• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Cartel 6263 Dial Swap

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Just wrapped up a handsome dial and hand swap for another member here for his Cartel 6263. When it arrived I was impressed at the watch - having not handled a Daytona before. Swapping out the dial, I can only say it’s improved the watch quite a bit. It’s tempting to go get one for myself now...

Build:

- Cartel 6263

- Yuki Dial

- Alpha subdial hands

The project involved approximately three thousand five hundred and sixty eight intricate steps - probably more than some recents builds I’ve seen posted here. Work included realigning the 6 o’clock subdial (expanding the opening on the secondary dial plate, staring at the watch and considering my next step, countersinking the main plate to accept the new location the the subdial wheel, and epoxying into place), painting the Alpha hands a flat epoxy white, and getting it all out back together

Take a look at the results Thanks for looking!

1O9MZ.jpg

1OPAR.jpg

1Oflg.jpg

1ONba.jpg

1Oiqy.jpg

1OTMG.jpg

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
is this a commercial for your work, which looks nice btw?

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Ha! Honestly I posted it because it’s fun to post eye candy, I was hoping a couple people would chuckle at the write up, a handful would say “beautiful watch”, and one person would inquire further about how to swap out a cartel dial with a Yuki since the 6 o’clock subdials don’t align (and all the holes in the secondary dial and main plate don’t either) and I could go on to elaborate on how I did it. It’s fun to work on watches and fun to share how it was done (and the results).
Thanks by the way!

ADINVA

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/5/18
Nice piece! Must be quite an effort to work on a chrono. Are all subdials working?

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
It was a fun challenge! It is a ST19 movement and only the 9 o’clock and 3 o’clock subdials are functional. The 6 o’clock is simply an adhered wheel with post fixed in place.

markiemark

Bracelet King
Patron
18/4/13
EU
Ha! Honestly I posted it because it’s fun to post eye candy, I was hoping a couple people would chuckle at the write up, a handful would say “beautiful watch”, and one person would inquire further about how to swap out a cartel dial with a Yuki since the 6 o’clock subdials don’t align (and all the holes in the secondary dial and main plate don’t either) and I could go on to elaborate on how I did it. It’s fun to work on watches and fun to share how it was done (and the results).
Thanks by the way!

Im interested how you managed to do it! Do you have a tutorial? Haha. I bought 2 6263's with a venus 75 and planning to install vietnam dials in both. So a little guidance is highly appreciated! :)

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Im interested how you managed to do it! Do you have a tutorial? Haha. I bought 2 6263's with a venus 75 and planning to install vietnam dials in both. So a little guidance is highly appreciated! :)

When you remove the dial you’ll discover a movement cover plate. It looks like a secondary dial or a plate for subdials since it has the subdials printed on it in red.
Ix8HU.jpg

This plate is held in by three screws. Remove it.

IxfyD.jpg

Next, and sorry I don’t have pics as I didn’t document the process as I did it, remove the 6 o’clock subdial wheel. It will either be friction held in place or with a couple dots of glue.

Reconnect the plate and put on the new dial. Center the remaining subdials and main pinions - mark the center of the 6 o’clock subdial. This will show you where you need to cut thru the plate.

Remove the plate again, cut the area needed to adjust subdial wheel.
IxP8h.jpg

Reattach plate again, align dials, mark center. This time you’re marking thru the plate to the movement main plate. This mark will indicate where you need to countersink to allow room for the subdial wheel to lay flat (it’s a 3 dimensional wheel that needs clearance on the back side). Countersink, apply a few small drops of epoxy to both sides of the wheel, reconnect secondary plate, center dial based on other subdials and main pinions, adjust 6 o’clock subdial wheel as needed (act quickly as the timer is ticking on the epoxy - I used epoxy 330), let glue set overnight, attach dial, attach hands, enjoy watch.

Of note, for this particular project, the owner wanted the dial to be attached with dial dots. I used three. You could always opt to solder your feet on to align to the movement. This is how I do it: https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...attach-dial-feet-without-an-expensive-machine
If you chose to try this method, be careful with how much time you apply heat to the dial, depending on the dial there is risk of heat damage.

Again, sorry I don’t have more visuals and I wish I knew the name of that secondary plate that looks like a dial (sort of).

Hope that helps.

markiemark

Bracelet King
Patron
18/4/13
EU
When you remove the dial you’ll discover a movement cover plate. It looks like a secondary dial or a plate for subdials since it has the subdials printed on it in red.
Ix8HU.jpg

This plate is held in by three screws. Remove it.

IxfyD.jpg

Next, and sorry I don’t have pics as I didn’t document the process as I did it, remove the 6 o’clock subdial wheel. It will either be friction held in place or with a couple dots of glue.

Reconnect the plate and put on the new dial. Center the remaining subdials and main pinions - mark the center of the 6 o’clock subdial. This will show you where you need to cut thru the plate.

Remove the plate again, cut the area needed to adjust subdial wheel.
IxP8h.jpg

Reattach plate again, align dials, mark center. This time you’re marking thru the plate to the movement main plate. This mark will indicate where you need to countersink to allow room for the subdial wheel to lay flat (it’s a 3 dimensional wheel that needs clearance on the back side). Countersink, apply a few small drops of epoxy to both sides of the wheel, reconnect secondary plate, center dial based on other subdials and main pinions, adjust 6 o’clock subdial wheel as needed (act quickly as the timer is ticking on the epoxy - I used epoxy 330), let glue set overnight, attach dial, attach hands, enjoy watch.

Of note, for this particular project, the owner wanted the dial to be attached with dial dots. I used three. You could always opt to solder your feet on to align to the movement. This is how I do it: https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...attach-dial-feet-without-an-expensive-machine
If you chose to try this method, be careful with how much time you apply heat to the dial, depending on the dial there is risk of heat damage.

Again, sorry I don’t have more visuals and I wish I knew the name of that secondary plate that looks like a dial (sort of).

Hope that helps.

Thank you so much! This is really helpful and will save me $$$ of using a modder for just this hehe :D