• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Tudor Black Bay GMT - comparison image heavy

K.o.o.l.

Horology Curious
6/1/19
Hi Guys,

am new here.

I have just received my Tudor Black Bay GMT from ZF and in this thread I will compare it with my original Black Bay GMT (which I haven't even worn yet, still stickers on the case.

I am very very impressed with the work ZF has done - there are a few things that could be improved but generally it's scary how good the replica is.

Here are the pictures. The original Tudor is on the burgundy leather strap.

h92ws.jpg

h9zVd.jpg

h9QOg.jpg

h9IIR.jpg

h9viZ.jpg

h9uOb.jpg

h2Ag8.jpg

h24sD.jpg

h2XLh.jpg

h2L1s.jpg

h27DX.jpg

Enjoy.

K.o.o.l.

Horology Curious
6/1/19
Here are my observations of what could be improved:

1) Date Wheel - numbers not centered properly

Original:
hGFTy.jpg

Replica:
hGg6a.jpg

2) Case back "teeth"

Original:
sharp, consistent
hGo3R.jpg

Replica:
Some "teeth" are not cut out properly and have a small shiny blob in them, inconsistent size - not as precise.

hGl9g.jpg

The movement is of course another give away - slightly rough to wind and a bit more noisy - and of course it doesn't keep time as well. I have +9 sec before shipping and now in hand have +18 spd which is likely a bit of magnetization during the shipping.

Anyhow in general for a tenth of the price it's pretty amazing how close this watch is to the original.

K.o.o.l.

Horology Curious
6/1/19
Another pretty obvious thing is the elevation of the hour hand from the dial - it's much higher on the replica as you can see in post number 1

Order of hands bottom to top:

Original:
Hours
GMT
Minutes
Seconds

Replica:
GMT
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Hence the difference

Last edited:

Therion666

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
26/12/13
Thanks for this comparison, it has answered every question I had about this watch. The misaligned datewheel is the thing that bothers me the most and I doubt the OCD monster, that lives in me, could ever come to peace with it :D And I can finally see the hand stack issue, I thought I was too thick to figure it out ( I probably am, but it doesn't hurt, so no problem there :) ).

mrbrown0916

Certified
24/1/15
This is a great comparison and you’ve consolidated to ID the main items people will have their concerns with. It’s given me a few things to think about (and I’m sure a few others of us). Cheers!

Reactions: Pyknic and K.o.o.l.

JSwatch

Horology Curious
9/5/17
Very good comparison and the ZF is actually very close. The date wheel misalignment, this I could live with. In practice it’s only the ICHS you can get called out on, if anyone come close enough, I doubt.. Impressive work from ZF, I look forward to I receive my watch here this week. Then if I after some time still like the watch, will get on the list for the gen too. Hope you will enjoy both the gen and the ZF

Reactions: K.o.o.l.

K.o.o.l.

Horology Curious
6/1/19
Thanks guys. And JSwatch please share some pics once you have received yours.

One thing to remember is that there are a few things that are harder to qualify, like the "feel" of things. The gen does feel better, as well as the winding of course as the movement is in a different league. Another thing is the bracelet - while visually being super close when worn, when you open it and comapre details there are a few rather sad omissions on the replica. But hey, am not complaining - the price difference is enormous too. What I am trying to say - there is a better "feeling" when wearing the original especially with the bracelet. I shall do a bracelet comparison next.....

With a leather strap or NATO strap though - the differences are smaller.

Cheers.

JSwatch

Horology Curious
9/5/17
After I have looked closer to yor pictures, I can see, if you zoom very much up at the text on the dial, that here are flaws. This both on the logo as well as the letters. special on th U. Look at the horizontal top lines on the two legs on the U, they are much closer at its others on the gen compared to the ZF. Also the logo, on the gen it’s more sharp in the lines and the windows have radius both outside and inside on the gen, but only outside on the ZF.. overall I can see the text shining and thickness is different. All very small flaws, there possible are impossible to see with the eyes on the watch, but only on large zoomed pictures. I think ZF will improve this on there’s V2,, V3 .. I have a Pelagos from ZF and here is the text and logo much closer to gen, so I think it’s the time for get the first version on marked, there has limited ZF to do all the small details perfect.. it’s still a very nice watch from ZF and when I receive mine tomorrow, I will still enjoy this watch. If we can’t live with small flaws, there is only to go for the gen:)

JSwatch

Horology Curious
9/5/17
Regarding the feeling for the bracelet compared to the gen, try to give the rep bracelet a baby oil bath and rub it dry and clean with a cloth. I did this with mine and the feeling is significant different.

Hakro

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
16/5/15
To me the Dial colour on the gen seems different, Gen is kind of Grey and Rep more Black.

Don‘t know if it‘s the light or my eyes.

K.o.o.l.

Horology Curious
6/1/19
To me the Dial colour on the gen seems different, Gen is kind of Grey and Rep more Black.

Don‘t know if it‘s the light or my eyes.

Yeah, I think you are right, have to put them next to each other again. The gen dial on the pictures has a slight grey sheen to it - it’s probably a bit less in real life otherwise I would have noticed. But it is definitively there.

Sent from the RWI App

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
The hands are quite different too. Notice how the gen hands have slightly rounded edges, and so they reflect more light while the rep hands have sharp edges making them look slightly dull in comparison. Same goes for the markers, in the gen markers the metallic round part is thicker while on the replica is thinner. Your comment about the general feel is very correct and in my opinion is often due to these details. When people say that for some reason the gen shines a bit more is because... It does! Still a great rep anyway.

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
Lovely comparison OP, thanks for taking the time to do it and enjoy your lovely watch.

fuzzmex

2/9/17
Excellent post this, thanks!
In my opinion date misaligment is such a sloppy and obvious giveaway.
Even on any cheap unknown brand gen watch that would put me off I guess.
It's something that is so hard to unsee.
But maybe that's just me...
Apart from that it's not at all a bad rep of course.

HAMMER DOWN

12/5/12
Thanks for the side by side pix! That is much appreciated , and I agree, a scary good rep!

As for the teeth machining in the case back, mine had a lot of burrs in between the teeth like yours, to my surprise after wearing and wiping the caseback with a fibre cloth, a few days the burrs have all been knocked off.

Same for under the bezel in the detent mechanism. If any finds that the bezel feels like the clicks are inconsistent and not positive feeling, a light polish/ wipedown of the teeth under the bezel will knock off burrs and debris from machining process. The results were night and day for me.