• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Pictorial - PAM Lever DIY Mod. Easy to do, superior results!

Swatchman

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/12/06
This mod is extremely simple, effective and very durable:

I read about different methods of modding the PAM lever
in order to make it nice and tight. There are two techniques
around. One requires cable insulation to fill the gap between
pin and lever, another one employs silicone for the same
purpose. The more sophisticated solution is the cable
insulation, the quick fix is the silicone variant.

I did not have cable in the right diameter and I was not to
crazy about the silicone option either. So while agreeing
on the general principle of filling the space around the pin
to tightn it, I did not like the means. So based on the
general idea of the existing techniques I thought about
alternatives that

• do not require materials with a certain diameter[/*:m:3qnxjdlo]
  • require as little fumbling around witht the lever pin
    as possible in order to keep it from disappearing in the
    carped or some other place that small things disappear to[/*:m:3qnxjdlo]
  • don't require any wait (like the silicone overnight option)
    cutting down on time in which screw an pin can get lost[/*:m:3qnxjdlo]
  • is very easy to apply and does not require special skills[/*:m:3qnxjdlo]
  • can easyly renewed after wear and tear has loosened the lever again[/*:m:3qnxjdlo]

I think I came up with a perfect solution. It is based on
hot glue adhesive, which is readily available in most households.

Tools required:

• a pistol for hot glue adhesive[/*:m:3qnxjdlo]
  • a screw driver to loosen the crown screws[/*:m:3qnxjdlo]
  • a pin removal tool or small drill[/*:m:3qnxjdlo]
  • a small hammer[/*:m:3qnxjdlo]

01m.jpg

Step one:
Fire up the glue pistol.

Step two:
Detach crownguard from your pam and safely store the screws away.
02m.jpg

Step three:
Put the crownguard bottom up on a piece of soft wood. Use the pin removal tool or small drill
to dislodge the pin from the crownguard. Be careful not to loose it once you pushed it out.
03m.jpg

The result should look like this.
04m.jpg

Step four:
Place the lever on a table. The hole for the pin needs to be vertical. Then place the tip of the glue pistol
on top of the lever without squeezing out any glue. Now the lever is slowly heated up by the glue pistol.
5m.jpg

Step five:
Once the lever is really hot apply glue to the pin hole in the lever until it comes
out on the opposite side of the lever. Then let the lever cool for 5 minutes.
6m.jpg

Step six:
Remove excess glue, your fingernails should do the trick.

Step seven
Place the lever back in the crown guard and reinsert the pin just a tiny bit (1mm).
8m.jpg

Step eight:
Put the glue pistol on top of the pin and wait until it picks up the heat. After a while, it will
just sink into the crownguard until it is all the way through the lever.
9m.jpg

Stop pushing when the pin is still sticking out 2mm.
10m.jpg

Step nine (optional):
If you want the pin to sit flush with the surface of the crownguard, now is a
good moment to file or sand the top of the pin to a smooth flat finish.
11m.jpg

Flat surface after filing and sanding.
12m.jpg

Step ten:
Place the tip of the glue pistol over the pin and heat up both pin and crownguard.
This takes a couple of minutes.
13m.jpg

Step eleven:
Gently push the pin down. If you want it to sit flush with the surface a hard piece of wood will do.
If the pin is supposed to be sunken, the pin removal tool or small drill will do.
14m.jpg

Step twelve:
Remove excess glue with your fingernails or with some solvent.
15mm.jpg

16m.jpg

Step thirteen:
Re-attach the crownguard to the watch and enjoy the great new experience of opening and closing a tight lever.

And now the best thing for last.
Should the lever ever become loose again after (the glue will definitely outlast any silicone),
just use the glue gun again to reheat the lever. You don't even need to disassemble the crownguard
this time around. Just press the pistol on the crownguard for 2 minutes. The glue will melt again
and settle tightly around the pin. Once it has cooled off, you're good to go for another couple of months.
You can repeat this indefinitely, one application should last the lifetime of the watch.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Thanks a lot for your tutorials. This should do the trick I guess :)

crunch

4/10/07
Great pictorial!! I have read about the hot glue solution, but have alwasy wondered how it was done.

This is great! :mrgreen:

brtelec

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
Wow swatchman that was a great tutorial, I will give that a try when I get home. thanks for your time and effort.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Nice job I enjoyed reading...now I can't wait for my lever to get loose. :D

watchbuff

I'm Pretty Popular
13/2/07
So it's my understanding that when the lever is out it should not be loose? My DSN closes tightly, and is seated perfectly.

Swatchman

27/12/06
watchbuff said:
So it's my understanding that when the lever is out it should not be loose? My DSN closes tightly, and is seated perfectly.

Most levers are floppy when opened. Tolerances are too big, so it feels loose. The gen
lever is nice and tight. Once they are closed they are more or less the same. But when
the lever is opened you feel the difference in quality right away...

cdubs

18/12/07
Great write up I will definetly try this in the future

opustitevkajenja

Known Member
17/3/08
Haha, I have scoured this forum and RWG for any tutorials on floppy levers, and finally resorted to putting a bit of double-sided duct tape on the open lever and then closing it.. lasts about two to three weeks. If only I had found this sooner :roll:

chuddism

Supporter
11/3/08
This is an awesome and simple Mod. I tried this and got good results even with my crap glue gun.

Thanks again for the tutorial.

mattgold

20/3/08
Worked 100% to help tighten up the lever on my 240.

Has a little bit of issue 'aiming' the pin thru the lower part of the CG... but a couple minutes of work and I had a perfect lever.

:)

-M

Exploder

I'm Pretty Popular
23/3/08
I just HAVE to bump this tutorial - It is simply amazing! I am so tired of my floppy levers - a dead give away. Anybody looking at the watch, even if they have never heard of Panerai before, flip the lever up and ask how it is possible that such an expensive watch has such a crappy detail as a floppy lever. The glue gun trick takes care of that. Simple and without any risk of ruining anything. A million thanks for this tutorial!

Xplodr

peterpan

Looking Around
30/7/08
i saw this mod, and figured this would be great for fixing my recessed cg pin and floppy lever. i actually followed the mod to get the lever and pin out. but then i figured that a little tap on the cg might tighten up the lever. i few taps with a hammer made for a nice tight fit. then resetting the cg pin without pushing it all the way in fixed the recessed pin issue. now i've got a tight lever, and a flush cg pin. just have to do a re-lume now. thanks for the PAM lever DIY tutorial

MartyUtah

Horology Curious
21/1/08
A most excellent tutorial. I'd like to bump this since I've used this trick on both my PAM reps and now wear them proudly without a loose flapping lever digging into my hand. A million thanks

COLDI

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
23/9/08
I dont have a pin pusher. Can I use anything else to get the pin out?