• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex GMT 6542 - the watch that keeps on giving . . .

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
This has already been posted on RWG. What's good about vintage watches is that no 2 are alike - pick 10 1680 Subs or 10 1675 GMTs, and they'll all look slightly different, and so it is with the 6542 GMT. . . .

Vintage builds aren't easy to get right - creating an authentic look is pretty difficult - I'm never really satisfied with the result - there's always something that could be improved, that I could have done differently.
It not only takes a while to develop techniques, but also to understand what details are important in the build - walking that not-so-fine line between creating something that looks like it spent the last 40 years tied to the shitty end of a goat in the mountains of Afghanistan, and those godawful Phong/Ming mucho $$$$$ NOS assembly jobs that some people take so much delight in.

This watch, like most (all) of what I build is not 1:1, it's not 'gen spec', or waterproof.
I'll never call it a Franken or a Super Franken, and I doubt it would fool an expert if he held it 3 cm, or even 25 cm from his face.
I couldn't give 2 shiny shits about the curve of the F or the R, the internal radius of the serifs, or the length of the hyphen.
I've never repeatedly tapped the clasp to see if it rattles, or compared the noise the non-click bezel ring makes when turned to that of the genuine watch.
I don't know if the date magnification is x 2, x 1.8 or x 2.15.
I have no idea if it runs within COSC standards, and I don't really care - if I want accurate I'll buy a fucking quartz.
I haven't even weighed it to check it against the genuine.
The hand stack is, however, correct.

Most of the parts used come from Vietnam, the rest are from China, with the exception of the crystal and the crown, which come from Switzerland ( R Factory).
It is, IMNSFHO, what a vintage replica build should be about - an assembly of modified, improved and reworked parts, where the whole is greater than the sum of those parts.
Despite all of the alarming facts cited above, using a little imagination, I think it looks believable as a 50 year old vintage Rolex, something that was maybe worn for 20 years or so, then put away in a safe and forgotten about for another 30 years.

It's a representation of a fairly rare 1959 6542 GMT with a glossy gilt dial, gilt hands (with damage from the radium) a white second hand and a 'Bakelite' bezel insert. Rare because this particular dial was only produced by Rolex for 1 year - the 'GMT-MASTER' was printed in red, this then faded over the years to a pale purple/pink color.

pMZVU.png

p0gDe.jpg

p0lkK.jpg

p0FNT.jpg

p0YyA.jpg

p07LQ.jpg

p0qkf.jpg

p0ODX.jpg

p0tgp.jpg

p0a1s.jpg

p0rLh.jpg

p0BsD.jpg

Thanks for looking !

Last edited:

SuperTopGun

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
10/2/15
Hello tripdog Is it possible to know the price of this build? in addition I wanted to know if there is a place to see pictures of your build, in particular 1675?

cben

Renowned Member
5/4/14
Incredible build, the patina on the dial is just awesome!!

Reactions: tripdog

steve3sc

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
30/6/15
Very nice work, Mr.Dog.
Always good to see what someone can create when they are not trying to impress anyone else. Well done, sir.......

And I love your avatar pic, it always makes me think of the movie Drumline for some reason, so it's awesome too.

Limer

Renowned Member
4/5/16
This is what differentiates you from other people who sell vintage builds. While most just assemble parts you create a story. Something that looks and feels like an actual vintage piece instead of a bunch of parts that were put together because of a checklist of "tells".

It's the moment you have a tripdog build piece on your wrist that you realize that the "1:1 gen spec serif font dial" that you paid 4 figures for sucks shit compared to a well built harmonious watch.

Bummer that it's not waterproof though...

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
This is what differentiates you from other people who sell vintage builds. While most just assemble parts you create a story. Something that looks and feels like an actual vintage piece instead of a bunch of parts that were put together because of a checklist of "tells".

It's the moment you have a tripdog build piece on your wrist that you realize that the "1:1 gen spec serif font dial" that you paid 4 figures for sucks shit compared to a well built harmonious watch.

Bummer that it's not waterproof though...

Thanks ! :p

Reactions: cpd2186

J___

M2M Stalker
Patron
Certified
3/7/14
Still need one of those from you bro...beautiful work as always.

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
Soo Digging this Trip. Love the insert work! This watch just looks the part!! IMNSHO The Pink Master is a nice touch...rare indeed. Your next challenge. The Pink MASTER with RED Depth!! Lets shoot for the ultra rare!!

6542Pink_dial.jpeg

Reactions: Mikeodandy

2many2choose

Known Member
17/8/16
Awesome build and beautiful work! You are a true artist tripdogs! Seeing this has made it hard in deciding between a 6542 build or a 1675 build...

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Soo Digging this Trip. Love the insert work! This watch just looks the part!! IMNSHO The Pink Master is a nice touch...rare indeed. Your next challenge. The Pink MASTER with RED Depth!! Lets shoot for the ultra rare!!

6542Pink_dial.jpeg

I've already asked about this dial version, they can't print in 2 colors, only one so text is either all red or all pink.

Reactions: 369mafia

AgentPena

Supporter
28/3/18
South East Asia
Just to let you guys know that Ruby has this watch for sale in her website, with gen 1065 movement, the DW looks impressive. She said it's refurbished DW but looks very accurate. And the price is a steal. It's all. Tropical dial, very nice brown.

the main issue with 6542 reps is the viet bakelite bezel, it's too yellow, font too thick and big give away. The closest and most reasonable price I've seen some guy on the bay clamining he makes his Bakelite inserts, they go on bid once in a while and is quite reasonable, also quite close to gen.

the other thing about viet 6542 dials is that their applied lume is too perfect centred and puffy. Gen 6542 glit dials lumes are flat, and are not perfectly applied. Also the hour markers on the chapter rings is a fraction too thick, on gen is slimmer.

Reactions: electric