• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Mythical Vintage Panerai

HAS17HA

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/11/17
This was a fun little project that I tried my hands on a free (Parnis???) watch that I got along with a crocodile strap. This generic watch came with a broken crown stem attached to a Panatime crocodile strap that I bought second hand. Quick fix later got it running strong and I thought I'd do something interesting while testing out few techniques at the same time.
Hot brush brass coating took care of the shiny stainless steel. I'm testing out the durability of this kind of coating before commissioning a watch from master of this art Natas78 .
The dial was printed with cheap transfer paper and clear coated. I imagined a watch that was created by Panerai for Sri Lankan navy (Ceylon then) in 1950s.
Re-did the lume in blue and at the final assembly the seconds hand broke :mad:.
So next up is to replace the seconds hand and bend the minutes hand down a bit.

JyL7f.jpg

Jy7oA.jpg

JyTmT.jpg

JyN7K.jpg

Natas78

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
21/8/11
EU
Cool project! Durablility of the brass brushing is quite good, caseback might fade because of direct and prolonged skin contact though :)

Reactions: HAS17HA

HAS17HA

28/11/17
Cool project! Durablility of the brass brushing is quite good, caseback might fade because of direct and prolonged skin contact though :)

Thanks Natas78 , will test it out and contact you when the times right

HAS17HA

28/11/17
Another one from a dial that I had laying around. It was a California dial that I screwed up when I tried to age it. I wanted to take it to bare metal and acetone and Hcl took even the enamel coating off to reveal brass dial with depressed hour marking. All it needed to do was to fill those hour markings with lume and lay a transfer paper print out over the whole dial and varnish it. Result is
J3STF.jpg

J3w3q.jpg

J3PCG.jpg

J3s6a.jpg
J3HGo.jpg

J3XEL.jpg

J3R3R.jpg