• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Vacheron Constantin Overseas 4500V BP vs the others

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
Let's talk about the gen watch. The Overseas 4500V was announced at SIHH 2016 as another generation of their previous Overseas models. This seemed to be a response because VC had the least popular 'luxury sports watch' of the 'holy trinity' - falling behind the Patek Philippe Nautilus and the Royal Oak from Audemars Piguet. This is the only watch of the 3 that was not designed by Gerald Genta in the late 70s, which some people mistake. They updated the bezel to have a six-pointed cross instead of the 8 it had in the previous model to make it look more modernized.

image.scale.520.850.1494865468239.png

Vacheron-Constantin-Overseas-Automatic-1.jpg

The case measures 41mm and 11mm thick, beating at 28800bph, and the BP rep measures out at 41mm wide and 11.75mm thick - so pretty close - and sporting the Miyota 9015 with a decoration plate on top.

But before I dive into the BP version, let's look at the versions I've had throughout time for kicks and giggles:

1. MW Factory - first to the gate as far as I can tell. They released a decent model but it had the Miyota 8215 series movement with the low-beat movement @ 21600bph. That was a deal killer for me. The case measured 41mm and was 12.5mm thick. I ordered this version on accident. The bracelet (although not gen-like) and dial are beautiful, but the date font is meh. This version also had spelling errors and wrong model numbers on the O ring that held the back crystal on. "VACHEROM" was one of them...

Z8LLNj.jpg

2. MW Factory v2 - This is virtually the same model as far as I could tell when it came to the dimensions, dial, hands, etc - the only change was the movement to the high beat Miyota 9015. I really enjoyed this watch but the date font plagued me. I sold it on M2M. I miss the bracelet though. This also had the spelling error on the back crystal ring "VACHEROM".

Z8LAt1.jpg

3. MP Factory - Some time had passed, many of us who wanted this (admittedly a small audience at the time) thought none of the factories would re-visit this. However, I had personally asked Angus to ask some factories to produce a quality rep and about 4 months later this version popped up. The case was a bit smaller, but the diameter was still 41mm. The movement decoration was updated, the lume and hour markers were all updated. The Date font was updated too, but it was not gen-like. They updated almost everything with this case - the case is smaller from top to bottom, it's a bit slimmer and the bracelet got a major overhaul. It's been updated to be more gen-like but the polished sections are smaller so the shine is less. That is what the gen is like too, but I really grew to love that extra bit of polishing. I ordered it immediately though because I thought this was going to be as good as it got.

Z8LU1I.jpg

Z8L5H4.jpg

Z8A0Sk.jpg

4. BP Factory - I was checking all the TDs randomly and saw this pop up and thought to myself 'oh just another re-listing of the MP version'. But then... the date font... oh my the date font. It matches the gen almost exactly. BP is known to having more attention to detail than MP factory so boy was I excited. I immediately placed an order and here we are! I would call this the 'ultimate rep' of what's out so far.

Case dimensions: 41mm x 11.75mm
Movement: Miyota 9015 with deco plate

Major differences from gen:
- The dial is a sunburst on the 'enhanced' photos from VC, but all of the real life pics show the dial has a more subtle deep blue and just a smidgen of a sunburst. I personally feel the rep dial has more of a pronounced sunburst than the gen, but I took pics of both shady and sunlight so you can see the difference.
- The bracelet looks like it has quick release, but I haven't been able to duplicate it with ease (and I don't want to try too hard)
- The ring within the dial that is 'polished by diamonds' to capture light in the most beautiful way. I am betting the rep factory didn't duplicate this and I've heard it's difficult to capture on a camera how the dial catches light.

Z8AVEP.jpg

Z8AJrJ.jpg

Z8ASPD.jpg

Z8LK0K.jpg

Z8LZ4Q.jpg

Z8LDyS.jpg

Z8AGmY.jpg

Z8LHP8.jpg

Z8LjgL.jpg

Z8AgHW.jpg

Z8Axeo.jpg

This is a fantastic rep that I hope breathes life into bring Vacheron back on the map for the rep companies. I give this rep a 9/10 for me.

Here it is comparing to some other popular case sizes:

Z8L2ev.jpg

And I was lucky enough to acquire a genuine dial. Legend installed it for me, and it was NOT an easy project as the dial had to be thinned. I don't recommend taking on a VC franken build for the faint of heart.

The build is as follows: BP Overseas watch, case thinned, movement serviced, gen dial installed, prof 2xAR.

Z99GrX.jpg

N3UI5.jpg

TsKmo.jpg

Ts3ck.jpg

Tsz4D.jpg

TsjyY.jpg

TsZ3s.jpg

TMgE3.jpg

TMcrn.jpg

TMVLE.jpg

Compared to the XF ultra-thin overseas:
NhNvQ.jpg

NhslJ.jpg

NhwJk.jpg

Last edited:

rcom440

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/11/12
USA
The biggest tell in my opinion is DW.

BP is definitely way to go - VC cross logo look good but it still needs a little refinement, it needs to be slightly thinner but it's really hard to notice.

I'm waiting for JJF on the bracelet. The I will probably get BP 4500V.

murdoc2708

MULTI ACCOUNT
11/11/16
Great Post!

Is the BP Version available in another dial color and a rubber strap?

Gesendet von iPhone mit RWI

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
Great Post!

Is the BP Version available in another dial color and a rubber strap?

Gesendet von iPhone mit RWI
No rubber strap for the 2016 version yet, but there are 3 dials from BP - white and brown. There are vids on Trustytime. $350 is the price!

The Tourist

27/3/14
Ordered my BP 4500V (Blue) recently according to your suggestions from another thread!

Many thanks @majwilliams0308 for your help and this awesome post!

klockjohan

El Patron
5/12/15
EU
Absolutely stunning! I am deciding between this BP and JJF.

I really like the old style a bit more and JJF are close enough IMO.
But BP really nailed the 4500.

stoyania

15/4/16
on the BP version -- what color is the sweeping hand? seems like in a coupe pics above is silver and in a couple pics black...

rcom440

10/11/12
USA
I will probably go for BP Overseas 4500 because I can't justify spending $460 for JJF Overseas on the bracelet.
I could get RD Kings of the round table with segul movemet for $500 so in my opinion spending $460 for JJF Overseas with miyota doesn't make sense.

I guess nobody bought BP Overseas with white or brown dial?

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
on the BP version -- what color is the sweeping hand? seems like in a coupe pics above is silver and in a couple pics black...
It's silver just like the hands. Must have been the lighting

the fast belt change system works great, but can you buy leather or rubber straps at a non-expensive price?
Not yet, I haven't seen any reps. I would love the rubber strap - it would completely change this watch into something even more amazing!

I have one with white dial on order (thanks to this great thread from majwilliams0308). Will gladly post a review and some pics once I get hold of it.
Awesome! Just add the pics to this thread! That would be very helpful

CBJones

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/4/17
I just picked up an Overseas in white. It is the version with incorrect DW font however. When I placed my order I wasn't aware of the DW issue.
View attachment 81298

rcom440

10/11/12
USA
I just picked up an Overseas in white. It is the version with incorrect DW font however. When I placed my order I wasn't aware of the DW issue.
View attachment 81298

What exact date issue... you mean it sits a little low the the date window?
This is BP so it should be centered correctly...

CBJones

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/4/17
The actual font is wrong on mine, the BP font is correct. If you look at the "1" it is different than the Gen. Very small nit picky issue

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16

This white version is the MP factory - the main tell is the date font. It is large and the font is different. The gen is just like the BP version in the OP.

Sent from the RWI mobile app