• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Ref 165.024 - a thing of beauty. So build, out of box or homage?

aus_wolfie

Patron
Gold Patron
Certified
13/7/21
Australia
So what path to follow to try and capture the essence of a vintage Omega Seamaster 300 on the wrist?

Rafflestime has quite a bit to supplement a build but cases rarer than hen's teeth. A build highly improbable.

So a rep? It seems Intime has an offering - that could perhaps be jazzed up...

https://www.intime06.co/omega/7133-...wn-leather-strap-a-2836-free-nylon-strap.html

Anyone heard of B12 Factory?

Or are we left with homage? (or is that a dirty word here on RWI?)

Reactions: arna67

aus_wolfie

Patron
Gold Patron
Certified
13/7/21
Australia

...if homage is not a dirty word then do you think a Helson Sharkmaster 300 catches the presence of a vintage Omega tool watch?

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
The answer to the question is entirely up to you, and will come down largely to how strongly you desire a good 300 replica, and how much you're prepared to spend in the pursuit of one.

I don't think the Helston would catch the presence enough to satisfy me - but then I'm lucky enough to own a very nice Franken 300. (You can see pics of it, and also of that rep you linked, in my Seamasters post - link in my sig.)

Last edited:

k4jun

Ω Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Certified
25/4/15
If you want a dial with a big triangle 12 o'clock index, options are:
1) "B12" as per your link, based on AETA 2*** cal., ready to wear off-the-shelf,
2) Vietnam, based on Omega 5** cal., ready to wear off-the-shelf.
zHRqKi.jpg

For the dial with an arabic 12 index:
1) "B12" as per your link, based on AETA 2*** cal., ready to wear off-the-shelf,
2) Vietnam, based on Omega 5** cal., ready to wear off-the-shelf,
3) A kit from UK ebay/etsy seller, Parts only you need to find a gen Omega 5** cal.
zHRI1b.jpg

Last edited:

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
p0pperini
I had a look at yours and WOW ... though that Semaster 300 is definitely too big for my wrist I must admit I'm jealous :p

aus_wolfie
as P0pperini noted on his thread the TDs one looks nice (B12=Cartel or really close IMHO) but the lugs are sooo thin plus the crown sits much too high on the case so :confused:

k4jun
after reading your post ... and now thinking about building 0 vintage 300 for my own collection despite my chicken wrists ... I searched for that kit you showed
I searched eBay but it doesn(t seem to be available there so I searched on etasy and found an OMEGA SEMASTER 300 SPORTS ... USD704 more or less
the etsy sale lacks some good side pics to check the profile ... mainly lugs thickness and crown height ...
nevertheless I found an blog post named A do-it yoursel Omega Seamaster 300 ... really really interesting !!!
1 - first the case that guy used is, in my opinion, the same case you can get with the esty set and it shows THICK lugs
2 - that case can take a gen omega 565 movement ... which would be correct for a 166.024 ref ... something you can source on eBay for less than USD40 if you have some patience
So I've sent a question to the blog owner and I'll see if he confirms where he sourced his case and starting from this ... I'll decie if I keep thinking about a vntage 300 or not ...

Last edited:
Reactions: p0pperini

freebalkany

24/8/21
p0pperini
I had a look at yours and WOW ... though that Semaster 300 is definitely too big for my wrist I must admit I'm jealous :p

aus_wolfie
as P0pperini noted on his thread the TDs one looks nice (B12=Cartel or really close IMHO) but the lugs are sooo thin plus the crown sits much too high on the case so :confused:

k4jun
after reading your post ... and now thinking about building 0 vintage 300 for my own collection despite my chicken wrists ... I searched for that kit you showed
I searched eBay but it doesn(t seem to be available there so I searched on etasy and found an OMEGA SEMASTER 300 SPORTS ... USD704 more or less
the etsy sale lacks some good side pics to check the profile ... mainly lugs thickness and crown height ...
nevertheless I found an blog post named A do-it yoursel Omega Seamaster 300 ... really really interesting !!!
1 - first the case that guy used is, in my opinion, the same case you can get with the esty set and it shows THICK lugs
2 - that case can take a gen omega 565 movement ... which would be correct for a 166.024 ref ... something you can source on eBay for less than USD40 if you have some patience
So I've sent a question to the blog owner and I'll see if he confirms where he sourced his case and starting from this ... I'll decie if I keep thinking about a vntage 300 or not ...

Hey,
I believe you are referring to this article: https://adventuresinamateurwatchfettling.com/2012/05/24/a-do-it-yourself-seamaster-300/
Regarding the case, I believe it is actually using a gen case produced by omega and sold as a spare on CousinsUK.
I've also been thinking for a while about building a seamaster 120 with an etsy case and 601 gen caliber.
Here is the link: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1176563359/beautiful-omega-seamaster-120m-divers
However I have to say that I find it rather expensive and I'm not sure about the quality.

k4jun

Ω Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Certified
25/4/15
Yes, that is fantasy case, neither looks like CB nor HF nor any of two service cases.
The best thing in b12/cartel is that those watches are rather affordable (when compared to vietnam or UK) and occasionally are in stock of our TD's.

Omegaforums crowd was chasing this seller so probably he's banned from ebay.
Yes, any 165.024's which on etsy cost around USD700 = that's your guy. He sells fake kits for vintage Seamaster 120 too. During his time on ebay he was likely to accept any offers close to USD550

If you mean the blog mentioned by freebalkany yeah that was gen WatchCo, a build make all of gen service parts.

Last edited:

aus_wolfie

Patron
Gold Patron
Certified
13/7/21
Australia
Wow, thanks guys, I'll digest *all your comments over the weekend.

Sincerely, very much appreciated

aus_wolfie

Patron
Gold Patron
Certified
13/7/21
Australia
Well I shall again say thank you for your staggeringly knowledgable comments

@p0pperini a gold mine of information...and you kept both of your Seamasters?

@k4jun I do take it that your ref to Vietnam, based on Omega 5** cal., ready to wear off-the-shelf is to pre-built Yuki watches which appear to have gone the way of the Dodo

Far out you even know about the scammers out there!

@manodeoro my friend, now *finally I know what cartel's are = B12s! I now also "see" the skinny lugs and high crown...will I ever "unsee" them I wonder?

@ freebalkany your post and links have given me some thought in tipping the scale

yes, so, given a homage is just a homage and the rarity of a good case I will buy the TD rep - the T Arabic model

The sum total of my watch modding is so far limited to undoing a Seestern case and removing the dial and handset to join the
@manodeoro
Doxa crowd. Not much experience at all and I still have to reassemble when I receive the Doxa dial and matched lume handset back.

....but I feel a bit cocky now and I might take the TD rep apart and dirty up the lume a bit, age the case a bit, distress a NATO strap and make her look an old used tool watch

....on 2nd thoughts maybe the big triangle T without the date wheel

So final question, is it more likely a newb like me would fcuk up a date wheel allignment pulling out and putting back in a movement?

Is it the safer bet to go the non-date version?

best,

Reactions: Wark

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
If you don't touch the movement (as you should for a dial change) your date will be just fine

k4jun

Ω Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Certified
25/4/15
Thanks Kilowattore, the T Arabic date model it is then :D

The "T dials" are mil-spec, so you should laser weld in the spring bars;)

I have never tried to buy SM300 from Yuki, probably MQ would be my first choice.

Just mind there are at least 2 grades, 2 variations of Vietnam, one like in my previous post (nice layout of a service dial, just vintagized additionaly) and easy to tell dials wit the "stubbies", like here:

aus_wolfie

Patron
Gold Patron
Certified
13/7/21
Australia
@k4jun
ah yes the T, weld in the spring bars or drill and cold press some 2mms in? ( you'd think that I might know what I am talking about but I have NFI other than the knowledge mining here on RWI)

Thanks for clarifying re vietnam case/watch qualities.

and MK - I see he (or she) has a gen up for sale at present

http://vintagewatchesmq.com/minhquy...category_id=76&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Guess that presents the 4th option really - build, out of box, homage or a gen at a gen price

Good on those of us who have and exercise that 4th choice :D

aus_wolfie

Patron
Gold Patron
Certified
13/7/21
Australia

aus_wolfie

Patron
Gold Patron
Certified
13/7/21
Australia
Major lucky development - consequent new question please - I do actually believe I have found a hen's tooth!

if you stumbled upon the opp to buy a Vietnam everything , Omega 552 cal, T, with mil marked caseback, serviced and running well, big triangle, white numbera, no date

But the dial had some of those major tells like closed 6 and 9, little white lines between hour markers and chapter ring

You'd grab it and then keep hunting for a T dial without those tells?

I am very much inclined to but are such dials even more rare than a hen's tooth?

muggs

Known Member
12/9/19
London
There’s a guy selling the circle T dials through an auctioneers based in Southampton. They pop up every now and again along with some Rolex milsub dials. Purportedly they are NOS service dials that were “acquired from a retired MOD watchmaker”. I looked at getting one, but they went for over £3k.

You can find non T gen dials on eBay. There are a few luminova ones on at the moment. Every now and again old tritium ones come up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aus_wolfie

Patron
Gold Patron
Certified
13/7/21
Australia
@muggs thank you very much, so the takeaway is:

1) viet build, rare and expensive but not too expensive

2) the perfect dial, rarer and definitely expensive

OK so at least I am informed on likelihoods, thanks again!

@k4jun I see from rereading your previous insightful commentary I have stumbled upon the 2nd type of viet build with the "stubbies" on the dial and the closed 6 and 9

....but still

Reactions: k4jun

k4jun

Ω Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Certified
25/4/15
There’s a guy selling the circle T dials through an auctioneers based in Southampton. They pop up every now and again along with some Rolex milsub dials. Purportedly they are NOS service dials that were “acquired from a retired MOD watchmaker”. I looked at getting one, but they went for over £3k.

mind sharing a link?

muggs

Known Member
12/9/19
London
I haven’t got a link unfortunately. The last auction was over a year ago and the link no longer works. I saved some pictures in my seamaster 300 thread though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aus_wolfie

Patron
Gold Patron
Certified
13/7/21
Australia
Just catching up here guys
I had popped over onto your profile
muggs - muggs

@muggs the other day and searched through your thread and saved:

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb

In my favourites for future dial searches.

Assumed your Southampton ex MOD seller might pop up therein with another dial lot again

Please let me know if I misunderstood you and am on the wrong track re auctioneer?

best,