• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

HR case vs athaya tube

Marshal77

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/8/21
Hello,

Seems that HR 5517 case tube from inside is just a straight tube. Original 702 have star like grooves for the removal tool to grip in.

How to remove HR case tube? And can it be replaced with Athaya 702 case tube?

Marshal77

31/8/21
OK, HR case tube is bigger (in the case side) than Athaya tube.

HR case tube 3.33mm / 4.57 mm
Athaya 2.85mm / 4.92mm

pompompurin

:3
Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
You can remove the movement first, then hammer in a rat tail file into the stock HR tube, and then use a pair of pliers to grip onto the rat tail file and unscrew the HR tube.

Once the HR tube is out, I recommend tapping the hole to ensure that gen-spec / athaya tubes can fit the threads. The proper Rolex tap for 7030 and 7020 tube is M3 x 0.35

You might need to make the hole slightly recessed so that the the new tube and crown can fit closer to the case.

if you are unfamiliar with modding, I recommend giving it to a watchmaker and let them figure it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: heska

Marshal77

31/8/21
You can remove the movement first, then hammer in a rat tail file into the stock HR tube, and then use a pair of pliers to grip onto the rat tail file and unscrew the HR tube.

Once the HR tube is out, I recommend tapping the hole to ensure that gen-spec / athaya tubes can fit the threads. The proper Rolex tap for 7030 and 7020 tube is M3 x 0.35

You might need to make the hole slightly recessed so that the the new tube and crown can fit closer to the case.

if you are unfamiliar with modding, I recommend giving it to a watchmaker and let them figure it out.
Thanks for the help, but with due all respect, that will not work.

As I wrote:
From the case side,
Gen spec 7020 athaya tube is 2.85mm.
HR tube is 3.33mm

I make it really simple :
If HR case has hole to fit 3.4mm tube, 2.9mm Athaya tube is just completely loose and spins around, never threading into case.

Its really frustrating, I dont understand why HR has decided to drill such a big hole to a case, in my opinion its not gen spec.

On a sidenote about the crown :
HR claims gen crown fits to HR tube, but I beg to differ, athaya 702crown should be gen spec and that crown just simply does not screw in to HR tube, due size mismatch, Athaya crown is simply too big.

Last edited: