• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tropical 6542 project

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Tonight I'm sharing with you another meaningful project to me, and again it's a double project.
This time though none of the watches was for me :(

I was approached by a very kind guy who wanted me to build two of the same watch, one for him and one for his brother living abroad.
The thought of two brothers separated by the sea but sharing the same watch sounded very romantic to me so I was very happy when I realized
the time was just right so they could source the now difficult to find "tswatch" 6542 donor watch and at the same time two beautiful ture gilt tropical dials were available.
It has been discussed already, but it's probably worth to mention how these case sets were compatible with gen parts while being priced about a half what Phong charges for a vietnam case. Of course there are a few let downs, the main being long lugs and fat bezel, but all in all this case was a great base for a 6542 build on a reasonable budget and I think this is showed here.

Here is how they look:

And 2

I tried to age both watches in a similar fashion, both bezel were brassed and inserts repainted, both hands set were relumed to match dials and so on but what's cool with hand refinishing is no two watches are the same. So, which one do you like best, the one on strap or the one on bracelet?

Hugop

I'm Pretty Popular
13/4/09
Beautiful work Kilo! I am all about the dial and date wheel on #1. The color variation in the plexi insert is fantastic!

easy_beaching

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
2/7/20
Right by da beach, USA
The hand aging is fantastic on both. Wonderful job all around. The bakelite bezel is the real eye catcher for these and I think the one on the strap has a phenomenal aged look to it.

Tschacko

Supporter
1/8/18
Great work A. I like both but the steel bracelet always somehow catches me.
I know that at some point I will ask you to build one for me as you are the master of aging.

Lillopistillo

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/10/19
Italia
As usual an incredible job. The choice is always very difficult ... I would opt for the first. I already know that sooner or later Kilowattore will have to make me one!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Hector-Anabasi

Known Member
26/3/18
Oslo - Norway
Tonight I'm sharing with you another meaningful project to me, and again it's a double project.
This time though none of the watches was for me :(

I was approached by a very kind guy who wanted me to build two of the same watch, one for him and one for his brother living abroad.
The thought of two brothers separated by the sea but sharing the same watch sounded very romantic to me so I was very happy when I realized
the time was just right so they could source the now difficult to find "tswatch" 6542 donor watch and at the same time two beautiful ture gilt tropical dials were available.
It has been discussed already, but it's probably worth to mention how these case sets were compatible with gen parts while being priced about a half what Phong charges for a vietnam case. Of course there are a few let downs, the main being long lugs and fat bezel, but all in all this case was a great base for a 6542 build on a reasonable budget and I think this is showed here.

Here is how they look:

And 2

I tried to age both watches in a similar fashion, both bezel were brassed and inserts repainted, both hands set were relumed to match dials and so on but what's cool with hand refinishing is no two watches are the same. So, which one do you like best, the one on strap or the one on bracelet?

The one with leather strap would definitely be my choice.
Great job, Kilo!

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

Watchnerd69

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
31/8/21
Nice Build :)

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk