• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A new franken project - 116710LN

shadys

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
8/6/20
I lived in China from 2014 to 2020 and got myself acquainted with a few known modders, Laowang, FS and etc. I have modded a 116710LN in 2015 with a Noob V8 but the result is not quite up to my standards because the movement does not have instant date change and gen dials needed alteration to fit with the chinese 3186 movement. Also, the SEL fitment is bad and not recessed and does not quite look like the GEN.

With the introduction of the new VR super 3186 movement, I've always wanted to have a perfect franken 116710LN and now I've finally set my hands on this project. I haven't got it yet but I will provide info on how this project is done as it's moving forward.

So I talked this modder, also a Gen parts supplier in China, called FS. He's got quite a few spare gen parts for 116710LN, 116610LN, 116520. Sometimes even 116500LN and 116610LV. But those to me are not worth making super frankens as they are way too pricy that I'd worry about damages and impossible to get replacement at RSC. So I'd rather just buy gens for those models.

He started out by sending me a photo of the project he had done before with his logo FS on the back and everything:

Then I pointed out that I'm mostly worried about the SEL fitment as the other visible parts of the watch are mostly switched to gen parts anyway. So I circled out the part that I'm worried:

Then he said he could try with all other bracelets he has from ARF until I'm happy with the result. I was ok with that and transferred him 9500RMB (Approx. $1500USD) through Alipay to get him started on it.

A few days later he sent me a few photos asking me if this one is ok:

I circled out where I wasn't satisfied and sent him a comparison of my Franken 116520 saying that I was happy with my 116520 and if he could keep trying other bracelets:

One day later he sends me some new photos and I'm happy with the results this time:

So this is where I am now and waiting for him to install gen parts including bezel, dial, hands and crystal and date wheel for what 9500RMB is all included. He will also do clasp modding for me for this price so the edges won't be sharp as they are out of the box.

When this is assembled, I will either have him to ship to Canada which is a bit risky going through customs and everything, or have a friend who is coming from China to Canada to bring it over for me. Most likely the latter. I think overall it's a really good deal considering the service I'm getting (SEL fitment tryout, clasp modding and etc.) and five gen parts that are being installed onto this watch.

I will update once I get something new.

Reactions: dru and KJ2020

shadys

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
8/6/20
So here are the final pics. I’m happy with the recessed endlinks after QC. Gonna enjoy it a lot
0a5336af81a8e1878d5f2b725071e416.jpg

e8c73f6062aaf53db110f76bf5066541.jpg

cd2c98faf19a1d94f262eb8be2396f70.jpg

Reactions: micksmith1987