• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

WatchDude's PAM CG Pin Mod

WatchDude13

Renowned Member
3/11/06
Allllllllriiiiiighty then.

I started off with an amazing watch from my friend - Mr. Davidsen. A BEAUTIFUL 112 that I dreamt about and wanted for oh so long. FINALLY, I pulled the trigger and she made her way, half way across the world, to my door. You don't know the excitement I felt. This specimen was flawless and I couldn't be happier...... except..... the damn CG pin. UGH!

P1060085.jpg

So I decided to mod it (NOTICE, mod was completed before I took pictures for tutorial - so use a little imagination and work with me here!).

1. Take off CG
DSC06376.jpg

2. Push pin up from bottom so it protrudes through the top of the CG my literally a hair, just so your fingernail catches it when you drag it across the top of it. Use the pointy part of a springbar tool or a small (very small) screwdriver. If you push it up too far, turn over and push it back a hair using a flat surface.
DSC06377.jpg

A bit too much here, but you get the idea on how much to push it up:
DSC06378.jpg

3. File down using a disposable finger nail file. Purple is the preference (LMAO!). It should be flush. Best way to do it is put file on flat surface, turn CG over and stroke back and forth (I know what you are thinking…. you dirty dog!). I actually placed the file against a perpendicular object (put it on my work bench and held a block up to the edge of it), so the brushing/scratches ran the correct way.
DSC06379.jpg

Result is:
P1060089.jpg

Better already, huh?
CGMod.jpg

4. After flush, push the pin from the bottom so it falls out.
5. Using a Sunshine cloth, hold pin tip against taught Sunshine cloth and get end polished to a mirror finish.
(Yep, my hands are bone dry and I need lotion. BACK OFF!)
DSC06380.jpg

6. Use synthetic steel wool or Scothbrite on CG to get proper brushed look. Again, I put it up against a perpendicular surface so ‘brushing’ was perfectly straight and not ‘messy’.
(You can use a bigger piece than this):
DSC06381.jpg

7. Push pin back down from the top through the CG and lever until it is almost flush. Turn over and finish pushing til flush against a flat surface.
DSC06382.jpg

8. Put CG back on.
9. Enjoy your PERFECT CG PIN MOD!
P1060271.jpg

CGPolishedClose.jpg

P1060247.jpg

babola

I'm Pretty Popular
19/9/06
The fit and finish would made gen Paneristi pee their paints :) you know the sort...those that refer to our reps as 'fugazi' 8)

Great result mate, I'm glad I'm not the only one here that gets off on these 'little' details... :wink:

babola

TA8088

SCAMMER
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
INMATE
28/10/07
Nice how to writeup. Think I may give this a try.

miccau

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/8/09
Good post is never too late to reply, thanks for your very useful mod tutorial i happen to have the same issue, now problem solve~!

D

d4m.test

horologie_unitas said:
very good.

i used to hit the middle of the pin with the small tip of the hammer.

I bought a 7753 based 188 a couple years ago... my grail that I was dumb enough to let go.
Did the hot glue mod and then used a punch to push the pin back in. Left a really nice little dot in the center of it.
Never thought to do this and make it nice and pretty again!

moscheeno

Known Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
29/5/09
what defect was this actually fixing?

Sorry im not really experenced with Pam's, but i am looking to branch out.

Thanks

miccau

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/8/09
moscheeno said:
what defect was this actually fixing?

Sorry im not really experenced with Pam's, but i am looking to branch out.

Thanks

The CG pin comes shinny, like mine one, and the CG is polish so doing such mod will not only makes it look better meanwhile also more gen liked. 8)

omegagmt

I'm Pretty Popular
6/9/10
I know this is an oldie, but I am going to attempt this. I'll post some before and after pics when I'm done.

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
I don't own one yet, but I sure did enjoy the write up. One of these days, I'll pick up one of these ugly beasts, every day gets me a little bit closer...