Announcement

Collapse

Please Consider Supporting RWI Today!

We depend on Supporter & Patron subscriptions to pay the bills. Please consider supporting RWI TODAY, CLICK HERE for info on how to subscribe.
See more
See less

Phong 1665 'thin case' DRSD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Phong 1665 'thin case' DRSD

    Phong. Everybody knows the name . Purveyor of high end 'gen' spec' 'Rolex' parts. Gonna need a respectable paper stack though if you wanna buy off Phong - this shit's phucking expensive - $1400 for a case, $200 for hand sets etc.

    The best thing about Phongs cases is the engravings- they're cleaner and crisper than Rolex engravings - which would mean they aren't really gen' spec' . . .

    The worst thing about Phong is, well, Phong. His 'vintage' case refinishing is plain weird. A Phong vintage refinished case looks like a blob of ice cream that's just starting to melt in the sun. Everything is soft, rounded, indistinct.

    Below is a Phong 'thin case' 1665 DRSD. Except it's not really a 'thin case', it's a thick case with the top shaved off on a lathe. That's cheating - and it's not gen' spec'.

    The 'thin case' 1665's actually used a 5513 case with HEV as the base - this was later replaced with the dedicated 'thick case' to make the distinction between the SD's and Submariners.

    This Phong 'thin case' case needed some work - an almost total absence of straight lines and flat surfaces, and a general level of finish that means you wonder why you paid $1400 for it, especially if you have to send it off to again to get it sorted.
    .
    At the workshop in Compton (DaPhuck Rephinishing, next to the McDonalds) they did a great job as usual.

    Before:










    After:










    Thanks for looking.
    Vintage Rolex Builds: http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/tripdog/library/

    #2
    Phongs been hittin the bong to much.

    Comment


      #3
      Brushed per Gen baby!!!!!
      "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful"

      Comment


        #4
        clean!!!
        Gens: Rolex 116334, Rolex 116233 DD, Rolex 16018 DJ, Rolex 116613LB, Rolex 1675/3
        Reps: Franken 1675, Franken 116520


        My Vintage Rolex Builds!

        Comment


          #5
          Mastery of the craft!
          Current Collection

          Done counting. Madness.

          Comment


            #6
            Yeah......it's no 2:1 double gen-spec though...

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by tripdog View Post
              At the workshop in Compton (DaPhuck Rephinishing, next to the McDonalds) they did a great job as usual.
              As is often the case when Trip displays his acerbic wit, I suspect the neighbours heard me laughing.

              Comment


                #8
                The engraving on that case is awesome and your metal work skills take to another level man.

                Comment


                  #9
                  I like to imagine you as the guy in your avatar when I read these threads.

                  Doesn't shaving the top of the case off mean that that the tube hole is way off center? It looks like it needs to be filled and redrilled lower, if that's even possible.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by jimcon11 View Post
                    I like to imagine you as the guy in your avatar when I read these threads.

                    Doesn't shaving the top of the case off mean that that the tube hole is way off center? It looks like it needs to be filled and redrilled lower, if that's even possible.
                    The tube position in the case is determined by the movement and it's stem height - shaving the top off the case means the bezel assembly will sit lower, it will also give the impression the crystal is taller and that the crown sits higher in the case, but it won't have any impact on the alignment of the crown/stem/movement.
                    Vintage Rolex Builds: http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/tripdog/library/

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by tripdog View Post

                      The tube position in the case is determined by the movement and it's stem height - shaving the top off the case means the bezel assembly will sit lower, it will also give the impression the crystal is taller and that the crown sits higher in the case, but it won't have any impact on the alignment of the crown/stem/movement.
                      I see what you're saying. From your pics it just worries me that your crown is going to be sitting higher on the case than it should. My big crown has that issue a bit because the tube was drilled at a slight angle for some reason.

                      Anyway, the case lines look 100% better than the phlubber you received, I'm sure you've got a plan to make it work.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        looking very nice....
                        Here are a few photos of a gen, hard to tell if the crown in yours sits too high...
                        The placing of the lugholes seems to be too much to the lug tip, on the gen there is more space between the lug tip and the hole..
                        Also the place of the HEV is a bit higher in regards to the gen.

                        Last edited by capice01; 14-03-19, 06:09.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by capice01 View Post
                          looking very nice....
                          Here are a few photos of a gen, hard to tell if the crown in yours sits too high...
                          The placing of the lugholes seems to be too much to the lug tip, on the gen there is more space between the lug tip and the hole..
                          Also the place of the HEV is a bit higher in regards to the gen.
                          That's a 'thick case' 1665 - as I said in the OP the 'thin case' 1665 used a 5513 case as it's base - much thinner than the 'thick case' which it replaced - crown position is different and so are lug hole positions compared to the 'thick case' 1665.

                          Vintage Rolex Builds: http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/tripdog/library/

                          Comment


                            #14
                            sorry, still a noob on Rolex...but learning a lot

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X