• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Polishing Lathe

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
Hey gang:

Been wanting to venture into refinishing my own bracelets/cases because might as well.

Any recommendations for an affordable beginners lathe and compounds?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
Harbor freight has a bench grinder with a polishing wheel and some cheap composed for less than $50 last time I was there. I just don’t have anywhere to put it but it’s fairly small. Prob about a foot wide.

Hell, here’s one for $30 bucks and comes with a cotton polishing wheel.
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-inch-mini-tool-grinder-polisher-94071.html

You just need to buy a finer polishing wheel and some good compounds.

I just use my polishing drill bit, clamp it down to a bench and use it that way when polishing a case. Then I use my dremel for smaller work.

You can get great results from just using very fine sandpaper as well. I use something called finish sand paper. The finest one feels like paper but it damn sure polishes it. It’s just very time consuming but for work like polishing the chamfered edges, it comes in handy. I just wrap it around flat sanding pad and keep it at a 45 degree angle.

Perpetual

I'm Pretty Popular
23/1/16
Hey gang:

Been wanting to venture into refinishing my own bracelets/cases because might as well.

Any recommendations for an affordable beginners lathe and compounds?

Thanks.

I would shop around for a bench grinder that had a speed setting because "specifically for brushing " requires a slower speed, rather then polishing that requires high speed. Just my 2€

beau7816

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
20/9/16
UK Devon
I used to use a Dremel which is very good and have since purchased a Jooltool which is excellent. I use a test case and scratch it up to practice polishing skills. Now can comfortably say my polishing and brushing skills match new watches.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I got one from Amazon - I specifically searched for one that had a variable speed function, because it seemed pretty clear that controlling the speed would be useful.

It's small but has enough power to polish and buff watch surfaces just fine. I wouldn't expect it to handle anything more demanding though.

beau7816

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
20/9/16
UK Devon
The zJooltool has removed so e quite deep scratches. However you also risk altering the dimensions of the case when using abrasive pads before polishing. There are plenty of vids on YouTube, just type in Jooltool.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
The Jooltool looks a nice bit of kit - being by 3M I guess you’d expect it. But damn it’s expensive!