• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A touch of patina - Rolex 5513 & Tudor Snowflake 9401

Solution6

Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Gold Patron
Certified
14/8/19
London, UK
Down the rabbit hole I went again :)

The first replica watch that brought me to RWI was a 9411, it didn't have much character so it was a catch & release - but that got me into building my own watches!

I wanted to revisit the idea of a Snowflake, the clean lines of a no date version this time, and why not add a sibling thus ending up with the Submariner brothers :)

Thanks to the great cases offered by Milk the job is quite straight forward but I've still done some work to these as I wanted the matt case look, recessed insert and pressure fitting of the Xtal.

These both run low beat ETA 2783 and a mix of parts, ranging from Ritchies dial on the 5513 and VN on the snowflake. Both cases have been softened and matted and my solution applied to the Xtal not pressure fitting.

josGjD.jpg
josfuY.jpg
josRns.jpg
josN23.jpg
josSIk.jpg
jos0do.jpg
josbxJ.jpg
josJWP.jpg
josVlW.jpg
joscfS.jpg

Last edited:

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Watches look pretty nice! I second the question above :)

Reactions: Solution6

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
These both look really sweet. Bravo sir!

That’s called cyanacrylat :)
Heh. So I'm curious about the reason you use superglue rather than hypo cement. I'm guessing it's for a totally secure fit? And is that because you want/need it watertight? I also ask because superglue has a reputation for gassing off and misting the plexi - and also being physically visible between the plexi and case (whereas hypo is completely clear when it's dry).

Last edited:

Tschacko

Supporter
1/8/18
These both look really sweet. Bravo sir!

Heh. So I'm curious about the reason you use superglue rather than hypo cement. I'm guessing it's for a totally secure fit? And is that because you want/need it watertight? I also ask because superglue has a reputation for gassing off and misting the plexi - and also being physically visible between the plexi and case (whereas hypo is completely clear when it's dry).

Actually I also built two Milk cases, one with Hypocement and the other one with superglue.
Since the Plexis are never a tight fit it’s not gonna be watertight. I will not try it :)
I did not experience any gassing of the superglue.

Solution6

Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Gold Patron
Certified
14/8/19
London, UK
Watches look pretty nice! I second the question above :)

The trick is to thicken the lip of the case. In the absence of a lathe, I went for a simpler solution - polishing tape. It sticks to the case and it adds a layer so the Xtal pressure fits, and there is no bleed of colour when looked at from above.

The pressure fit will not be as per gen but a tiny bit of Hypo is used as a backup. It makes a big difference as you're not relying only on the Hypo.

You can go with a double layer of tape, depending on the Xtal opening which can eliminate the need of Hypo completely.

joNHEI.jpg
joN3r4.jpg
joNh3c.jpg

Last edited:

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
In the absence of a lathe, I went for a simpler solution - polishing tape. It adds a layer so the Xtal pressure fits, and there is no bleed of colour when looked at from above.
That's a neat solution - great job!

I have the milk case (reshaped by trip) lined up for a 1680 build. And this is a tip I'll be making use of on that project, as the Sternkreuz plexi rattles around on the case.

Last edited:

Solution6

Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Gold Patron
Certified
14/8/19
London, UK
That's a neat solution - great job!

I have the milk case (reshaped by trip) lined up for a 1680 build. And this is a tip I'll be making use of on that project, as the Sternkreuz plexi rattles around on the case.

Wow, is this the case that went up for sale after he introduced Milk's new line of cases?

Depending on the insert/bezel assembly you're using, the Sternkreuz XS303.472 might need some shaving. It needed extensive shaving for both my builds using Milk's inserts.

Again the magic polishing tape came in handy as I protected the bottom part the Xtal used for the pressure fitting and only shaved the sides until the insert was free to spin.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Wow, is this the case that went up for sale after he introduced Milk's new line of cases?
Yes it is! I was lucky to spot it as soon as trip posted his review, and snapped it up.

Depending on the insert/bezel assembly you're using, the Sternkreuz XS303.472 might need some shaving.
I think that reference is for a domed plexi. The cyclops top hat plexi I've got lined up is the XS303.430. And yes, I think shaving will be needed on this one too. Again, good tip on protecting the lower section of the plexi. Although I'm not sure yet if the retaining ring will go over it without a little plexi shaving first. I might need to sacrifice a plexi to test the fit - it's hard to know if it's just tight enough or too tight until you end up with pressure crazing up the sides of the plexi! It's lucky that Sternkreuz are nice and cheap, and I buy them about 4 at a time. :)

Danster

Known Member
11/8/18
Both watches look amazing, but the colour of that Tudor is gorgeous...the colour and fade on the bezel insert is something else! Top work! I want one...