• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

[How to] Crystal sealing and waterproofing

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
logo.jpg

I had a little free time today so I decided to do a pictorial on how to properly seal and waterproof a watch crystal.

When you put a rep in a watertester, the first leak will often come from the crystal sealing.
Some may say that a watch is not designed to keep air inside but to keep water out, and they are right, but if you take any gen watch and put it in the same watertester, you won't see any leak around the crystal.

Why? Well, of course the building of these watches is often better, but another reason is that the crystals are properly sealed and pressed on gen watches.
And now the practical part :)

- What you'll need:

Crystal press
Nylon dies
UV Adhesive
UV lamp
Cement Hypo GS
Probe
Finger gloves
Dust blower
Microfiber cloth

P1010380.jpg

- Removing the crystal:

First, you'll need to take the crystal out. Rep crystals are usually poorly pressed, so you'll probably be able to pop it out using only your fingers, but it's better to use a crystal press because it reduces the risk of damaging the edges of the crystal.

Pick dies of the correct sizes for you watch. The side of the dies have to be quite close to the side of the crystal (1mm or less). For a 44mm panerai, 42/33 will usually fit.

P1010358.jpg

P1010365.jpg

P1010363.jpg

Press gently but firmly, and the crystal should pop out. If it doesn't, like it may happend with a gen, make sure the crystal is not locked by a ring, and if it's not, you'll probably have to use a stongest press.

P1010366.jpg

P1010367.jpg

- Removing a pressed bezel:

Some watches have a pressed bezel, like the 44mm panerai. Out of the factory, this bezel is not sealed, just pressed, and the waterproofness is maintained by a rubber gasket.

On the watch I'm using for this tutorial, it already has been sealed, so I won't try to take it off because I could damage the watch in the process, but below you'll see a pic of what it should look like once removed.

P1010387.jpg

To remove it, simply use the press like you would do it for a crystal, but if you can it's better to use metal dies instead of nylon dies (nylon dies may break).

To seal the bezel, apply silicone grease on the rubber gasket and Hypo cement on the case, before pressing the bezel back using the crysal press (be careful to place the bezel straight before pressing).

- Cleaning:

Start with removing the crystal gasket. It's usually a poor quality white hard plastic ring. Unfortunately you usually can't replace it on a rep, because you'll have a really hard time finding a better one that will perfectly fit.

P1010370.jpg

Once this gasket is out, clean all the parts, preferably with an ultra sound cleaner, but if you don't have one, a microfiber cloth, a brush and a dust blower will do the trick.

P1010371.jpg

Once everything is cleaned, put the crystal gasket back in place, and be carefull not to touch the inside of the watch or the gasket with your naked fingers.

P1010372.jpg

- Sealing:

You can find lots of crystal sealants on the internet, but most of them have a huge downside: they intend to lose their sealing property with heat, which can be quite a problem during summer... The only ones that won't "fuze" under summer sun are the UV adhesives. I use the Minefix from Beco, mostly because I like the applicator.

Another good thing about this sealant is that it will only set with UV light, so you can continue to work on the watch even hours after you've applied the adhesive.

You don't need to use a lot of it, just a tiny bit, that you'll apply betwen the gasket and the top of the bezel (or the case if your watch doesn't have a bezel).

P1010373.jpg

Once the UV adhesive is applied, take the crystal with your finger gloves and put it carefully on the top of the watch. Don't try to press, just set it as straight as possible. If the crystal is slanted when you press it back, the sealing won't be good (you can even break thin sapphires!).

P1010374.jpg

Then press the crystal back. Again, press gently but firmly, and when you feel that the crystal is back in place, press a little harder (not too hard or you may break your dies).

P1010375.jpg

Clean carefully the excess of UV adhesive (which won't be a problem since it doesn't set without UV light).

P1010376.jpg

Put the watch under your UV lamp for 5 cycles on each side (each cycle is 2 minutes).

P1010377.jpg

- Finishing:

Now the crystal is properly sealed and should be waterproofed, but to reinforce the waterproofness, we'll apply a layer of Hypo cement around the crystal. Blurs are not really a problem as you'll be cleaning later.

P1010381.jpg

Let it set for about 2 minutes and then remove the excess of glue using a wood stick.

P1010382.jpg

No let the cement set completly. For this one, it will be 24 hours.

P1010383.jpg

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Ok that is cooooooool!!!I have one pam too but i dont think i can ever manage to do that hehehe...Good job!!!

Reactions: abracadabra

Perpetual_One

Supporter
Certified
8/4/10
UK
great tutorial thanks. doubt id have the guts to try it to one of my watches tho!

Klockis

Renowned Member
5/5/10
Fantastic write up!
A big thanks for taking Your time to write and document this!

I'm sure it will come in real handy for those who dare attempt these things.. :)

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Nice write-up and cool office.

DenfromNM

Known Member
21/4/10
Like others have said great tutorial, but I would not dare do this myself. I'd have a seasoned veteran do this for me. Thanks for the great info anyway.

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
Thank you all, actually it's not that of a big deal :)

TheLoveOfBotham

28/9/09
This is almost exactly the tutorial I was looking for just yesterday!

Thanks for doing this; a great post indeed.

polaris

27/11/08
thanks for the tutorial. Encouraged me to purchase a crystal press.

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
I've done quite a few subs already and it's basically the same.

SMIDSY

Put Some Respect On My Name
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/9/09
wiz would you be willing do do this for me?

mroz

13/10/09
Awesome.

Wonder how long before I try it out.......

:runs to find supplies:

jrodshibuya

I'm Pretty Popular
11/2/11
I am determined to learn how to do this. I've got a couple of beaters that I'll use as test cases. Do I definitely need to get the crystal press? I live in Japan, so procuring some of these items is more difficult/expensive than US/Europe. Also the UV glue is desirable, but not essential is that right? i.e. hypo glue should be ok?