• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How to: relume a sandwich dial (and make it glow like a torch)

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
How to: relume a sandwich dial (and make it glow like a torch) [Updated]

logo.jpg

Today a little something about the basic of reluming: the sandwich dial, and a few tips to make it glow brigther. This is the perfect job
if you're begining, because you can't really screw up :)

A sandwich dial is a two-plate dial, the first plate being coated with luminous material and the second plate pierced through for the indexes
and numerals. So the first step is to separate out these 2 plates using a sharp blade.

Please be carefull never to manipulate a dial with your naked fingers.

P1040039-1.jpg

Store the top place in a safe place and fix the back plate on a stand. Here is mine it's, flat, made out of plastic, and there are 2 holes for
the dial's feet. The dial needs to stay perfectly flat so it doesn't bend.

P1040044-1.jpg

It's now time to remove the old lume and the glue from the backplate. The best thing would have been a sandblaster, but as I don't own one,
the next best thing is a ss brush on a dremel :)

P1030992.jpg

The plate might heat when using the ss brush. If it starts heating too much, just stop and wait untill it's cool again.

P1030994.jpg

Bench grinder with circular ss brush to make the finish uniform.

P1030996.jpg

Now a quick polishing to be sure the finish really is uniform.

P1030999.jpg

P1040001.jpg

Polished back plate.

P1040003.jpg

Now the thing is that we can't leave the plate polished because we'll paint it, and there is a chance the paint won't hold on a polished surface.

So again we need to take it under the ss brush.

P1040004.jpg

P1040006.jpg

Now that the plate is clean, we need to apply glossy white paint. This coating will allow the light from the lume to reflect,
and give the impression that it glows brigther.

Here is my homemade painting stand. A piece of sponge, 2 wood sticks, and rodico :)

P1040007.jpg

P1040008.jpg

Painting the dial with an airbrush.

P1040009.jpg

You'll need 2 layers at least. Allow 30-40 minutes between each layer.

P1040010.jpg

It's important to keep the plate horizontal while the paint dries.

P1040011.jpg

Painting done.

P1040012.jpg

And now, the lume!

As always, I'll use w@tchlume pigments. 50% Gmax, 50% WG for the first layer, pure GMax for the second.

P1040024.jpg

P1040027.jpg

Now let the lume dry half way and glue the plates back together. Complete drying may take up to 24 hours depending on your binder.

P1040033.jpg

Job done!

P1040034.jpg

P1040036.jpg

Comparison: Relumed dial with spray painted back plate on the left, relumed dial with regular ss plate on the left.

P1040047-1.jpg

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
Thanks man, I m so proud of you.

Yes Wiz is right, whether you get a bright mixture is very much dependant on the backplate color, I use a floresence white on my relumes to get a bright mix.

This is a formula that lumer will not want to share!

On a side note, I am glad that you like watchlume product!

One more thing, it will be better if you let the lume dry fully before you glue it back as the lume will look better and not spill out of the indices.

Timeband

Renowned Member
9/3/10
I didn't expected that it makes that big difference to paint the underground of the lume.
Very helpful tutorial, and also a great documentation.
Thank you for sharing.
Greetz
Uwe

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
I didn't expected that it makes that big difference to paint the underground of the lume.
Very helpful tutorial, and also a great documentation.
Thank you for sharing.
Greetz
Uwe

Of course you also need to consider that it's not the same lume color on both dials. The one on the left is more light green and the eye is more responsive to light colors.

audace

I'm Pretty Popular
10/2/11
Great! Now i need to get some basic tools... Anyone have any ideas?

Timefelix

Looking Around
16/5/12
Awesome result. Great tips for the back plate preparation and the airbrush painting.

countit

22/5/10
The real trick I'm curious about is luming the hands in a way that they match the intensity and brightness of the dial.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.