• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Polishing a Rolex Stainless Steel watch.

miscusi

10/10/20
NYC
Chinese New Year is coming, so hopefully TD Trusty gets my packages out before the big off season.. So What to do while we wait? How about polishing?

I'm not rich so I do my own polishing, by hand. It is not professional level quality but to me, as long as its better than before the polishing, I'm happy. :D

My Supplies:

Sandpapers 800, 1000, 2000, 3000
Scotch Brite Pad
Some kind of Tape, Masking, Medical etc
a Table
Paper Towels
Green Rouge
old cotton T shirt
Credit Card / Gift Card

Polished surfaces: If no big scratches, I just buff with the cotton shirt with rouge on it.

Polished surfaces: If there are some scratches or if converting brushed to polished, I start off with some 800 grit and lightly sand, then 1000, then 2000, then 3000, then wet sand 3000, followed by the cotton shirt with rouge.

Brushed surfaces: I rub scotch brite on it, in the same direction, making sure to follow through, If there are scratches that brushing dont help, I do the sandpaper to smooth things out, then brush.

Sides of Case: I used some 2000, 3000 and the Cotton / Rouge.

Top of Lugs: It was brushed, I decided to make it Polished. I fold the sandpaper over once for stiffness and sanded it down. I used the actual edge or scissor cut edge of the sandpaper where the bezel meets the lugs, so I dont disturb the bezel.

Polished Center Links: after taping off the brushed areas, I buff with the cotton/rouge cloth over my finger. To get in between the links, I cut the credit card to match the space, like an Ace of Spades Spade shape, wrapped the cotton cloth over that, and applied some rouge to the cloth, and did it side to side.

Brushed outer links: Bracelet: after taping off the polished areas, I swipe the scotch brite pad over it in one direction, and follow through, then I bend the links to get the sides brushed too.

Crown: just buffed with the cotton / rogue

Dented side of link: I put the sandpaper on the very flat table, and held the link up, rubbed away the dent, then proceeded to do the polished surface method.

Clasp: I laid the scotch brite pad on the table, and just glided the clasp across it.

Fluted Bezel: Using that same spade shape credit card cutout, I used the tip and rubbed the bezel.

If you have gloves, wear gloves, because there is cancer in the state of California.

I then washed the pieces with soap and water, dried and assembled. :) thanks for looking and again, not professional results, but an improvement I am willing to live with to save the money.
ZrQlZW.jpg

ZrQpqS.jpg

ZrQCXQ.jpg
ZrQXUR.jpg
ZrQPxL.jpg
ZrQkfK.jpg

Last edited:

Star70

Renowned Member
Certified
19/1/20
Thanks for that detailed tutorial,glad you didn’t forget to mention the table in your supplies ????

Reactions: miscusi

FeddiG

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
7/6/22
Thanks for the detailed instructions, quite useful! What about the drying phase?Do you have any specific advise?