• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Pelagos rep bezel the same construction as gen?

Whisperer

Known Member
8/3/17
United States
Do we know if the rep Pelagos XF v3 has the same construction as the gen?

If we were able to source a gen bezel and insert, would we be able to pop the rep bezel off and pop the gen bezel on without much fuss?

Whisperer

Known Member
8/3/17
United States
I'm being picky ( not that watch folks are ever picky :rolleyes: ) but the color of the lumed indices sometimes doesn't look as correct as it could in certain lighting.

I also found a gen bezel and just wanted to try it. From what I've always heard they are nearly impossible to source.

Whisperer

Known Member
8/3/17
United States
More comparison shots. Gen bezel still not installed.
hDIgh.md.jpg
hDCID.md.jpg
hDcOU.md.jpg

Last edited:

Whisperer

Known Member
8/3/17
United States
I made the swap tonight. The gen bezel is on and looks great except it is frozen won't rotate and I gouged a piece of the insert near the top triangle.

Sounds worse than it looks. Pictures soon.

The gasket from my original bezel would not sit in the channel on the gen bezel as the gasket was too large in circumference. I snipped the gasket as I didn't have any others and popped the gen bezel on.

I'm not ultra familiar with bezel mechanisms and troubleshooting them when they are frozen. My best guess is the gasket being too thick is causing it to be stuck. Maybe I'll try sourcing a correctly sized (for the gen bezel) gasket.

I am open to suggestions though.

Whisperer

Known Member
8/3/17
United States
Photos of the gen bezel on. The macro style photos make the gouge in the insert look 10 times worse than in real life.

Last edited:

Whisperer

Known Member
8/3/17
United States
Fantastic news. The bezel now turns.

I was almost sure it was stuck fast. But a warm soapy wash and the later that day a good twist has freed whatever was gumming things up.

It now turns and clicks but with a slight bit of play. I'm going to find a replacement hytrel bezel ring / gasket and see if that fixes the play.

I wonder if Tudor will sell me one or at least tell me the dimensions...

What do you think?

Whisperer

Known Member
8/3/17
United States
Ouch! How did you chip the insert? That’s unfortunate :(

Using one of those bezel removal vice style tools and making a rookie mistake of closing it too far.

The surface of the bezel caught the edge of the frame of the vice before the bezel popped loose.

It obviously not desired. But in person it is a lot less noticeable. Also it gives it that "I'm a tool watch and get used" look. At least that's what I keep telling myself.... :xd:

Reactions: Taz71 and Hor-Fan

Taz71

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/6/16
Parts Unknown
Using one of those bezel removal vice style tools and making a rookie mistake of closing it too far.

The surface of the bezel caught the edge of the frame of the vice before the bezel popped loose.

It obviously not desired. But in person it is a lot less noticeable. Also it gives it that "I'm a tool watch and get used" look. At least that's what I keep telling myself.... :xd:

It gives it character!

Reactions: Whisperer

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
Wow you must have serious OCD , because the difference between the rep bezel and the gen looks look microscopically negligible ( meaning I can't see it in those pics ) . You seem to have shelled out a chunk of money for a new bezel and ended up with a smashed up insert . Sorry but it seems a futile exercise in stupidity.:(

I guess you can tell the girls your insert got chipped while diving fending off a shark .." If it wasn't for Pelagos I'd would lost my hand " .:D

Reactions: KJ2020

Whisperer

Known Member
8/3/17
United States
Wow you must have serious OCD ,

Maybe.

because the difference between the rep bezel and the gen looks look microscopically negligible ( meaning I can't see it in those pics ) .

Look again? The difference in color of both the color and saturation of the black and white portions between the two bezels in the photo below are not because of the angle, distance, or differing light sources. The gen bezel is much richer in the black and whiter in the white.

YhfKX.md.jpg

I will absolutely agree the gen and rep bezel look very similar in some lighting conditions. Usually the whiter and more diffused the light source, the more similar they look. I posted multiple comparison pictures in a previous post that have varying light sources to show this.

You seem to have shelled out a chunk of money for a new bezel

Yes. Well... IDK if I would use the C-word. The gen bezel is in used condition and I spent less on it than I would on an average night out.

and ended up with a smashed up insert .

Yes.

Sorry but it seems a futile exercise in stupidity.:(

I accept your apology but must disagree with your assertation.

While I do wish I had not gouged the gen insert, I actually prefer my watch with the gouged insert vs my watch with the rep one. 10/10 would do it again. To put it another way - I'd rather have a banged up watch that is color correct and that much closer to gen than one that is a safe queen with obvious (to me) tells.

Reactions: Cur

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
Oh and thanks for the long and elaborate reply . . I'm glad to hear the broken insert doesn't look too bad in real life! As it looks very noticeable and total shit in the pictures you posted .