• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

First order from amf - CF 116500 serviced

melody

26/10/21
North carolina, USA.
So i got my first watch from AMF. Their work building and modding is absolutely amazing so i wanted to try them out on a watch i intend to keep for a long time and use WELL even the chronograph. So i placed an order for a CF 116500, serviced and qc’d and waterproofed. After only a month or so it was done and ready to ship, which was amazing.
so after a while it arrived and i popped it out of the box, but it wasn’t running. This worried me a little but then i got it to run. Long story short it took some starting and stopping before it started running for good and stayed that way.

i think three things happened in the post:
1. A hard knock flattened the friction spring causing the chrono to run choppier than usual
2. the same knock took the setting wheel in the keyless and rotated it perpendicular to its axis, jamming it and adding friction to the watch
3. it either experienced extreme cold in the flight, or the o ring in a pusher was deformed but not enough to fail the waterproof test, but failed during testing of the chrono or during the flight (for those who don’t know, daytonas screw down pushers only prevent actuation, they don’t compress the o ring like the crown does) and somehow condensation formed which caused rust inside.

none of these are their fault at all and I don’t want anyone thinking they are.

What AMF did do is offer to help pay for another service, suggest a really really knowledgeable watchmaker to fix it in my country to avoid customs and taxes, and give me the info necessary to do so. So i got it sent out, cleaned and any rust removed, and it just came back yesterday in tip top shape and is my favorite watch in my entire collection so far. I installed genuine LIGA seconds wheel and chrono runner and clutch, and it runs 100% as smooth as gen. Its really beautiful to watch. It keeps great time too within 5 secs.

the watchmaker was WatchServicesNY by the way, and they are very knowledgable about 4130’s and i will be using them again. HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend . They don’t talk much, but you just send your watch out and it comes back perfect, lol. You can just trust them to do it right. And it was a VERY reasonable price for a complex chronograph like this, to the point where i kind of feel like they got ripped off.

as well, AMF’s price was very reasonable too. I don’t know if i am allowed to discuss prices but they were well on the lower end of a price of a service.

while i do wish there was some way to control how it’s handled during shipping, its just not something you can reasonably change.

my next watch will probably be either a franken weird daytona (diw, carbon, something like that) with gen balance, or a AP royal oak franken, and i will be using AMF again (unless they think I’m annoying for making a deal about getting it fixed) as i see them as very trustworthy.

BlueLineFarmer

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/21
So i got my first watch from AMF. Their work building and modding is absolutely amazing so i wanted to try them out on a watch i intend to keep for a long time and use WELL even the chronograph. So i placed an order for a CF 116500, serviced and qc’d and waterproofed. After only a month or so it was done and ready to ship, which was amazing.
so after a while it arrived and i popped it out of the box, but it wasn’t running. This worried me a little but then i got it to run. Long story short it took some starting and stopping before it started running for good and stayed that way.

i think three things happened in the post:
1. A hard knock flattened the friction spring causing the chrono to run choppier than usual
2. the same knock took the setting wheel in the keyless and rotated it perpendicular to its axis, jamming it and adding friction to the watch
3. it either experienced extreme cold in the flight, or the o ring in a pusher was deformed but not enough to fail the waterproof test, but failed during testing of the chrono or during the flight (for those who don’t know, daytonas screw down pushers only prevent actuation, they don’t compress the o ring like the crown does) and somehow condensation formed which caused rust inside.

none of these are their fault at all and I don’t want anyone thinking they are.

What AMF did do is offer to help pay for another service, suggest a really really knowledgeable watchmaker to fix it in my country to avoid customs and taxes, and give me the info necessary to do so. So i got it sent out, cleaned and any rust removed, and it just came back yesterday in tip top shape and is my favorite watch in my entire collection so far. I installed genuine LIGA seconds wheel and chrono runner and clutch, and it runs 100% as smooth as gen. Its really beautiful to watch. It keeps great time too within 5 secs.

the watchmaker was WatchServicesNY by the way, and they are very knowledgable about 4130’s and i will be using them again. HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend . They don’t talk much, but you just send your watch out and it comes back perfect, lol. You can just trust them to do it right. And it was a VERY reasonable price for a complex chronograph like this, to the point where i kind of feel like they got ripped off.

as well, AMF’s price was very reasonable too. I don’t know if i am allowed to discuss prices but they were well on the lower end of a price of a service.

while i do wish there was some way to control how it’s handled during shipping, its just not something you can reasonably change.

my next watch will probably be either a franken weird daytona (diw, carbon, something like that) with gen balance, or a AP royal oak franken, and i will be using AMF again (unless they think I’m annoying for making a deal about getting it fixed) as i see them as very trustworthy.

Can you post pictures of the AMF Daytona.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Glad mike sorted and it worked out well. Not sure about your extreme cold assessment In a cargo hold tho. Was it shipped inside a box?

Reactions: j21

melody

26/10/21
North carolina, USA.

Glad mike sorted and it worked out well. Not sure about your extreme cold assessment In a cargo hold tho. Was it shipped inside a box?

Of course it was in a box with bubble wraps, but as to avoid customs, it was a rather small one, which I don’t blame them for at all. In the states i ship in LARGE boxes to avoid knocks and slightly insulate it from temp. But thats not an option over borders. And Again, just a theory, as it never touched water since the test, and its happened to me before.

Also here’s the pic sorry for my hairy arm lol the sun makes it look worse

melody

26/10/21
North carolina, USA.
it does not appear so.

I don’t care about anything but functionality so i replaced the chrono parts except hammer and hour wheel, as well as the seconds wheel with Gen. Next will be the crown and pushers, and then the balance, and that’s it nothing else planned.
it came out PERFECT by the way from WSNY. Absolutely flawless i use the chrono daily and its just wonderful, and butter smooth with the LIGA parts.
also if any parts ever break or are found to be worn during the service in 5 years (will be using WSNY again) i will replace them with gen too.

Last edited:
Reactions: ProperGains

ProperGains

Supporter
Certified
18/5/22
I don’t care about anything but functionality so i replaced the chrono parts except hammer and hour wheel, as well as the seconds wheel with Gen. Next will be the crown and pushers, and then the balance, and that’s it nothing else planned.
it came out PERFECT by the way from WSNY. Absolutely flawless i use the chrono daily and its just wonderful, and butter smooth with the LIGA parts.
also if any parts ever break or are found to be worn during the service in 5 years (will be using WSNY again) i will replace them with gen too.

What changed about the watch after adding all those Gen movement parts? Do you own a clone without all of those parts and didn’t like it? Do you have a comparison video because it sounds interesting. My watchmakers all said to do something different with clones, so I’m curious about your opinion.

melody

26/10/21
North carolina, USA.
What changed about the watch after adding all those Gen movement parts? Do you own a clone without all of those parts and didn’t like it? Do you have a comparison video because it sounds interesting. My watchmakers all said to do something different with clones, so I’m curious about your opinion.

I actually do! Hold on i will go ahead and link the before. I owned this watch for a few months before adding the gen parts. It had a problem during shipping so i figured i would add gen parts while i get it serviced.
Basically now the chrono hand is as smooth as gen, you might as well watch a video of a genuine daytona, but before it looked like this:
https://youtube.com/shorts/WTPS8i3xX4U?feature=share

ProperGains

Supporter
Certified
18/5/22
I actually do! Hold on i will go ahead and link the before. I owned this watch for a few months before adding the gen parts. It had a problem during shipping so i figured i would add gen parts while i get it serviced.
Basically now the chrono hand is as smooth as gen, you might as well watch a video of a genuine daytona, but before it looked like this:
https://youtube.com/shorts/WTPS8i3xX4U?feature=share

Ok that thing was jumping so bad, I’m amazed it was ticking like that. The new BTF movements move closer to gen, that looked like it wasn’t lubricated or something. It’s good news that they were able to fix the issue.

melody

26/10/21
North carolina, USA.
Ok that thing was jumping so bad, I’m amazed it was ticking like that. The new BTF movements move closer to gen, that looked like it wasn’t lubricated or something. It’s good news that they were able to fix the issue.

It had nothing to do with lubrication or friction. It was actually a lack of friction. Because theres an extra gear in the 4130, even in gen, the extra backlash requires an extra spring just to provide friction. This spring had flattened from likely a knock during shipping. It knocked the keyless works off balance (this is hard to describe but you can look it up its a known issue with all 4130’s) and the weight of the seconds hand and the chrono runner smacked on the spring which was likely sub optimal material anyways so it was flatter than it was supposed to be.
So we put in the gen wheels which have built in sprung teeth which fixed the issue of course. No issue with the movement itself as far as timekeeping. Accuracy and amplitude was great. Would still recommend it 100% just get a video of the movement running first.
and remember, it is almost entirely gen compatible so if something breaks just put in a real one.

Last edited: