and hands are made to genuine specifications, the movement is a NOS freshly serviced 2842. Getting Rolex size hands on an ETA is not easy, getting an ETA into a Faraday cage made for a Rolex 1580 is also not easy.

V2JZfh.jpg

V2JEbD.jpg

The Faraday cage had to be extensively modified in order to firmly hold the ETA movement inside, and then for the Faraday cage to be clamped in place inside the case.

V2JWjU.jpg

V2Jb08.jpg

The Chinese factories have never replicated any of the Milgauss models accurately - too may variations on dials, hands, cases etc. So if you want an accurate Milgauss, the only option is high end cases and dials from those great guys in 'Nam.

No genuine Rolex parts on this watch - all is aftermarket. Even so, the total bill on this is close to $3k.

V2JS86.jpg

The Milgauss is an odd watch. In the 50s and 60s, Rolex began to develop purpose built watches that would appeal to specific segments of the market. The Submariner was aimed at the diver, the GMT-Master the international traveller, the Daytona the racer, the Explorer was aimed at the adventurer. And the Milgauss was the scientists watch.

V2JgAq.jpg

V2Jhv0.jpg

The story is that scientists at the CERN nuclear research facility in Switzerland were unable to wear standard watches because of the magnetic fields - which rendered a standard watch useless. They asked Rolex if they could jointly find a solution, and the Milgauss was the result.

V2JdqF.jpg

V2JHMr.jpg

Able to withstand up to 1000 gauss of magnetism (mille = 1000, thus the name Milgauss), the Milgauss was a watch that CERN scientists were finally able to wear in their fabulously magnetic laboratories.

V2JOBI.jpg

V2J38o.jpg

The first Rolex Milgauss, the ref. 6541 was produced in 1956 and looked a lot like the Submariner. The Rolex Milgauss 1019 followed in 1960, with a new calibre 1580 movement. The case diameter was a little larger at 38mm, and the 1019 was a more simpler, refined looking watch. Production of the 1019 ended in 1988.

V2JmvL.jpg

V2J5HK.jpg

In that time there were the inevitable design variations in the dial. Two colors were produced - black or silver, and the early CERN dials always silver. There was also the half-hash dials and the rare 1/5 hash dials. The CERN dials also had no lume at all, so that there would be no interference with any sort of radioactive testing.

V2QDee.jpg

There were variations in hands as well. On early models the hands were polished with a ridge down the middle. Later models had hands that were flat, with a brushed finish. The lightning bolt second hand was featured on the 6541, but disappeared for the 1019 The 1019’s second hand was tipped with a unique red arrowhead.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
whats that cage made of ?

rol_man

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
25/7/08
Nice build! Thanks for the write-up!

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Beautifully done Tripdog. This is definitely not an easy build!! That case looks propper. That rehaut to chapter ring gap tho...... Initially I thought that it was a Yuki dial but afaik they only do the early dials with the 5th second marks. this is the 1/2 second marks so is the dial gen? Viet sourced ?

If only there was an easy way to reduce that gap it would be perfection!!

Not knocking your skills and talents of course brother..great job....it's just a mismeasurement on either the case builder or dial makers end.

This makes 3 builds that are known. This is the first with a full cage!!

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
The only gap I see here is the one I need to fill before I can build such beautiful watches ;)

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/12/15
What a masterpiece. You are truly talented, avantgarde. A quick look over at C24 I'm blown away by the asking price for these forgotten GEN gems.

cpd2186

Runway Model
Supporter
5/4/16
I have always wanted one of these watches but my microwave that heats up my Hot Pockets creates 1001 gauss of magnetism so it is out of the question for me, but this watch is a beautiful watch for whoever has the ability to own it (or whoever doesn't own the same microwave as me.....!)

Last edited:

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
I have always wanted one of these watches but my microwave that heats up my Hot Pockets creates 1001 gauss of magnetism so it is out of the question for me, but this watch is a beautiful for whoever has the ability to own it (or whoever doesn't own the same microwave as me.....!)

Holmes, just turn the ion flux reducter screw on the micro 3 clicks to the left and you're at 971 gauss - perfect for pop ups and no damage to the watch.

Danster

Known Member
11/8/18
Really really nice...not seen a Milgauss like this before...

Last edited:
Reactions: tripdog

Fastman119

10/1/19
My god.. never failing to push the envelope. Insane build & props to the dedication! Will take when green ;)