• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Daytona Obsession [ultimate edition]: Rolex 727 Movement

TheSociety

Put Some Respect On My Name
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/8/15
CONUS
It's no secret that my love [borderline unhealthy obsession / addiction] to vintage daytonas is well documented on the forums. Here I want to talk about something that, for me, pushes the daytona obsession into an unrealistic and crazy realm - the 727 rolex movement.

Now, most of us started out with cartel or DW, then graduate to a Valjoux 72. I then moved onto a bridge upgrade to Rolex, then eventually couldn't help but wonder: How can I get as close to a Rolex 727 movement as possible. Obviously Rolex's finishing on their movement is even more finessed but let's also not forget a GEN 6263 is about 50k (sigma) to 1.1mil (paul newman)

What you should know is that a Rolex 727 movement comes in 6263 and 6264 / 6265 daytona references. It is built upon an improved V72, the V726. Rolex then, according to literature, "changed the balance and upped the beat from 18,000 bph to 21,600 bph. This modification entails the replacement of 15 parts, screws and clamps. It makes the movement more precise than the older movements." - from "Rolex Daytona, a legend is born"

So, the parts needed are:

1. 5 lines chronograph bridge $500
2. Train bridge $500
3. Movement Plate for 727 $900
4. Balance Bridge $500

178bf2b002fd58ac62c6b1648ca1cc2b.png

Total - $2400 + $100 shipping = $2500 + various other screws clamps etc $$$$$

Things that haven't been accounted for - various clamps jewels and notice all the Rolex 727 has gold colored gears. Most v72 from donor watches will have silver colored gears so you'll need to find those as well.

Phong's cost for conversion (you provide your own movement) = $3650 including parts - Talk about sticker shock!!! Add a v72 movement from the bay and the total cost easily hits $5k for the movement alone! More if you hunt down a 726 (even more rare!)

ac5e86e3e55c541bade3a3a1462bfe81.png

That being said, I am absolutely in love with this movement. You can either hunt down a 726 then convert it or have a master chronograph watchsmith convert it from low beat 18,000 bph to 21,600 bph.

I'll have more pics tomorrow but here is what the movement looks like running. Note how much faster the balance wheel moves over a normal V72. I will do a video comparing my non converted v72 with this movement shortly :)

9020bed4fdbd70fb1225fec626ab6f10.jpg

And completed build!

8fda3d2457ce811f4658b6efe84f5246.jpg

tructure

Supporter
6/1/15
That is insane!
For which build are you going to use this movement

slay

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
28/3/09
The finish is nowhere near up to Rolex standard on this one. Phong has a 'movement master conversion' option for which he charges 5 or 6k PLUS v72 movement. It isn't worth paying that much IMO as you can get a Gen 727 movement for 5 to 6k (I saw one sell recently for roughly 6k). So don't waste your money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: joeyc

TheSociety

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/8/15
CONUS
The finish is nowhere near up to Rolex standard on this one. Phong has a 'movement master conversion' option for which he charges 5 or 6k PLUS v72 movement. It isn't worth paying that much IMO as you can get a Gen 727 movement for 5 to 6k (I saw one sell recently for roughly 6k). So don't waste your money!

I stated that pretty clearly above - obviously it's not a Rolex finish but you cannot expect that. We are limited by the amount of money we are willing to spend. I personally enjoy the 727 conversion enough to make it worth while of course. I agree with you that the 'master conversion' you speak of that Phong offers is too much. I havent seen any gen 727 for sale so I wouldn't know but was told 8k-10k for one that's in good working shape so 6k for a gen 727 is a steal!

slay

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
28/3/09
I stated that pretty clearly above - obviously it's not a Rolex finish but you cannot expect that. We are limited by the amount of money we are willing to spend. I personally enjoy the 727 conversion enough to make it worth while of course. I agree with you that the 'master conversion' you speak of that Phong offers is too much. I havent seen any gen 727 for sale so I wouldn't know but was told 8k-10k for one that's in good working shape so 6k for a gen 727 is a steal!

But you paid 3500 + movement for this conversion, or did I misunderstand that part? I don't think it's worth paying that much for very rough bridges with crooked engraving. For 3500$ you can have a Swiss watchmaker refinish the movement by hand to Rolex standard, and I believe there are even companies specializing in refinishing old movement to make dull movements look stunning.

Look at this guys blog regarding what's possible: https://ashtonwatch.com/

TheSociety

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/8/15
CONUS
That is insane!
For which build are you going to use this movement

Thanks brother. So the build is completed. I'll take pics tomorrow since it's so dark now.

Phong 6263 case
Phong 6263 pushers
Phong hands
MQ Black Paul Newman "RCO" dial
GEN 703 Crown
GEN T21 Crystal
GEN large chronograph hand
GEN coronet on dial
Valjoux 726 converted to Rolex Caliber 727

Small details:
Custom serial number stamped / case signed 6263
Slightly aged (cream) dial and lume

TheSociety

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/8/15
CONUS
But you paid 3500 + movement for this conversion, or did I misunderstand that part? I don't think it's worth paying that much for very rough bridges with crooked engraving. For 3500$ you can have a Swiss watchmaker refinish the movement by hand to Rolex standard, and I believe there are even companies specializing in refinishing old movement to make dull movements look stunning.

Look at this guys blog regarding what's possible: https://ashtonwatch.com/

thats awesome. I wish I had the patience and time for that. Surely it would be worthwhile to refinish a GEN 727.

I actually think the phong parts are pretty amazing considering they fit very well and the movement is running flawless right now after the conversion and full service. I didn't pay the retail price (which is insane, as with everything by Phong) but I do think that the parts are high quality and worth while if daytona is your thing. I'm planning on converting my other V72 as well since I'm only keeping 2 daytonas may as well go crazy.

Maybe eventually I'll find a relatively affordable 727 but it's already reaching insanity so I might just call it good here and focus my 6542 gen movement build.

tructure

Supporter
6/1/15
Thanks brother. So the build is completed. I'll take pics tomorrow since it's so dark now.

Phong 6263 case
Phong 6263 pushers
Phong hands
MQ Black Paul Newman "RCO" dial
GEN 703 Crown
GEN T21 Crystal
GEN large chronograph hand
GEN coronet on dial
Valjoux 726 converted to Rolex Caliber 727

Small details:
Custom serial number stamped / case signed 6263
Slightly aged (cream) dial and lume

You just gave me a boner ;)
Amazing specs!!!
Really looking forward to your pics mate

slay

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
28/3/09
This one was 6500 Euros I believe: http://www.urdelar.se/rolex?product_id=1360

There was also a NOS gen 6263 case on VRM recently, also $6k. Add 1.5k for hands and 5k for a nice dial and you are at 19-20k for an all gen 50k watch.

TheSociety

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/8/15
CONUS
This one was 6500 Euros I believe: http://www.urdelar.se/rolex?product_id=1360

There was also a NOS gen 6263 case on VRM recently, also $6k. Add 1.5k for hands and 5k for a nice dial and you are at 19-20k for an all gen 50k watch.

20k....that's not as bad as I thought but I really love newman dials and the chances of finding that GEN dial for less than 20k dial alone is next to zero. Still, a sigma build with all gen parts for under 20k is a very good price. Like you said it's a 50k watch after all

slay

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
28/3/09
thats awesome. I wish I had the patience and time for that. Surely it would be worthwhile to refinish a GEN 727.

Yeah, my 727 build has been work in progress for a year now ;)

Azel

Renowned Member
Supporter
10/7/14
I admire you, this quest for perfection is amazing. I'm not talking of money, just passion.
Fortunately for my bank account, i'm not a great fan of the Daytona but so much pleasure to read your threads.

JohnnyBe

3/1/16
Amazing build man,looking forward for the pics!

TheSociety

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/8/15
CONUS
I admire you, this quest for perfection is amazing. I'm not talking of money, just passion.
Fortunately for my bank account, i'm not a great fan of the Daytona but so much pleasure to read your threads.

Thanks bro! Here it is!

0fddf5517e43510d0e1aa99d632515e5.jpg

Retina

Certified
18/12/14
Congrats bro ;) looks great as always. I always thank my lucky stars I'm not into newmans as much as subs. These builds cost way more to get right than the regular vintages.

Azel

Renowned Member
Supporter
10/7/14
Congrats bro ;) looks great as always. I always thank my lucky stars I'm not into newmans as much as subs. These builds cost way more to get right than the regular vintages.
Exactly what I said yesterday. I need to stay away from this evil tentations.

TheSociety

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/8/15
CONUS

Haha thanks bro. Yeah it's bad...I guess for me it's always been the Daytona, the big crown, and the 6542. I've been working on a 6542 build and it's the most PITA build you can imagine due to the movement being impossible to source!

TheSociety

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/8/15
CONUS

lol if you're a Daytona guy you're a Daytona guy. No use in fighting it bro! It will get you! [emoji13]

TheSociety

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
3/8/15
CONUS

lol if you're a Daytona guy you're a Daytona guy. No use in fighting it bro! It will get you! [emoji13]