• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Ref 165.024 - a thing of beauty. So build, out of box or homage?

aus_wolfie

Patron
Gold Patron
Certified
13/7/21
Australia
I have had two slightly conflicted opinions expressed to me about the below etsy kit

I've posted on the ebay scam etc topic here on RWI but as many of you guys know all the ropes specifically on vintage seamasters I thought I'd throw it up here too

Etsy reviews on the vendor's other sales look good but who would know. It also looks pricey to my thinking.

I've asked him/her for topside, backside and side case pics but waiting

What do you think?

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/914201999/omega-seamaster-300-vintage-gents-watch

aus_wolfie

Patron
Gold Patron
Certified
13/7/21
Australia

muggs

Known Member
12/9/19
London
You’re on the right track with the auction.

I got a similar case to that one off eBay for about £400. The dial isn’t the best, but it will fit the omega movement. You could also look for one of the homage watches like the helgray sharkmaster and put a rep dial on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aus_wolfie

Patron
Gold Patron
Certified
13/7/21
Australia
@muggs, thanks
Looking for and dropping original dials and handsets into decent rep cases thst hold orig movements or indeed into Helson Sharkmasters (back in production August) is pretty solid

I think at least this thread may provide others with options and save a little research

Here is another case kit, cheaper than etsy guy, same case kit, no etsy mark up:

https://www.classictimeparts.co.uk/...r-300-sports-gents-watch-complete-kit-165-024

Thank you @Alhig72. He pointed me to this guy. They showed me one of their completed SM 300's. It looked very nice.

Well, my saga draws to its close - I pulled the trigger on the old vietnam everything build with orig movement. Pleasant last minute surprise was finding out it also has a gen crystal

Its on the way, I'll post pics when she arrives.

Cheers,

aus_wolfie

Patron
Gold Patron
Certified
13/7/21
Australia
Stubbies sorted as best they could and some extra ageing work done. The 6 and 9 just barely open but luv is blind. Such a lovely shaped case.

... so happy she has arrived

(I'll learn how to take proper watch photos one day)

Reactions: ne05747 and Alhig72

Omage

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/6/22
Stubbies sorted as best they could and some extra ageing work done. The 6 and 9 just barely open but luv is blind. Such a lovely shaped case.

... so happy she has arrived

(I'll learn how to take proper watch photos one day)

She is a beauty. I don't know how much this set you back but I would say the best choice among all those you considered. Wiser than plunking 10 grands on the one on Chrono24, which could also turn out to be a tough resale in my view.
Congrats!

Courious, how does it feel on your wrist compared to the Turtle in your avatar? You talk about small wrists but the turtle has a certain heft too ....

aus_wolfie

Patron
Gold Patron
Certified
13/7/21
Australia
Omage ~ thank you

The shape of the cushion case of my Captain Willard means it sits comfortably with loose draw on the tropical strap

The bigger the watch the more I fine tune strap /bracelet fit. I prefer a loose fit but for eg the serious mass of my old DSSD means of all my watches it has the tightest half link adjusted bracelet

The SM 300 sits high so I am and will wear her with a nato strap drawn snug.

Happy days

Omage

8/6/22
Looks like it was made to sit on your wrist. Time to change your avatar image I would say .-)....

aus_wolfie

Patron
Gold Patron
Certified
13/7/21
Australia
As well as swap out Seiko from my auto footer script to

"yes, it's another vintage SM 300 ..shoot me"

;)

aus_wolfie

Patron
Gold Patron
Certified
13/7/21
Australia
Just thought I should have dropped back in earlier to show a couple of extra flourishes added - legacy stubbies completely eliminated and the closed 6 and 9 opened up

Thank you again @marrickville

Reactions: marrickville

Spoons

Patron
Certified
21/4/19
Just catching up here guys
I had popped over onto your profile
muggs - muggs

@muggs the other day and searched through your thread and saved:

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb

In my favourites for future dial searches.

Assumed your Southampton ex MOD seller might pop up therein with another dial lot again

Please let me know if I misunderstood you and am on the wrong track re auctioneer?

best,
It may be worthwhile to reach out to the bi vintage facebook account to see if he still has seasmaster dials available: bi vintage replica watch parts

You have to scroll down about half way to get to the Omega dials.

His dials look like they could be decent and seem relatively cheap, but I am by no means an expert.

I don't have any personal experience buying from him, so I can't offer a personal recommendation. I believe he used to have an ebay store, but I think it was shutdown.

Best of luck on your hunt!

Reactions: aus_wolfie

paul837

5/11/19
Omegaforums crowd was chasing this seller so probably he's banned from ebay.
Yes, any 165.024's which on etsy cost around USD700 = that's your guy. He sells fake kits for vintage Seamaster 120 too. During his time on ebay he was likely to accept any offers close to USD550
Do you know anything more about these case/hands/dial sets sold on ETSY?
They look overpriced but good and i can't find them available anywhere else on the internet. Would love to know where they are made etc.

Donvitocorleone

29/9/10
If you want a dial with a big triangle 12 o'clock index, options are:
1) "B12" as per your link, based on AETA 2*** cal., ready to wear off-the-shelf,
2) Vietnam, based on Omega 5** cal., ready to wear off-the-shelf.
zHRqKi.jpg

For the dial with an arabic 12 index:
1) "B12" as per your link, based on AETA 2*** cal., ready to wear off-the-shelf,
2) Vietnam, based on Omega 5** cal., ready to wear off-the-shelf,
3) A kit from UK ebay/etsy seller, Parts only you need to find a gen Omega 5** cal.
zHRI1b.jpg
is this 1:1 for Franken project?

Fireferi

Horology Curious
4/7/23
Budapest
Hello,

Any info on the Etsy kit?
I bought the Omega 565 movement for it.
Do you think I should try this Etsy kit?

Hello

F

Fireferi

Horology Curious
4/7/23
Budapest
Hello,

Bi VintageStore also sells Omega seamaster 300 cases. it's just not exposed to face book.
I asked about it. He sent photos and the price is $500.
It looks so good in the photo. There are also nice dials there. You can't get only watch hands from him. Maybe you know a source where omega seamaster 300 hands are sold?

Fireferi

Horology Curious
4/7/23
Budapest
I read all the comments and made the following watches with your help:

Here I replaced the Asian movement with an original ETA 2824-2. Hasten 1 second every 3 weeks. I caught a very good Eta :).

Fireferi

Horology Curious
4/7/23
Budapest
2) A kit from UK ebay/etsy seller, Parts only you need to find a gen Omega 5** cal.
Here, the second hand had to be painted white. So I also changed the lumens in the other hour hands as well.
That's why it differs from the color of the dial.
565 automatic movement. Daily difference plus 1 second.

Reactions: Pinion Minion

Fireferi

Horology Curious
4/7/23
Budapest
3) A kit from UK ebay/etsy seller, Parts only you need to find a gen Omega 6** cal.
Once I got into it, I also made a seamaster 120 from the etsy set. I put it in an Omega hand-wound 601 movement.
Its daily deviation is plus 1 second.

Reactions: Pinion Minion