• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gate Tudor 7928 Wonky 2813

Tribefan

15/11/19
This is a gate watch with the original movement, raffles dial re-lumed, aged hands and bezel. It's about as budget build as can be done, but it looks great and I can fit it with an oyster, rivet or Nero strap and it wears great as well. The movement has always been wonky, and has given into random starting and stopping. Runs great for 10-15-40 minutes then randomly stops, sometimes it needs coaxing to start others just starts back up. I've witnessed it stopping, but usually I look down a couple of hours later and it's 5-10 minutes behind.

So I put it on a timegrapher and it was wildly out of adjustment. After monkeying around with it for a while, I got it dialed into this:

I put it back together and was wearing while researching what those random dots at the bottom could mean and I could hear the rotor spinning. So I was watching and moved my wrist around to get it going and when the rotor stopped, the watch stopped.

Took off the rotor put it back together and now it off 5 seconds in the last 17 hours.

Back to the random dots, that picture was with the crystal down in the holder. When I flip it 180 degrees, those dots get wilder, amplitude drops to 200ish but it still keep good time, maybe moving a few seconds.

Doing some research, that could indicate a hairspring problem, which would mean swapping the movement. Can do that, but if I don't have to, don't want to. I do not care about auto wind, I have plenty of reserve winding it and this is not a daily wearer. Any harm to running it without the oscillating weight? Any other ideas for tweaking it without stripping it down?

Cheers-