• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

5500 Air-King Precision with patina dial - circa 1975

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Wow impressive dial work. I really like how this is progressing. I need to fill the old spring bars on my explorer cases. Was thinking about solder. Turns out great. Keep it up and more pics please !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Wow impressive dial work. I really like how this is progressing. I need to fill the old spring bars on my explorer cases. Was thinking about solder. Turns out great. Keep it up and more pics please !!!

Thanks a lot Jsebwc
I'll probably do some work casework within the next months, thining the lugs and the bezel to get as close as possible to the gen.

About to "fill the old spring bars" I'm not 100% certain that I understood what you mean.
Do you want to fill the lug holes ?
If YES ... I have talked about that with jmb and he thought the best way would be TIG solder.
But I'll try with siver solder an see how is sort.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16

My bad ... do you want to fill the existing holes of a watch after your have drilled the lugs ?
If YES you can either use silver solder or some two-components metal glue

lezec

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/4/18
Sydney
Today I am really happy to introduce you to my newcomer, a 5500 Air-King Precision circa 1975.

That watch shows a really nice patina dial and offers a thrilling experience on the wrist ... for vintage watch lovers of course.

And it's been a really long journey to get that petite on my wrist.

I'll tell you the complete story a little later but for the moment … i just hope you'll enjoy the pics.

Very nice dial.

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Very nice dial.

Thank you :smildzor:
I really lke that one (on my wrist today) though it lacks 3D effect.

About that 3D effect ... since a few days I'm playing with the idea of actually printing my own dials.
At the moment I'm still "gathering knowledge and informations" but I hope I could show some printed dials before the end of this year.
If I succeed it will be a huge step forward :bleh:

Asterix88

Looking Around
5/11/19
As a Newby to this site this post stands out as being the best in terms of a good introduction to the hobby and the epitome of skill one should I aim for.